Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
I love the way the Ganassi guys had the nerve to whine about power..... What about the WHOLE of last year, Pruett is good (Rojas is not), but not that good. The break GA (new cams, amongst other things) gave them for the final race of 07' has left them with more power than the entire field for that race and the last year....
I have to disagree here. Pruett IS that good.

He is fast in every car he gets in. He's regularly recruited by other teams to work with younger drivers. He's won at pretty much every level he's been at with NASCAR Sprint Cup level being the only one I can think of that he hasn't (although he's had a few podiums). He's won multiple season titles in multiple cars with multiple organizations.

The guy can drive.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:11 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

VR: He can't; thats his makeup. Like you like to joke around, etc............ Cant change stripes on a tiger or some such.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
VR: He can't; thats his makeup. Like you like to joke around, etc............ Cant change stripes on a tiger or some such.
Meh...maybe you're right. It just seems that he missed a golden opportunity to burnish his star rather than add to the poop stains everyone has seen on it for years.

Asto the comment about the staid PR comments, I agree. I hate them, too. Listen to Bill Auberlen sometime. But I would rather hear them, and some congratulations offered to the victor (as Montoya's teammates did) then boo-****ing-hoo whining about this or that.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ I agree w/ your points. But, we all were watching and not "vested". He just raced his heart out and lost, he knows it, but his competitive spirit won't let him admit it even to himself much less to a clown sticking a microphone in his face moments thereafter. Your point re his 'star' is well put and correct IMO but he did not have that perspective when he spoke.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Bob,

This year the DPs have the 3996cc (4.0l) engine the RSRs had last year, but in unrestricted form. If you read the Grand Am engine rules, the Porsche Flat 6 is basically unrestricted in components, but new for this year is a 9200rpm redline whereas last years 3.8l engine had no rev limit. In addition, effective 2/1/09 the 3.8l engine is no longer an eligible engine. The V8 engines are all limited in compression ratio, duration and lift on the camshaft, number of throttle bodies, crankshaft weight, connecting rod + piston weight.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

He is fast in every car he gets in. He's regularly recruited by other teams to work with younger drivers. He's won at pretty much every level he's been at with NASCAR Sprint Cup level being the only one I can think of that he hasn't (although he's had a few podiums). He's won multiple season titles in multiple cars with multiple organizations.

The guy can drive.
No doubt he is very good, but I would rank Alex Gurney above him ANY day. He is faster, cleaner, and most of all not full of himself. I'm sick of the endless bantering by the commentators about how good Pruett is, and how he does nothing wrong. Pruett is dirty, except he blames everyone else, and due to his age, experience and GAs love of Ganassi, gets off scott free. Last year, Rojas and Pruett were destroying Gurney and Fogarty, and IMO that had everything to do with motor. IE the Daytona sprint race, where ironically enough Pruett was able to just blow by on the last lap, exactly like Donahue was able to (just for Pruett it was a bit easier).
Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Like Bob R. Asked what are the differences in the Porsche motor this year.
Did Grand Am LIFT restrictions on Porsche or put MORE restrictions on Lexus.

After winning THREE 24's in a row (and I am a fan of Montoya's) I thought he came across
as a Cry baby and David Hobbs said the same thing in closing the show.
He came across as being greedy after winning 3 in a row and the next guy said Porsche
should be "investigated"??!! That was crap.(the next Target teammate)
Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 PM
MTosi
User

Another quick thing, did anyone notice the 59 wasn't nearly as fast at the end of the straight as the 58? That would lead one to believe it also had something to do with setup....
Old 01-25-2009, 11:35 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Oh, brother.

Please research how often great winners like Redman and Gurney and Andretti (Mario) and Fangio and others whined, and get back to us.

It's one thing to have a hard time accepting it--I agree with you there.

It's another thing entirely to have so little self control to feel compelled to blabber about it to anyone who will listen.

You got to be forking kidding ............................

Gurney - no
Redman - no
Andretti - yes , like a Prima ballerina ( all 3 )
Foyt - Yes like a Texas Prima ballerina
Pruit - Yes
Billy - Yes, Yes , Yessssss
Bergmiester - yes
Long - Yes

These are also different times , Narcissism rules at the top level , ask MS.................

Originally Posted by daigo
Here is my observation:
Most drivers these days appear to be reading from a script. They say all the right things and thank all the right people. Problem is they all sound the same. Little character. I personally know one of the top young DP drivers (I won't name him out of respect) and watched him move up the ranks from Karting. Copious sums of money went to PR coaches to ensure his camera presence was just so. Boring. References were made to some of the old drivers such as Andretti and Gurney. They probably were true gentlemen. This is who they were. Senna was always complaining. Talk to those who know Pruett, Angelleli and others off camera, talk about complaining. JPM is a fierce competitor and wants to win, and he throws his "observations" out for the world to see. I'd rather hear that than a mono tone rehearsed sound bite.
Thats just what I would like to see.
+ 10
I did not view it as a put down to Donahue , more to suggest how hard he was trying and how fast the Porsche's where ...
It's understandable and no different when Walter Rohrl complained about being beaten by a " woman " talking about the advantage Audi had being 4 wheel drive .

I guess Listers would have Walter as a Whiner ...........................

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

The guy can drive.
+ 10

Pruit was always a good Driver .... much more so than David ......

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Bob,

This year the DPs have the 3996cc (4.0l) engine the RSRs had last year, but in unrestricted form. If you read the Grand Am engine rules, the Porsche Flat 6 is basically unrestricted in components, but new for this year is a 9200rpm redline whereas last years 3.8l engine had no rev limit. In addition, effective 2/1/09 the 3.8l engine is no longer an eligible engine. The V8 engines are all limited in compression ratio, duration and lift on the camshaft, number of throttle bodies, crankshaft weight, connecting rod + piston weight.
Had the experience of witnessing one at full bore back in December , WOW!
louder than the V8's ....
Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Geoffry I missed your post thanks for answering.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
You got to be forking kidding ............................

Gurney - no
Redman - no
Andretti - yes , like a Prima ballerina ( all 3 )
Foyt - Yes like a Texas Prima ballerina
Pruit - Yes
Billy - Yes, Yes , Yessssss
Bergmiester - yes
Long - Yes

These are also different times , Narcissism rules at the top level , ask MS.................

Your recollection differs greatly from mine regarding Mario Andretti, then.

I did not mention the others, nor do I care about them....unless you also add Fernanda Alonsette to that list.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:48 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTosi
No doubt he is very good, but I would rank Alex Gurney above him ANY day. He is faster, cleaner, and most of all not full of himself. I'm sick of the endless bantering by the commentators about how good Pruett is, and how he does nothing wrong. Pruett is dirty, except he blames everyone else, and due to his age, experience and GAs love of Ganassi, gets off scott free. Last year, Rojas and Pruett were destroying Gurney and Fogarty, and IMO that had everything to do with motor. IE the Daytona sprint race, where ironically enough Pruett was able to just blow by on the last lap, exactly like Donahue was able to (just for Pruett it was a bit easier).
You would be wrong , as usual

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Like Bob R. Asked what are the differences in the Porsche motor this year.
Did Grand Am LIFT restrictions on Porsche or put MORE restrictions on Lexus.

After winning THREE 24's in a row (and I am a fan of Montoya's) I thought he came across
as a Cry baby and David Hobbs said the same thing in closing the show.
He came across as being greedy after winning 3 in a row and the next guy said Porsche
should be "investigated"??!! That was crap.(the next Target teammate)

It was 2 in a row , this would have been his 3rd..................................

it was not a big deal , What would you have liked Montoya to say ?

Hey great race , drove my ***** off, beaten by a guy who couldn't even make it to F3 , never even won anything before, damn i even had the wing down , he still pulled me on the straights , must have had NOS

Yes it could have been worse Enjoy the moment , it was fantastic and great.... Montoya's comment was nothing ...
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Your recollection differs greatly from mine regarding Mario Andretti, then.

I did not mention the others, nor do I care about them....unless you also add Fernanda Alonsette to that list.
GO back, you memory might be failing , the height of Mario's whining peaked in 93/94 with mansell as his teammate...
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I would have liked him to say what the next guy after him said when he caught him self whining.
"this is great for Brumous and Porsche and historically a good win for both of them"

I like JPM and was just disappointed thats all. Like I said David Hobbs said the same thing.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
GO back, you memory might be failing , the height of Mario's whining peaked in 93 with mansell as his teammate...
The height of Mario's WINNING peaked much earlier....and he did not whine a bit.

About adding your bromance-boytoy Fernanda Alonsette to the all-time whiners' list.....

Quick Reply: juan pablo montoya = biggest cry baby