Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I should define my own corner types and sell some books:

Jupe Type I turn: one where you can go as fast as you can because there is nothing to hit

Jupe Type II turn: ooh, be careful, run off is minimal

Jupe Type III turn: walls of death surround the course, you might want to back off a hair.

At the Glen, I think turn 1 and 8 are both Jupe Type II turns. Pre-orders of my driving book will be available soon...

See post #2 for the answer to this thread.
Actually, there was no question.

Type IV turn: WTF have I done now, hang on to you hat, *** and spats!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Unlike the Ninety, the Heel is less than 90 degrees and that makes all the difference.
The Heel is significantly MORE than 90 degrees.

Originally Posted by gums
Actually, not quite the same. The Ninety is significantly downhill, T8 is very flat.
I suggest taking a stroll around T8 sometime. It's actually VERY downhill...not at much as T1, but it sure as hell is "downhill".
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where the driving is concerned;

I also feel the turn-in lacked conviction. This set up a "Drift In" situation where precious time and distance is wasted waiting for the car to really grab, tuck, and rotate. Many turns at many tracks are "Flick" turns for me with my car, as JimmieLew mentions. T8 at WGI definitely being one of them.

Carrying more speed in is NOT the first part of conviction. It is forcing yourself to wait for the proper turn in point. If you are looking to go deep for whatever reason, you need to have this firmly in mind. The extra entry speed will cause you to over-anticpate the turn in until you get used to it. The result of this over-anticpation is usually a "drift in."

The next part of it for me is the realization that something is not quite right, and fixing it EARLY. There appeared to be no such realization here. I'm not sure quite how you teach it other than by experiencing it and developing the sensory memory to FEEL it in your gut next time. Fixing it after the fact could be done many ways. If grip (speed) allowed, simply more steering input. A slight throttle modulation - or even a MOMENTARY lift - to tighten the line. A dab of LFB to tuck the nose. All of these would work under the right conditions. It's nice to have a full bag of tricks.

Once it was obvious that things were not going to work out as planned (which came way too late), you did everything right. Eliminate side load (straighten the wheel), modulate throttle, and do NOTHING DRASTIC until control was gained under the "new grip conditions" (meaning in the grass where there is hardly any).

Regarding the entry; still needs work. Regarding the exit; lesson learned, no charge, well done. The twirling skid marks of the guys who get the save wrong can be seen opposite the exit curb, leading to the Armco on Driver's Right!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:47 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
I suggest taking a stroll around T8 sometime. It's actually VERY downhill...not at much as T1, but it sure as hell is "downhill".
It is?

Old 10-23-2008, 03:20 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
The Heel is significantly MORE than 90 degrees.
Unless I'm looking at the wrong turn, or have completely forgotten my high school geometry, T8 sure looks like less of an angle than T1.....

http://www.theglen.com/seating_charts_maps/track/

Click on "Track Data".
Old 10-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

It is?
Hell yeah. Go walk it sometime. A bowling ball, left to its own desires at the beginning of the braking zone, would break your ankle if it whacked you standing at the apex.

Originally Posted by gbuff
Unless I'm looking at the wrong turn, or have completely forgotten my high school geometry, T8 sure looks like less of an angle than T1.....

http://www.theglen.com/seating_charts_maps/track/

Click on "Track Data".
I don't know about your high school geometry class, but your might have skipped some of your "corner numbering" classes. T8 on that track map is "Radius 16& 17". T8 is significantly more than 90 degrees.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:41 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Professor, in all due candor, I think you've been testing too many helmets.
On the elevation map I posted, the elevation from the toe of the boot increases to a high point at the apex of T8, 1080', constituting a (slightly) uphill braking zone. The highest elevation at the start/finish straight is the S/F line, 1090' followed by a downhill braking zone to the apex of the 90 at 1020' and then continuing downhill beyond.
As for the radius map, you correctly identify the location of T8, but the angle of that corner is without question; acute, or less than 90. The ninety, or turn 1, I suspect is named for its right angle nature.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:55 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Maybe this is why Nascar skips this part.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the radius map, you correctly identify the location of T8, but the angle of that corner is without question; acute, or less than 90. The ninety, or turn 1, I suspect is named for its right angle nature.
We don't measure turns by the angle of the track, but by how many degrees around a circle (or radius) they take us. If we measured by angle of the track, a 180 degree turn would be a straightaway...
Old 10-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 983 Likes on 590 Posts

Professor, in all due candor, I think you've been testing too many helmets.
On the elevation map I posted, the elevation from the toe of the boot increases to a high point at the apex of T8, 1080', constituting a (slightly) uphill braking zone. The highest elevation at the start/finish straight is the S/F line, 1090' followed by a downhill braking zone to the apex of the 90 at 1020' and then continuing downhill beyond.
If I understand everyone's comments correct, the Professor is correct that the Heal is downhil on braking and downhill into the apex and to somewhere just after track exit (not where lawnmower man went agro). It then starts uphill to the off camber (which is not off camber).
Old 10-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

On the elevation map I posted, the elevation from the toe of the boot increases to a high point at the apex of T8, 1080', constituting a (slightly) uphill braking zone.
The apex of that turn is definitely not a high point. The map doesn't indicate WHAT the high point of the straight leading up to T8 is, but it is definitely higher than the apex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjyD49bTq3c
Old 10-23-2008, 05:20 PM
JClark
Instructor

The map is misleading. T8 starts pointing downhill in the braking zone and hits its lowest point halfway between 8 and 9. It's pretty apparent while walking the track. I only remember the incline because I got to take a bmx bike on a track walk and did the boot counter-clockwise.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Who ****ing cares whether it is uphill, downhill, or flat?

The point is, Paolo did not turn in properly. Case closed.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:21 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Who ****ing cares whether it is uphill, downhill, or flat?

The point is, Paolo did not turn in properly. Case closed.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:21 PM
cooz
Pro

i'm late to this discussion, however it does look to me that he turned in too early and then did not adjust.

sounds like he was following the concept he mentioned which was to turn in early if he wants to race..............well, there's early and there's too early.

Quick Reply: I am changing profession.......