Sponsored by:

I am changing profession.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
2) In *most* cases, the patches are the correct line and you should be parellel to the patches.
I can't think of a single turn at any track where I'm not inside of the concrete with at least 2 wheels.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Paolo,

When I rode with you at our event the comments I had for you were also followed with a caution if you remember. What I said was that you were driving a more traditional driver's ed line which is always a safer, slower, later apex line than the fastest way around the track. I went on to further say that to be competitive in your class, you would need to 1) Be more smooth, 2) Brake later and trail brake more, and 3) turn in early and use the trailbraking to rotate the 911. I also said that all of those things can land you in a lot of trouble in a hurry. I went on to further say that any correction you make needs to be done before the apex. I can see that you didn't really understand what I was saying because you spun spectacularly according to the corner workers, went four wheels off in another corner, and according to other corner workers were locking up the brakes to the extent that they were concerned. This was all in one session and you are lucky I didn't end your session.

I tried to give you a chance and not let my opinions of you based on your Rennlist posts influence my decisions, however, your reputation is well earned. I think you need to learn that driving is more about judgement than anything, and you have a long way to go.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
Did you receive your John Deere sticker?
NO........but I am probably worthy of one......
Old 10-22-2008, 10:15 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Paolo,

When I rode with you at our event the comments I had for you were also followed with a caution if you remember. What I said was that you were driving a more traditional driver's ed line which is always a safer, slower, later apex line than the fastest way around the track. I went on to further say that to be competitive in your class, you would need to 1) Be more smooth, 2) Brake later and trail brake more, and 3) turn in early and use the trailbraking to rotate the 911. I also said that all of those things can land you in a lot of trouble in a hurry. I went on to further say that any correction you make needs to be done before the apex. I can see that you didn't really understand what I was saying because you spun spectacularly according to the corner workers, went four wheels off, and according to other corner workers were locking up the brakes to the extent that they were concerned. This was all in one session and you are lucky I didn't end your session.

I tried to give you a chance and not let my opinions of you based on your Rennlist posts influence my decisions, however, your reputation is well earned. I think you need to learn that driving is more about judgement than anything, and you have a long way to go.
You are correct on everything..... except I never spun......believe it or not....

Geoffrey I appreciate you riding with me and about all your advice, but why so much resentment?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
VR.........You might actually be right......
LOL...

Imagine that.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There is not resentment towards you. This is serious stuff, and I think you need to take it more seriously. I would gladly ride with you again and give you suggestions and perhaps I was at fault for giving you too much information at once. I need to think on that one.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I can't think of a single turn at any track where I'm not inside of the concrete with at least 2 wheels.
+1. If the terrain allows it, same here. To wit:

http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...ewImage=536583

http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...ewImage=536553
Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
There is not resentment towards you. This is serious stuff, and I think you need to take it more seriously. I would gladly ride with you again and give you suggestions and perhaps I was at fault for giving you too much information at once. I need to think on that one.
Geoffrey, I hope we find an opportunity to run together again........
I might be an old dog....but eventually will learn the new tricks......
Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Way to drive through it. My First agriculture experience resulted in an overcorrection and spinning back across the track at 80mph.

Do that maneuver at Barber Motorsports park and they'll charge you $65 for the grass.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I am going to become an "landscape expert"........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWQFjJ2Fg9w

Just trying to follow my buddy Gary R........until my "excursion".........
I must have been a bit early, although it didn't feel like it......

Anyway......I hope everyone is surviving this market well......
My favorite part was ME getting a talking to because you told Geoffrey it was all my fault!

The good news is once I followed you and we talked you did MUCH better. It's always more important to place your car correctly than it is to try and push it there. More speed just goes along with it automatically..
Old 10-23-2008, 01:16 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have any kind of data check it for throttle position, I'd be willing to bet you were 50-60 % throttle, next time go 95-100% and the rear will rotate just enough to rotate the car and you will be fine.
It's a mental thing which is why data is so important, you have to retrain the mind.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

IMHO I think he turned in too slowly and should have realized that he had no where to go and should have adjusted the throttle.
that is funny about the grass for $65 at barber...they should pay you for cutting it.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:58 AM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while reading this post I first thought that he did not turn in early at all. I would have turned in that early or even earlier than that. I do believe the fast line is an early turn in, BUT that fast line requires a trailbrake and throttle skill not displayed in this video. Paolo you have progressed quickly, but stll need to learn what the car is telling you. you either didnt have the commitmanent to stay in hard or didnt feel the the fact you were not going to make the exit
Old 10-23-2008, 09:02 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
My favorite part was ME getting a talking to because you told Geoffrey it was all my fault!

The good news is once I followed you and we talked you did MUCH better. It's always more important to place your car correctly than it is to try and push it there. More speed just goes along with it automatically..
Gary, of course it was your fault.......for being a much better and faster driver than I.........LOL

As you said, the rest of the day went on uneventfully after our recap and discussion of that first session.......

As everyone can see, I still have a long way to go, but I am not embarassed to show my mistakes and try to get advice on how to avoid them and learn from them.....
Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Geoffrey;5927312]Paolo,

When I rode with you at our event the comments I had for you were also followed with a caution if you remember. What I said was that you were driving a more traditional driver's ed line which is always a safer, slower, later apex line than the fastest way around the track. I went on to further say that to be competitive in your class, you would need to 1) Be more smooth, 2) Brake later and trail brake more, and 3) turn in early and use the trailbraking to rotate the 911. I also said that all of those things can land you in a lot of trouble in a hurry. I went on to further say that any correction you make needs to be done before the apex.

Geoffrey, This was stated much better than I explained to him, but at the Glen in August, I told him basically the same thing as he was having to make adjustments after the apex (track out).

Quick Reply: I am changing profession.......