Sponsored by:

News from the Thunderbolt race?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 AM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
There was a white Spec Boxster that I thought was way over aggressive, and I approached the guy. I could catch him on an open track from way back, but he'd slam the door on a clean pass regularly, only through God's grace did I miss him more than twice. And then on Sunday, the first race and the very first time into turn 1, (the pace lap didn't take us there) he dived bombed the whole field into the standing water, my footage is again revealing; let's just say that none of us were impressed, nor were we even in his class.
Major bummer - according to the race results, he must have blocked you for the entire 18 lap race. Probably some inexperienced guy driving over his head.....
Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:
There was a white Spec Boxster that I thought was way over aggressive, and I approached the guy. I could catch him on an open track from way back, but he'd slam the door on a clean pass regularly, only through God's grace did I miss him more than twice. And then on Sunday, the first race and the very first time into turn 1, (the pace lap didn't take us there) he dived bombed the whole field into the standing water, my footage is again revealing; let's just say that none of us were impressed, nor were we even in his class.

Major bummer - according to the race results, he must have blocked you for the entire 18 lap race. Probably some inexperienced guy driving over his head.....
Yea, I cant wait to see some of gums "edited" video to see where I was driving soooo aggressivley. The pass I made into T1 was as clean as any all weekend and I would'ne hessitate to do it again tomorrow. This is racing isnt it????
Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Anyone have in-car from the red run group?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Enduro

Hey Gums! While you are certainly entitiled to your opinions, please allow me to express mine. I co drove with Tim in the Spec Box #187 and started the Enduro. I knew you were behind me at the start and was aware of your conversations with Tim. Would you say that trying to run me off the track at Turn 4 is also "revealing" and/or "over aggressive?" I knew what to expect and was ready for your pass, but hey that's racing. I am not complaining and I did not see the need to speak directly to you. Like you, I am unimpressed as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bella and Tim,
glad you're here so we can understand both sides.
I will be posting video as soon as I can edit down, mostly for my own edification.
No, Tim, you didn't hold me up for 18 laps, I decided not to mess with you when my position in class was solid and I was nearly crashed out, as you'll see.
Bella, I'm not aware of a close one at T4, nor did I know when you were in the car, perhaps earlier experiences with that car dictated my tactics.
Let's not get personal here, it was a great weekend of racing and I don't want to sound like a complainer, but my safety record speaks for itself and I want to keep it that way.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:23 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Agreed

Bella and Tim,
glad you're here so we can understand both sides.
I will be posting video as soon as I can edit down, mostly for my own edification.
No, Tim, you didn't hold me up for 18 laps, I decided not to mess with you when my position in class was solid and I was nearly crashed out, as you'll see.
Bella, I'm not aware of a close one at T4, nor did I know when you were in the car, perhaps earlier experiences with that car dictated my tactics.
Let's not get personal here, it was a great weekend of racing and I don't want to sound like a complainer, but my safety record speaks for itself and I want to keep it that way.
Sounds good. Thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

All in sport, guys, I just love to race and wanna stay at it for a long time.....
Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

All in sport, guys, I just love to race and wanna stay at it for a long time.....
+1!

For me (I was in SPBOX 186, the other white one), I had a total blast racing this weekend. It was very competitive under different track conditions, and I really enjoyed racing against the 944 contingent (sort of felt like Cougar in Top Gun where Migs were all over him...). Looking over the timesheets - the variances between fast and slow wasn't all that much, so close, fun racing to be had from all positions. I had numerous passes back and forth with the 944s and that experience really helped me think through how to exit just one or two mph better than the competition, or think through different lines at different sections of the track to try to negotiate a hopefully clean pass. And screw up just a bit on an apex, turn in and track out, all the momentum is killed! All in all, a great (and fortunately not costly) learning experience.

Most importantly, I am even more impressed with the Porsche marquee - I am constantly amazed that 20-30 year old cars run as well as they do and as fast as they go, and how well balanced those little "Barbie" cars (SPBOX) go. Go Porsche!!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Yeah man, for me; possibly the best race weekend ever. So comfy with the VIP suites right over a garage, I was showering between sessions(!), my kids were there for the first time ever, and there was SO much racing in a weekend, it was almost too much. We had four races, our 944 points championship only counts 10, so that was nearly half the season right there!
I love mixing it up with all kinds of cars, but had to bear in mind that we're chasing a championship as well, which, it should be said, now belongs to Katz with a perfect 10 win season.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Head

Originally Posted by thusly
Yeah right his shiny bald head!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

I love mixing it up with all kinds of cars, but had to bear in mind that we're chasing a championship as well, which, it should be said, now belongs to Katz with a perfect 10 win season.
Probably should have done staggered starts if that was the case?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Normally, we do split starts and get our own grid. PCA didn't want to do it for some reason, we had asked for it. We had enough cars to support it.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone know what the official PCA call was on the big cup car accident on Saturday? Major mess.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM
DanR
Drifting

I think Musante got a 13 for spinning in T1 and the other 2 cups did not get a 13. Certainly Valentine ran the second race so can not have received a 13
Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by thusly
Probably should have done staggered starts if that was the case?
Staggered starts? I hope we won't see them again in PCA. Isn't more fun for the 944 cup guys to also have to deal with other cars? More action, more strategy and racecraft, more risks.

Quick Reply: News from the Thunderbolt race?