Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightening PCA CR......any news?......

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As an SP3 racer the 951's in our class "vary" quite a bit. The S2’s and S models in super cup (AKA SP3) have little reasonable modifications that could be made IMO. I feel pretty comfortable running with the letter classes in PCA. As far as what PCA recognizes has varied from track to track, region to region. In Sebring this year we had to tell them what the class weight was, but at Lime rock, CVR was well aware of the rules and class spec.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of results of the race are posted somewhere?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:53 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by teamNortheast
Therefore Frank because the Paddock guys are by the book on the cars it is possible for another lone SP3 to "rip you a new one" so to speak.

Steve
That's an accurate observation, Steve. At last year's WGI club race the 951 SP3 winning car was very obviously illegal. I think the car was either 1st or 2nd overall and blew away Karl Poetl's "F" 944S2. '07 was the first year for the class and I believe none of the scruts were too familiar with the SP class rules and there wasn't a dyno at the race anyway. That same car showed up at Sebring in February and Ken did lodge a protest concerning the car. The answer he got was the driver (don't remember his name) was a former IMSA racer and the car [I]was[I] legal. Again, there wasn't a dyno, so who knows?

Richard
Old 09-17-2008, 08:56 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joel-cs
Does anyone know of results of the race are posted somewhere?
Not yet Joel.

BTW, I love your Cayman and you drive it very well too.

Richard
Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Richard!
Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel
That's an accurate observation, Steve. At last year's WGI club race the 951 SP3 winning car was very obviously illegal. I think the car was either 1st or 2nd overall and blew away Karl Poetl's "F" 944S2. '07 was the first year for the class and I believe none of the scruts were too familiar with the SP class rules and there wasn't a dyno at the race anyway. That same car showed up at Sebring in February and Ken did lodge a protest concerning the car. The answer he got was the driver (don't remember his name) was a former IMSA racer and the car [I]was[I] legal. Again, there wasn't a dyno, so who knows?
Funny. The same car showed up at Mid-Ohio and it was hanging with GT3's down the back straight. Are you suggesting it shouldn't be able to do that?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Here's my best lap, a 1:11.251 (and new GTC1 record ):

Jupe's Lightning Fast Lap
Very nice work, Charlie, as expected. Your car seems better geared for this circuit and much more cooperative than the 911 I drove in the enduro. Interesting low line entering lightbulb, too.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

double race winner FredC tests the grip offline in T5 during the first DE session on track...way offline

http://www.vimeo.com/1762696
Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
Funny. The same car showed up at Mid-Ohio and it was hanging with GT3's down the back straight. Are you suggesting it shouldn't be able to do that?

Bri,

I dunno. At this year's LRP club race, a legal (as far as I know) SP3 car did a 1:00 lap. So in the hands of a gifted driver perhaps the cars can hang with GT3's? All I know is there were some pretty good drivers at both the WGI and Sebring races, and that car just flew bye them.

Richard
Old 09-18-2008, 11:10 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Jupe, as to your comment about never going thru lightbulb two wide, I have to say that I made two if not three outside passes up there, but: they were in early practice sessions when the track was probably still clean, and perhaps my victims didn't yet know the circuit so well.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Jupe, as to your comment about never going thru lightbulb two wide, I have to say that I made two if not three outside passes up there, but: they were in early practice sessions when the track was probably still clean, and perhaps my victims didn't yet know the circuit so well.
I made most of my passes there. The majority were low, but some were middle as that was my (taught to me by Fred C.!) fastest line and taking away the exit worked as well as taking away the inside. I really enjoyed that section of track...
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Gary, I think Jupe was talking about going the long way around the outside and clagging up his tires.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I was talking about the outside at the end of the turn. It was covered with marbles and it was all I could do to stay on track when I hit out there attempting an outside pass in the enduro. Earlier in the enduro a GT3 Cup was trying to pass me on the outside and spun multiple times when he hit that section.

As for the best line through there... Sometimes shorter is faster...
Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel
Bri,

I dunno. At this year's LRP club race, a legal (as far as I know) SP3 car did a 1:00 lap. So in the hands of a gifted driver perhaps the cars can hang with GT3's? All I know is there were some pretty good drivers at both the WGI and Sebring races, and that car just flew bye them.

Richard
Right. I agree that on a twisty part of the track (which Lime Rock is chock full of) an SP3 car should be able to do comparable lap times. However, on a straight part of the track after a tight corner? I'd think that's mainly a test of how much HP a car has. Maybe I don't know the SP3 rules well enough, but I was surprised to see it holding with GT3's on that part of the track.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:11 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

mylaps has the results

I finished 3rd in the White Enduro. Not bad for the 260hp 964 with the big GT3 Cups and GT cars. Kind of like the tortoise in the Tortoise and the Hare. Sure and steady wins, or in this case, gets on the overall podium. (It also helps that 1/2 the field DNF'd!!)

Last edited by DrJupeman; 09-19-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Lightening PCA CR......any news?......