Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
90 hp 912. I think I need to start giving points to guys heading into South bend as I am cresting the hill on the back straight. Between the air resistance and the hill the pointers on the gauges just stop moving.
Feel your pain, I give a blanket point-by at the Instructor's meeting on Saturday, covers the entire weekend & makes it easy on my left arm....
Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
...and yes some of these instructors let me hit 150+ mph close on them and as I run up on them anticipating a point bye from an alert instructor I dont get one and hit the brakes instead, then they see me close on their bumper because I was forced to brake since I got no point by. does that make sense?
That makes no sense at all. Not what you said, but what you described. If you are going down a straight at 150 mph which is proably only possible in your car I would not wait for a point by on a straight away. Heck anyone in an advanced instructor run group needs to hold their line on a straight enough to have car flash by and no spook them. Hitting the brakes to then wait for point by is DANGERIOUS. Much more so than just driving by.

As a racer of a slow car I do look in my mirrors often, but on a long straight with you at 150 and my at well 110 you will get going from a dot to there right now. I may not have time to give a point by, but I promise never to take away the passing line without checking mirrors. As a slow car you have to expect guys to arrive in brake zone out of no where. Anyway I just don't think I could give a point fast enough, but I am smart enough to not slam the door on turn in without giving a point by.

Heck If guy in advnaced can't check his mirros before turn in he does not belong that kind group. You have no business slowing down on a straight "waiting for pass" go and take it... Now slowing to allow a faster low hp car pass is an entirely different situation and not a part of this discussion.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Awww Geeeez...

This is really devolving. The more time goes by, the more I'm starting to side with the CI. All we rail birds really have to go on here is intuition. I am sure there is WAY more to this than meets the eye. What's filling my eye in this thread - over time - is that you just have way more boost than you know what to do with. That can be a blessing as well as a curse, and I'm not talking about the car. That is another problem altogether.

I've run across a few "guys like you" over the years (mostly worse), and I have to say that a lot of them really struggle. They almost set themselves up for failure. The Type A thing really gets to be a boor after a while, and the care and feeding of that "personality" becomes tedious to the point that one just wishes it gone. Even if you give back as much as you "cost them," in time the benefit gets lost in a cost that becomes too great. In short, you might just not be worth it to them anymore.

I think you need to take some time and SERIUOSLY consider what your automotive goals are. You need to think about blending in a bit, both personally and autmotively. Sticking out furthest gets you knocked off first in many cases. Step back, get some Zen going, and ask yourself what is most important to you and what makes you happiest?

In the final analysis, you've gotten here on your own. I scarcely think it is really where you want to be.

Best of luck, and I mean that.
John your first post I take offense at, you couldnt be more wrong. but thanks for your opinion.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Referring to "a" CTI as a "*****" (it is a thankless job) and encouragiong "aggressive" driving for "real men" is hardly an environment conducive to a "Safety First" attitude which is what every PCA DE should have. However, I will assume that it was a bit of rhetoric to fit the theme of the thread, but if that is how it really is...then you don't have to worry about this "*****"
Hey Dave, no offense ment to you at all! It's all "tongue in cheek".
Also what I meant as "agressive" would be "9-10/10ths" driving.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:44 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
That makes no sense at all. Not what you said, but what you described. If you are going down a straight at 150 mph which is proably only possible in your car I would not wait for a point by on a straight away. Heck anyone in an advanced instructor run group needs to hold their line on a straight enough to have car flash by and no spook them. Hitting the brakes to then wait for point by is DANGERIOUS. Much more so than just driving by.

As a racer of a slow car I do look in my mirrors often, but on a long straight with you at 150 and my at well 110 you will get going from a dot to there right now. I may not have time to give a point by, but I promise never to take away the passing line without checking mirrors. As a slow car you have to expect guys to arrive in brake zone out of no where. Anyway I just don't think I could give a point fast enough, but I am smart enough to not slam the door on turn in without giving a point by.

Heck If guy in advnaced can't check his mirros before turn in he does not belong that kind group. You have no business slowing down on a straight "waiting for pass" go and take it... Now slowing to allow a faster low hp car pass is an entirely different situation and not a part of this discussion.
Joe maybe that was a poor description of a somewhat hypothetical situation
my point was when approaching a slower car in a passing zone and staying on the gas expecting an anticpated point bye and just not getting it then so as to not "pass without a point bye" one would have to hit ones brakes. at that point there would be no further pass attempts in that zone.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Hey Dave, no offense ment to you at all! It's all "tongue in cheek".
Also what I meant as "agressive" would be "9-10/10ths" driving.
Tongue, cheek, *****, ride....this thread is on a slow decent to...well....the I'd Hit It thread!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:55 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Tom PM Sent
Old 06-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom, those guys at your PCA region are a bunch of pussies! The CTI is the biggest ***** of all!!!!
There, I said it! You are welcome to run at our region anytime! We are all real men here, and can take "agressive driving" as much as we can dish it out!
Like many have said before, you are a class act, and it's really their loss.
Really? What region is that? Are you familiar with the Suncoast Region and its DE and racing programs?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom, those guys at your PCA region are a bunch of pussies! The CTI is the biggest ***** of all!!!!
There, I said it! You are welcome to run at our region anytime! We are all real men here, and can take "agressive driving" as much as we can dish it out!
Like many have said before, you are a class act, and it's really their loss.
Really? What region is that? Are you familiar with the Suncoast Region and its DE and racing programs?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,706 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Passed them without a signal? Sounds like you're both at fault there...hard to complain about being thrown out of an event when you blatantly broke one of the biggest safety rules IMO. It's only a few more seconds to pit in from the back straight where you could have reported the offenders and been let back out on track in open space. That said, BMW Club Racing has plenty of folks who seem to have done the "mirror delete" modification to their cars.
not sure if you are talking to me or just to the OP.
i would expect a point by if i reel someone in on the straight. i will be WOT and will get very close to your bumper. afterall sometime this is the ONLY way certain drivers can see you. some time, the real dim wits dont see you until you actually hit them (luckily most my track mates are not so dim witted).

that said, if you dont point me by, i will veer off line or brake hard (chking my mirror first so the car behind me wont have to use me as his brakes), stay behind the lead car then report him. but i did pass without point by in the past, i have been warned and i have learned.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,706 Likes on 2,342 Posts

The point here is this, I NEVER broke ANY rules. never passed without a point bye.
I was flagged for getting on the gas at in the corner of an approach to the passing zone ie coming out of turn 5 into 6 and passing before the first bridge at Sebring if that is familiar. things like that. and fine I stand corrected.

and yes some of these instructors let me hit 150+ mph close on them and as I run up on them anticipating a point bye from an alert instructor I dont get one and hit the brakes instead, then they see me close on their bumper because I was forced to brake since I got no point by. does that make sense?
dont get me wrong, not saying you broke the rules. i was speaking in general terms. and i thougth it may have been your closing speed that may have caught attention of other participants. i know that b/c i was hounded for that same reason for a while.

the organizer and i talked... well more like we had a shouting match and then less loud shouting match and then talked and understood each other.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John your first post I take offense at, you couldnt be more wrong. but thanks for your opinion.
Hmmmmm....

That in itself may provide further enlightenment. I'm sorry for offending you, as it is not what I intended. Are you not a "Type A" guy, running "lots of boost," and struggling terribly right now? Then, if so, might not the mirror be calling you?

It's a real hard thing to do, but just to make extra sure, I'd look there first.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:08 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
not sure if you are talking to me or just to the OP.
pretty sure he was talking to BrianKeithSmith since that's who he quoted...
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I'm not familiar with them. I was commenting based on their response to this situation, which clearly shows they have some form of erectile disfunction.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hmmmmm....

That in itself may provide further enlightenment. I'm sorry for offending you, as it is not what I intended. Are you not a "Type A" guy, running "lots of boost," and struggling terribly right now? Then, if so, might not the mirror be calling you?

It's a real hard thing to do, but just to make extra sure, I'd look there first.
thanks John I will ask my therapist

Quick Reply: My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!