News from the Thunderbolt race?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:30 AM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

My version of the first yellow sprint:
http://vimeo.com/6352580

It's been nearly a year since I last raced and I just wanted to survive.

-KJ
Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks to all the Yellow and Orange group racers. It was great seeing some new faces on the podium, Fred this doesn't include you! Joe M, congrats on your win. It was really cool having the top three cars in class all in a row going into the last lap, unfortunately, I got the short end of it, but it could have been worse. In my hast to avoid contact with Roger, I spun on the wet grass which shot me across the track between 1 and 2 without contact, thanks drovers!.

It was great meeting a few rennlisters this weeekend and kudos to Paolo, you got quicker all weekend and finished well. Your driving lessons paid off!

I really like the format this weekend, 3 sprints, all for points (especially when the racing is close) and a 1hour enduro was a nice change. I would like to see more of this format.

Charlie
Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Garylimey
When I saw Fred coming I waved him by, he was not held up by me what so ever .

However unfortunately I was the carnage thanks to a 911 that I was trying to lap at about 50 minutes. He took me out when he lost control trying to stop me from passing him. He drove into my drivers front tyre deflating it as well as punting me of track and into the flag station. My car was destroyed!!!

My qusetion is why overdrove to stop a faster car from ANOTHER CLASS passing you??????
Now my race season is over and I have to find Around $15,000 to $20,000 to put my Firehawk back together.
Holly sh#t Gary, so sorry to hear that eapecially after the Glen! I had it at the back (probably the front) of my mind not to wreck first time out after after my Glen wreck.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by DanR
Holly sh#t Gary, so sorry to hear that eapecially after the Glen! I had it at the back (probably the front) of my mind not to wreck first time out after after my Glen wreck.
Thx Dan, my car is totally "knackered".
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 AM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

yes gary sorry to see but thank god u r ok !
vito
Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
Joe, that was a lot of fun. Remember, it's all about exit speed. ;-)

With some of the other fast F cars either spinning, wrecking, or leaving on Saturday (thanks to Joe), I managed to win the points challenge with 2 second place finishes and a third. I wasn't the fastest car out there, but managed to keep it on the pavement and avoid serious delays during the sprints.

That was, however, until the enduro. While trying to pass a lower-classed car, I lost the back end in the right-hander after the hill and put it gently into the tires track right. A little body damage but nothing too serious.

Thanks to all of the Schattenbaum and national volunteers for their time in organizing and running the event.
Wow Jerome,

I hope the car is not bad enough to keep out at SP.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Sean - where is the Blue Sprint video with you starting at the back?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks to the Schattenbaum region for putting such a great event together. I can only imagine that the njmp club race will continue to grow in popularity. What a nice facility.

Definitely an eventful weekend with major wrecks throughout and very competitive racing. It was fun to watch Charlie and Colin swap fastest times and split race wins. The last red sprint was also exciting with Mike I and another gtc3 driver finishing within a fraction of a second from one another.

I was really impressed with Paolo's progression during the weekend. Session after session you shaved serious chunks from your times. Great driving. Kudos to you Paolo and congrats for the podium.

Gary your car perched on the tire wall was a horrible sight and I am glad to read that you got out unscathed. You were clearly not lucky. It sucks to crash when you are trying to lap someone... from a different class. Good luck with the rebuild. SP3 seems like a good class. Lots of tight racing in that group so good for you to be among them.

For my part, I had good battles with Kevin Healey in his GT5S 993, Steve Katz in his SP3, and Tim Costa in his spbox. Passing you ninjabones in the enduro was not easy as you seriously did a really good job protecting your position (I will post video later).

Gary R, the gang missed you and hope to see you back in the HairyDog paddock soon. Speaking of which, I must say that Dan Jacobs is simply amazing. It is eye opening to see how much help he has provided to so many people throughout the weekend. You rock Dan J and you sure know how to set up a car! Jerry Austin who was there to help Dan J with track support is a phenomenal data guy (and really nice guy overall too). He looked at my data from sprint 2 (the only totally dry track sprint we had) and found me precious time in turn 1. Pretty cool stuff that data when an expert helps you interpret it.

It is a lot of fun to spend time with people who share a passion for racing Porsches. Great group of friends!

Last I must say that I largely prefer Lightning over Thunderbolt. But racing is racing whatever track we run!

Sorry for the contrived post :-)

Last edited by FredC; 08-31-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Fred, you drove the wheels off that old car. I never worked harder trying to keep a faster driver in a slower car behind me. That was awesome driving man. Trying to stay in front of you and Kevin during the first part of the enduro took everything I had. That's the first time I ever had the pole and I wasn't planning on giving it up without a fight.

Last edited by ninjabones; 08-31-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Thanks to the Schattenbaum region for putting such a great event together. I can only imagine that the njmp club race will continue to grow in popularity. What a nice facility.

Definitely an eventful weekend with major wrecks throughout and very competitive racing. It was fun to watch Charlie and Colin swap fastest times and split race wins. The last red sprint was also exciting with Mike I and another gtc3 driver finishing within a fraction of a second from one another.

I was really impressed with Paolo's progression during the weekend. Session after session you shaved serious chunks from your times. Great driving. Kudos to you Paolo!!!

Gary your car perched on the tire wall was a horrible sight and I am glad to read that you got out unscathed. You were clealry not lucky. It sucks to crash when you are trying to lap someone... from a different class. Good luck with the rebuild. SP3 seems like a good class. Lots of tight racing in that group so good for you to be among them.

For my part, I had good battles with Kevin Healey in his GT5S 993, Steve Katz in his SP3, and Tim Costa in his spbox. Passing you ninjabones in the enduro was not easy as you seriously did a really good job protecting your position (I will post video later).

Gary R, the gang missed you and hope to see you back in the HairyDog paddock soon. Speaking of which, I must say that Dan Jacobs is simply amazing. It is eye opening to see how much help he has provided to so many people throughout the weekend. You rock Dan J and you sure know how to set up a car! Jerry Austin who was there to help Dan J with track support is a phenomenal data guy (and really nice guy overall too). He looked at my data from sprint 2 (the only totally dry track sprint we had) and found me precious time in turn 1. Pretty cool stuff that data when an expert helps you interpret it.
It is a lot of fun to spend time with people who share a passion for racing Porsches. Great group of friends!

Last I must say that I largely prefer Lightning over Thunderbolt. But racing is racing whatever track we run!

Sorry for the contrived post :-)
BIG congrats Fred! Of course it's just come to be expected now so I think it's time for you to move to GTC3..

Vito and Mike I. called me from the track and made me sad so i'm not going to race anymore.....

Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC

I was really impressed with Paolo's progression during the weekend. Session after session you shaved serious chunks from your times. Great driving. Kudos to you Paolo and congrats for the podium........
Thanks Fred, I feel like a learned a ton about racing just by hanging out and racing with the boys.........

As far as the podium.......well......a big bonus for the whole week-end.....

BTW, great event, Pete D. congrats in the well run race.......
Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Did I read that right... podium?? CONGRATS PAOLO!!!!! Did ya kiss Dan J. when you came in?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on your podium Doc. Please tell us more...
Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks guys......

I lucked out and got the smallest piece of the podium in the orange enduro....

Still a long way to go, but at least now I can say I tasted a bit of victory.......
Old 08-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Congrats, I have some good footage of racing with you for a while, nicely done.
I will post it later today

Quick Reply: News from the Thunderbolt race?