Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

And here is what Rennlist causes....
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Larry makes a good point. This past weekend, we had an unusually large number of 997TT's, 997GT3's, and GT2's in our White (most advanced student) group. these folks--nice guys all--were F1 World Champions on the straightaways, but were surprisingly slow in the corners, especialy the fast sweepers for which TWS is known & loved. I was out with them--it was remarkabls. These cars all had a variety of go-faster and handle-better modifications....but the DROVERS were a bit short of resources. Unsurprisingly, they also chose not to show up for any of our White classroom sessions.....which ALWAYS focus on the DROVER.
Yeah fine, blah, blah, blah... but who is that in your avatar VR?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yeah fine, blah, blah, blah... but who is that in your avatar VR?
None of your beeswax, pervert.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:43 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

a significant number of DE drivers ask how to make their car faster, while it seems like it is the racers who more often ask how to make their driving faster.
That's getting more to the point. We wonder why DE guys spend so much money and time tweaking the last 10's out of their cars when there is absolutely nothing at stake. It's supposed to be about improving the driver, not the car.
Club Racers have good reason to go for that last iota; it's the extravagant trophies!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
We wonder why DE guys spend so much money and time tweaking the last 10th's out of their cars when they are leaving 3+ whole seconds on the table due to their driving.
corrected
Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

corrected
Case in point, VR; epitomizing the very point of this thread.
No matter, you have carte blanche from now on, your avatar is making us all nuts.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
Case in point, VR; epitomizing the very point of this thread.
No matter, you have carte blanche from now on, your avatar is making us all nuts.
I have never, EVER put down DE's or DE'ers. Hell, I am one. But my point remains valid. Stating FACTS is not a put down.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:13 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stating FACTS is not a put down.
Agreed....Sometimes it's HOW the FACTS are stated......

I'm just sayin'...not that there's any thin skin in here.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, when a DE drovers ask about tires, they are guaranteed a free lecture on droving? Pertfect!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
So, when a DE drovers ask about tires, they are guaranteed a free lecture on droving? Pertfect!
No, I don't think that was what Larry or I meant. Rather, when they start talking about their times & whether bigger injectors or supercharging or bigger brakes or or or or.... will make them do faster laptimes, when their driving would make a bigger difference with some focused instruction. IOW, focusing on gear to go faster when they are only hitting 1/3 of their apexes.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:04 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i have nothing to add to this thread, i just saw Veloce added something so i wanted to check out his avatar again, please proceed, thank you!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry makes a good point. This past weekend, we had an unusually large number of 997TT's, 997GT3's, and GT2's in our White (most advanced student) group. these folks--nice guys all--were F1 World Champions on the straightaways, but were surprisingly slow in the corners, especialy the fast sweepers for which TWS is known & loved. I was out with them--it was remarkabls. These cars all had a variety of go-faster and handle-better modifications....but the DROVERS were a bit short of resources. Unsurprisingly, they also chose not to show up for any of our White classroom sessions.....which ALWAYS focus on the DROVER.

As a former track chair there is a way of handling the no shows to the meeting. If they don't show they set out a session of two. You be surprised how many make it to the meetings.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I don't think that was what Larry or I meant. Rather, when they start talking about their times & whether bigger injectors or supercharging or bigger brakes or or or or.... will make them do faster laptimes, when their driving would make a bigger difference with some focused instruction. IOW, focusing on gear to go faster when they are only hitting 1/3 of their apexes.
Oh, I fully understand and agree. My point went to Arnie's original question around people asking a question about tires/car and getting everything but an answer about tires/car.

The groups where I instruct continually drive home the point of improving the driver with seat time, quality instruction, etc. The students hear it at every morning meeting, from their instructors, in classroom sessions and around the paddock. I doubt the first time they hear it is in a RennLecture. And in many cases the "improve the driver" advice is given before there is any knowledge of what the OP is doing in that area. Like just maybe they are working on continuous improvement of the drover AND asking a tire/car question.

Maybe when a drover asks about improving his driving we can give tire/car answers!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
As a former track chair there is a way of handling the no shows to the meeting. If they don't show they set out a session of two. You be surprised how many make it to the meetings.
For our regions, classroom is optional for the 2 top student run groups.

Bull, good point.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Racers have cars built to a class spec, and the good ones have selected the best hardware available. Most of their decisions are made, and relatively inflexible. So racers have a lot less concern about the car, and a proper focus on their skills. DE guys are often an extension of the "tuner" industry and they get excited about more HP, bigger tires, bigger brakes, etc. Neither is right or wrong, good or bad, but the difference is logical.

Some DE guys (myself included) chose to drop out of the HP race and drive low tech, low HP momentum cars that force you to face your deficiencies. Humbling, it is. But then, nothing is more humbling than having a 21 year old, 150 HP track beater all over the tail of your Boxster!

PS: This is similar to the sailboater / powerboater debate.

Quick Reply: Why Do Some Racers Find It Important to Put Down DE