Sponsored by:

Lightening PCA CR......any news?......

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:12 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by teamNortheast
Fred I think you are pretty close to right on the money in the 34-36 range because of your cars weight but 38 might be a hot set-up to.

I speak with Rick Bye a lot (used to run Canadian Turbo Cup series and works for Porsche) and he thinks every tire should be run at 40 lbs.

Mark your 993 has to weigh 3000 + and I think your pressures are a tad low due to the weight but again I am a 944 guy and my engine doesn't hang out back.
Steve, you know Rick Bye? This guy is a legend! He and Richard Spenard were duking it out in Rothmans!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Fred I think you are pretty close to right on the money in the 34-36 range because of your cars weight but 38 might be a hot set-up to.

I speak with Rick Bye a lot (used to run Canadian Turbo Cup series and works for Porsche) and he thinks every tire should be run at 40 lbs.

Mark your 993 has to weigh 3000 + and I think your pressures are a tad low due to the weight but again I am a 944 guy and my engine doesn't hang out back.

Thanks. I tried lower tire pressures for the second sprint and enduro after a suggestion by another racer. I ended up turning my best lap time of the weekend in the enduro.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:20 PM
teamNortheast
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I met Rick few years ago at Mosport through some other friends. He has given me a few driving tips and even gave me his line at Mosport.

I almost died! That was scariest line I have ever seen. Those guys ran at the hairiest of hairy edges. We watched a few of Ricks videos at track dinner way back and it was amazing.

And I thought I was fearless.

He's a cool guy but I will be damned if I can drive his line.

Steve
#85 944 turbo (no Hankooks anymore)
Old 09-16-2008, 12:32 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Very cool! Few people know the 944 Turbos the way these guys do! See you at the track!

Yeah, I met Rick few years ago at Mosport through some other friends. He has given me a few driving tips and even gave me his line at Mosport.

I almost died! That was scariest line I have ever seen. Those guys ran at the hairiest of hairy edges. We watched a few of Ricks videos at track dinner way back and it was amazing.

And I thought I was fearless.

He's a cool guy but I will be damned if I can drive his line.

Steve
#85 944 turbo (no Hankooks anymore)
Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Charlie Boyer beat up on a few 996 cups
(Thanks, Mark!)

Brian, I agree with the thanks for the trophies, though I do wish 2 & 3rd could get some, too (or multiple time winners would get more than one trophy...). I think one aspect that is missing from the "should trophies be given out" discussion is the kids so I'm glad you brought it up. My kids like my trophy collection more than I do, I think. It really does add to the enjoyment of the whole thing. Often the family makes sacrifices to allow me (us) to go racing so it is nice when they get to participate in the occasional success. Often, that's through the trophies. I've sent my kids up on occasion to pick-up the trophy at awards ceremonies and they cherish the experience. The beaming on their face is worth the $$ for racing!!
Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,
I'm still decompressing from a hectic weekend, I haven't self-supported in a few years! I'm so glad to have this fantastic facility at our disposal, and it's only going to get better.
It was to my advantage that I raced here in the summer with EMRA, that was my plan. Right off the trailer I was ready, but disapointed to only have three cars in class.
Nevertheless, I did a 1:15.8 which I'm told is now the SP3 lap record.
Out for sprint 1 I spent the first few laps going backwards a bit, which tells me that I was either a slow starter or a good qualifier. I worked to get every one of those cars back by the end, except for Charlie, who I spent the entire race dicing with. I thought Brian was having a really nice go of it, but then we reeled him in not knowing that he was dealing with a bent wheel and slow leak. I was finding it hard to pass more powerful cars even if I was faster over the course of the lap, but I would gain on any 911 going around 2,3 and entering lightbulb. Charlie and I ganged up on Debusman when he fumbled going into T1 and we never saw him again. My car was making a rear end noise towards the end which I neglected to diagnose until Sprint 2.
We went out for Sprint 2 and I don't know about you guys but I nearly piled up at T1, I braked all I could not to rear end and was amazed that Brian didn't hit me from behind, but we got out of there. My car was making awful noises in left handers so when it went full course yellow I decided to park it even if I was leading my class again easily.
For the Enduro, I was driving Nazaroff's Orange Toga 911, it's been awhile since I drove one of these rear engine contraptions but I got down to his pace pretty quickly in qualifying. Much heavier and more physical to drive than my car, at least it's more powerful even though we were three seconds off my car's pace.
I took over at half way and was thrust right into traffic, when it settled down I went at it with Tony, not knowing it was his first race. I could see him overdriving into the left after the bridge, so I pressured him there and when he spun in front of me, I took to the grass and said good riddens. Except when I ran the laps down in 100 degree heat and my tires were done he reappeared in my mirrors. At this point I just wanted to bring my buddy's car home intact but I was impressed to see Tony come back. I could hold him off down the main straight knowing that each time I engaged fifth he'd drop back. So, on the last lap after we both saw the flagger readying the checker, and when we exited lightbulb he was next to me, I couldn't decide whether to wind out fourth and save the shift or go for the tie-breaker fifth. I went for fifth and in that instant he nosed ahead and pipped me at the line! Great stuff, but I was sent to the scales and then we were DQ'd for 10lbs underweight! Walt tried everything to get us through, repositioning the car at least 5 times, he did notice that my son was leaning on the car once, but it didn't matter to us so we took the DQ.
A great weekend for me, I love my new car, the comaraderie of all you guys was the best yet for me.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Guys,
I'm still decompressing from a hectic weekend, I haven't self-supported in a few years! I'm so glad to have this fantastic facility at our disposal, and it's only going to get better.
It was to my advantage that I raced here in the summer with EMRA, that was my plan. Right off the trailer I was ready, but disapointed to only have three cars in class.
Nevertheless, I did a 1:15.8 which I'm told is now the SP3 lap record.
Out for sprint 1 I spent the first few laps going backwards a bit, which tells me that I was either a slow starter or a good qualifier. I worked to get every one of those cars back by the end, except for Charlie, who I spent the entire race dicing with. I thought Brian was having a really nice go of it, but then we reeled him in not knowing that he was dealing with a bent wheel and slow leak. I was finding it hard to pass more powerful cars even if I was faster over the course of the lap, but I would gain on any 911 going around 2,3 and entering lightbulb. Charlie and I ganged up on Debusman when he fumbled going into T1 and we never saw him again. My car was making a rear end noise towards the end which I neglected to diagnose until Sprint 2.
We went out for Sprint 2 and I don't know about you guys but I nearly piled up at T1, I braked all I could not to rear end and was amazed that Brian didn't hit me from behind, but we got out of there. My car was making awful noises in left handers so when it went full course yellow I decided to park it even if I was leading my class again easily.
For the Enduro, I was driving Nazaroff's Orange Toga 911, it's been awhile since I drove one of these rear engine contraptions but I got down to his pace pretty quickly in qualifying. Much heavier and more physical to drive than my car, at least it's more powerful even though we were three seconds off my car's pace.
I took over at half way and was thrust right into traffic, when it settled down I went at it with Tony, not knowing it was his first race. I could see him overdriving into the left after the bridge, so I pressured him there and when he spun in front of me, I took to the grass and said good riddens. Except when I ran the laps down in 100 degree heat and my tires were done he reappeared in my mirrors. At this point I just wanted to bring my buddy's car home intact but I was impressed to see Tony come back. I could hold him off down the main straight knowing that each time I engaged fifth he'd drop back. So, on the last lap after we both saw the flagger readying the checker, and when we exited lightbulb he was next to me, I couldn't decide whether to wind out fourth and save the shift or go for the tie-breaker fifth. I went for fifth and in that instant he nosed ahead and pipped me at the line! Great stuff, but I was sent to the scales and then we were DQ'd for 10lbs underweight! Walt tried everything to get us through, repositioning the car at least 5 times, he did notice that my son was leaning on the car once, but it didn't matter to us so we took the DQ.
A great weekend for me, I love my new car, the comaraderie of all you guys was the best yet for me.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

why not run in E? The fields are always big in E.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:23 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Frank;

You win the prize for the longest post!

Are you racing at Summit Point? I'm trying to fit it into a busy travel schedule at work.

Joe
Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

I run where they tell me, I didn't know I was E-eligible, I think I'm too light.
Not likely on Summit, Paddock team wants to go to NASA at the Glen that weekend, bigger field for us.
I go where they tell me....Join us.
Sorry to post twice on that.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

gary and I will be at the NASA glen date as well
Old 09-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Frank you will need carpet for E, class weights are very close
Old 09-16-2008, 07:01 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

or ballast?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve,

For our cars, I think your pressures are correct for the Hoosiers. The SP3 guys aim for 37-38 psi hot. My 968 weighs about 250lbs more than the 944S2, so I shoot for 39-40 psi hot.

Mark,

Great seeing you again after what, 3-years?

Bull's correct. There were no flies at Lightening in mid-July and very few over at Thunderbolt last month. Last weekend, they were just nasty.

Richard

Last edited by richard glickel; 09-16-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
gary and I will be at the NASA glen date as well
Sean,

See you guys at the Senaca's bar friday (10/3) evening?

Richard

Quick Reply: Lightening PCA CR......any news?......