Sponsored by:

News from the Thunderbolt race?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:23 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Garylimey
Congrats, I have some good footage of racing with you for a while, nicely done.
I will post it later today
Thanks Gary....
It really broke my heart to see your car on the tire wall...
You and Frank were really battling it out till the incident....
Hope to race with you again soon....
Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks Gary....
It really broke my heart to see your car on the tire wall...
You and Frank were really battling it out till the incident....
Hope to race with you again soon....
Thx, I look forward to next year.
I took today off work so I could chill a little, so I will be working on that video in while.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:17 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Some clips from blue sprint races 2 and 3.

Sprint race 2: I started on pole and held the lead for 2 laps of defensive driving. Then the inevitable happened… this is when the video starts. The red SP3 (Katz) exited T1 better than me and brilliantly (great move) stuck its nose on the inside for T2 (where you don’t really want to go 2 wide). I lost momentum and got passed by the red SP3 and the black 993 (Healy) GT5S. I continued to drive semi defensive and they both gained on me. Then I started driving a little better, we ran into traffic, I passed the red SP3 back and tried to catch the black 993. I finished 2nd overall.
http://vimeo.com/6365360

Sprint race 3: I started on the outside of the front row. It was wet and there was standing water in T1. I had this thought that I was going to wreck at the start. I was tentative when the green flag dropped and was passed by 5 cars. I was now 6th because the pole sitter (black 993 – Healy) went off track in T1. The video is from the start to the point where I get back into 2nd position overall, where I finished. I really enjoyed dicing it with Tim Costa in the white spbox.
http://vimeo.com/6365262

I will post some enduro footage later.

Last edited by FredC; 08-31-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:44 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Fred,

Great video....talk about using ALL of the track and squeezing every drop of power out of that 911. I found the difference in drive line selection between you and Steve to be interesting.

Thanks for sharing the footage.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice driving Fred. Love the way you used the rumble strips. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:09 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, that was some amazing driving, Fred!

You are the only guy I know who drives through water to go faster (to clean off the mud).

Your speed in the last turn, after the water under the bridge, was crazy... all 4 wheels on the apex curbing, and no lift. I always thought you should avoid curbs when wet (paint is slippery). Please stay out of cup cars.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow Fred I'm exhausted just watching those. I can't believe you were pulling on that Boxster on the straight. I think you straightened the track about as much as it can go. Awesome stuff.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by analogmike
I always thought you should avoid curbs when wet (paint is slippery). Please stay out of cup cars.
The inside curb of the last turn was bone dry (most of the curbs were). But regardless I drove over it in a straightline (as much as possible...) To maximize exit speed and mitigate the risk of slipping. Cup cars??? Can't afford to buy the tires, let alone the car and crashing one... You guys operate at a whole different level of financial and health risk!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Freddy........

Your driving looks a lot like Dave Murry's.......using all the track, curbs included, to maximize your radius and carry more speed.....

Great job!........
Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Garylimey
Thx, I look forward to next year.
I took today off work so I could chill a little, so I will be working on that video in while.
Gary, sorry to see your car bent. Watched your video and the guy was really out of shape before track out. You would have been better off wide or backing off. "That was a text book "spin in". bummer.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Some clips from blue sprint races 2 and 3.

Sprint race 2: I started on pole and held the lead for 2 laps of defensive driving. Then the inevitable happened… this is when the video starts. The red SP3 (Katz) exited T1 better than me and brilliantly (great move) stuck its nose on the inside for T2 (where you don’t really want to go 2 wide). I lost momentum and got passed by the red SP3 and the black 993 (Healy) GT5S. I continued to drive semi lousy and they both gained on me. Then I started driving a little better, we ran into traffic, I passed the red SP3 back and tried to catch the black 993. I finished 2nd overall.
http://vimeo.com/6365360

Sprint race 3: I started on the outside of the front row. It was wet and there was standing water in T1. I had this thought that I was going to wreck at the start. I was tentative when the green flag dropped and was passed by 5 cars. I was now 6th because the pole sitter (black 993 – Healy) went off track in T1. The video is from the start to the point where I get back into 2nd position overall, where I finished. I really enjoyed dicing it with Tim Costa in the white spbox.
http://vimeo.com/6365262

I will post some enduro footage later.
Great driving Fred. I have to remember that the track doesn't necessarily have to be asphalt. Look forward to seeing you at SP. Hope Dwayne Moses shows up
Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Freddy........

Your driving looks a lot like Dave Murry's.......using all the track, curbs included, to maximize your radius and carry more speed.....

Great job!........
Paolo you are hilarious! Good one!

Last edited by FredC; 08-31-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

So Fred if I decide to race next year how many laps are you going to spot me.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:23 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fred,
It was great fun running the SBOX this weekend and I assure you I was putting down everything that little car had to stay with/ahead of you. It was a blast running with you and the rest of the guys in the "blue" group. I definatley have a new appreciation for the balance of the Boxster platform. The fact that I could even stay that close to you with 187hp and R888 tires is all about set up and keeping your momentum. The cars we were using are built and prepaired by Scott Leapold and Kenny Shreves at Werkstatt, http://www.werkstattcville.com and they did/do a WONDERFUL job!!!

All in all a great weekend!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Fred,
It was great fun running the SBOX this weekend and I assure you I was putting down everything that little car had to stay with/ahead of you. It was a blast running with you and the rest of the guys in the "blue" group. I definatley have a new appreciation for the balance of the Boxster platform. The fact that I could even stay that close to you with 187hp and R888 tires is all about set up and keeping your momentum. The cars we were using are built and prepaired by Scott Leapold and Kenny Shreves at Werkstatt, http://www.werkstattcville.com and they did/do a WONDERFUL job!!!

All in all a great weekend!!!!
Tim you drove the wheels off that car. I will say that you used all of the potential of the brakes - you were braking at the 3 marker at T1 while there was still a puddle??????? Just amazing to watch!

Quick Reply: News from the Thunderbolt race?