Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 SIngapore GP , News ,Updates, Results..

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 04:39 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Team to Massa after the race.
Felipe, didn't you get the memo. We changed the pit lighting system last night.
Red is stop. Green is get ready to go. Not go.
Wait for the purple light to come on before you can safely leave the pits.

Heard one of the TV commentators say that the Fueler triggers the Green light on the Ferrari system.
Is that correct. Isn't the fueler's job to safely remove the nozzle for the race car?
Not look around to see if the pit travel lane is free so the Ferrari can be released to a clear lane.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally, I think blinking colored lights belong on a christmas tree, not in the pits of F1.

what's wrong with a plain old lollipop again? (noticed Ferrari switched to that for the remaining stops)
Old 09-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
...Heard one of the TV commentators say that the Fueler triggers the Green light on the Ferrari system.
Is that correct. Isn't the fueler's job to safely remove the nozzle for the race car?
Not look around to see if the pit travel lane is free so the Ferrari can be released to a clear lane.
It's not triggered by the fuel guy,
Besides, in this case, the fuel guy wasn't even trying to take out the hose when the light turned green.

Originally Posted by dmoffitt
personally, I think blinking colored lights belong on a christmas tree, not in the pits of F1.

what's wrong with a plain old lollipop again? (noticed Ferrari switched to that for the remaining stops)
+1

This is the same as Williams' hydraulic jacks, technology for no real benefit and just an added element that can fail.
(although Williams' jacks have never failed and Ferrari's problem is still the human screwing up)
Old 09-29-2008, 05:50 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their Magnetti Marelli lollypops were failing?

Good to hear the fueler isn't the trigger guy.
So who was the brain dead Ferrari pitman manning the Christmas Tree lights.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:59 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Their Magnetti Marelli lollypops were failing?

Who was the brain dead Ferrari pitman manning the Christmas Tree lights.

it's Singapore the guy was distracted ................................
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

... am I the only one who doesn't find that a terribly attractive back-end? maybe its the ATOMIC WEGGIE or the cellulite-wrinkles or the muffin-top or ...
Old 09-29-2008, 06:18 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

... am I the only one who doesn't find that a terribly attractive back-end? maybe its the ATOMIC WEGGIE or the cellulite-wrinkles or the muffin-top or ...
Old 09-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by amjf088

I was VERY impressed with Rosberg. He maximized every segment of the race and it all came good. When he had to pit during the SC and incur the penalty, I thought it was over for him. But he buckled down and took full advantage of his ability to run in clean air to make a useful cushion. Great example of a driver “making” his luck. . .Maybe it was not unintentional bias, but it does illustrate the inconsistency that we often see in application of the rules.
You gave the very best example of that inconsistency with your observation of Rosberg.

Why did it take so long for race control to issue the penalty to Rosberg? Not only that but with the 3 lap rule he was able to make the penalty really no penalty at all. Though it was good to see him make the best of the situation I believe race control "made his luck" for him!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris L.
You gave the very best example of that inconsistency with your observation of Rosberg.

Why did it take so long for race control to issue the penalty to Rosberg? Not only that but with the 3 lap rule he was able to make the penalty really no penalty at all. Though it was good to see him make the best of the situation I believe race control "made his luck" for him!
As they did for Massa at Spa............................................................
Old 09-29-2008, 06:44 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.

Actually, I don’t think it was inconsistent, at least in the way the regulations are written. The stewards reviewed the reports and issued the penalties for Rosberg and Kubica at the same time, shortly after the SC period ended. Rosberg came in within the allowable interval, as specified in the rules. I don’t really see how it should have gone differently. Yes, Rosberg was very fortunate to be able to use clear air, but that was not a result of inconsistent rule application, but rather good luck at how it all fell out. Essentially the rules allow that element of variability. Inconsistent would have been if Rosberg was given any sort of a different penalty than the rules call for in that situation, or if the rules had been administered differently than normal, which I believe was not the case.

I would agree if your point was that the current rules surrounding these penalties do not take into account precise circumstances that the subject driver is encountering and thus, the actual severity of the penalty will vary. For that reason, grid penalties for the next race may be a more “standardized” way of enforcing a penalty, however what do you do if it is the last race of the season!!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:03 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heard one of the TV commentators say that the Fueler triggers the Green light on the Ferrari system.
I think what they were saying was that there was a switch in the fueling rig that was suppose to keep the lollipop from going green until the rig was disconnected. Maybe they were just saying that there should be one?

Great weekend for FA. I hope he stays at Renault and turns the team around again.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Nano
Racer

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
By Jonathan Noble Monday, September 29th 2008, 13:20 GMT

Ferrari believe their world championship ambitions are still alive, despite a disastrous Singapore Grand Prix leaving them trailing Lewis Hamilton...
Yeah, ambitions my ***... disastrous singapore gp??? how about a freaking disastrous season! From australia to singapore it's been pitiful to watch on all fronts. Between freak technical failures(Ferrari had been reliable for a long time...), drivers mistakes, strategic mistakes and pretty much every blunder you can make in F1 they still "believe their WC ambitions are still alive" ... Just sad.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:24 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nano
disastrous singapore gp??? how about a freaking disastrous season! From australia to singapore it's been pitiful to watch on all fronts. Between freak technical failures(ferrari was once reliable...), drivers mistakes strategic mistakes and pretty much every blunder you can make in F1... How to throw away a WDC and WCC.
Hey Now ! Hamilton will be a great WDC..... Why ? such a humble chap!
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Nano
Racer

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Hey Now ! Hamilton will be a great WDC..... Why ? such a humble chap!
Yeah, and Kubica has a 7 points lead on another humble WDC chap.

wtf!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by amjf088
I would agree if your point was that the current rules surrounding these penalties do not take into account precise circumstances that the subject driver is encountering and thus, the actual severity of the penalty will vary. For that reason, grid penalties for the next race may be a more “standardized” way of enforcing a penalty, however what do you do if it is the last race of the season!!
That was part of it but I must admit that I just don't understand the situation sometimes. I see Rosburg and Kubica come in for fuel while the SC is out and pit lane closed. I would imagine race control sees the exact same thing at the exact same time and perhaps even before we do with the TV feed. It is an obvious rule infraction and as such should be easy for them to almost immediately call him back in for the 10 second penalty. I understand he must serve this under green but given the time they were under the SC it would seem they would notifiy the team of the penalty and give them only 3 laps from the drop of the green to serve it. It was several laps under green before any mention of the penalty and by that time the lead he had built negated the penalty itself. That's all. I'm not a Rosberg hater - I just hate to see things done unfairly.

Quick Reply: 2008 SIngapore GP , News ,Updates, Results..