Sponsored by:

Passing in corners at DE's in advanced run groups

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Passing in corners at DE's in advanced run groups

As I'm sure some of you may know the powers that be in PCA are going to conduct a test to allow passing anywhere, including corners, in the advanced/instructors run groups at the upcomming DE at VIR.

I'D LIKE TO HAVE A SERIOUS AND CONGENIAL DISCUSSION ON THIS. Please keep any dirrogatory remarks to yourself.

Here is the email and I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.
Thanks.

---------------
Greetings to the Entrants of the Red and Black Run Groups:

The PCA Zone 2 DE at VIR has been chosen by the National PCA Drivers Education Committee to conduct an Expanded Passing test. They are proposing the following changes to the Instructor run groups in terms of passing zones. The rules set forth are as follows:

1. THIS IS NOT RACING!

2. The Expanded Passing will include all portions of the track including turns WITH A HAND SIGNAL initiating the pass.

3. When entering a turn with another car..NO ONE OWNS THE TURN...Each driver is entitled to 50 % of the track. This will teach co-existence.

4. No passengers are allowed in these run groups.

5. Any passing done without a signal may result in the expulsion from this test.

6. Any Black or Red run group entrant who does not want to participate in test can choose to run in the White Run Group by informing the Registrar.

7. You DO NOT have to give a pass signal in a corner if you do not feel comfortable or safe doing it.

8. The Test will held on Friday afternoon or Saturday, weather permitting, and then we will reassess whether the entrants, Zone 2 DE Chief Instructor, and National, want to continue with the program for the remainder of the weekend.

After the normal Instructor meeting, there will a special meeting for black and red run group entrants describing this program in more detail. Attendance at this meeting is mandatory. If you do not attend this meeting , you can not participate in this program. We encourage all participants to participate in a web based forum concerning this program, which will be located on the motorsportreg.com web site.

We have created a forum topic on the MotorsportReg.com website for further discussions and questions. This forum will be monitored by Pete Tremper, National DE Chair and Tom Zaffarano, Zone 2 DE Chief Instructor.

Thank you for your time,
Zone 2 VIR DE Committee
Old 02-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is a great idea and I am sorry I will miss this "test". It would make the event much more interesting and enjoyable for me.

Several other sanctioning organizations have been doing this successfully for years. Why not PCA?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats to Pete for forward thinking and working to improve the program.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000

This seems to work well wherever it is tried, and by whatever group. I hope PCA does this nationwide.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:19 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Good way to roll it out too. I suspect it will work out well as it has in other venues.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Went well when PCA used this format at PBIR a couple months ago.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Have done this with other non-PCA groups and it worked fine. Most of the passing was done with the overtaken car going way offline and relatively slowly so the pass was quick and very clean.
Well worth a try.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 AM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave is right, this is actually the second test program that Pete has done. The first was with Gold Coast at PBIR. It went perfectly. We spent a lot of time getting it through and making sure everyone was on the same page. I think this is a very important step for the PCA.........so DON"T SCREW IT UP BOYS!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

One suggestion, Eddie:

Eliminate point #4 for instructors. IMO, instructors should always be encouraged to take students in their passenger seats.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Chin Motorsports has allowed passing anywhere in the advanced/instructors group for as long as I remember. I see about the same guys running with PCA as with Chin in my area so this should work for PCA.

Just remember you do not have to give a point by for a corner if you do not feel safe doing so. If the guy behind you gets mad..well so be it...this is not racing!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Chin Motorsports has allowed passing anywhere in the advanced/instructors group for as long as I remember. I see about the same guys running with PCA as with Chin in my area so this should work for PCA.

Just remember you do not have to give a point by for a corner if you do not feel safe doing so. If the guy behind you gets mad..well so be it...this is not racing!
Agree on both points. Chin does a great job with this, and it sure keeps the traffic moving. Not sure I'd do it in anything but adv. solo/instructor groups, however.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums

The BMW Clubs at Road Atlanta and Barber both do this as well for instructors. Works like a charm.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A very positive change! Although it is possible to safely pass anywhere on any track there may be areas where the risk of an incident is much higher. IIRC, the cups & saucers event at WGI (open passing with signal) does not allow passing in the esses. I have only once been at VIR but I recall you also have a set of uphill esses that can be a little dicey. For the sake of predictability cars getting passed should remain on-line.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it's a great idea.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

We've done it with a group I run with for years. Works well when the driver's are competent.

Quick Reply: Passing in corners at DE's in advanced run groups