Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightening PCA CR......any news?......

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:00 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a clip of what was going on between me and Belluardo in the yellow sprint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlL50izfyWE
Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Question about exiting the lightbulb : Why do so many guys run over to the right like you are going to enter the pits? The white 911 in front of you actually crossed the pit line. Track out is on the LEFT on a right hand turn. I almost rear ended a car entering the pits when I was forced over there a few times. I know some people were blocking me (in vain, LOL!), but there is no need to go back to the right like that. See my video for a faster, safer line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRiyPDGGW9Y
Old 09-19-2008, 06:12 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Question about exiting the lightbulb : Why do so many guys run over to the right like you are going to enter the pits? The white 911 in front of you actually crossed the pit line. Track out is on the LEFT on a right hand turn. I almost rear ended a car entering the pits when I was forced over there a few times. I know some people were blocking me (in vain, LOL!), but there is no need to go back to the right like that. See my video for a faster, safer line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRiyPDGGW9Y
Without arguing the safety aspect, I think the answer it to apex the turn and drive a shorter distance.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

it definitely feels shorter, wonder if it's actually worth the steering input. the car feels like it wants to just keep drifting out at the exit of lightbulb.

anybody have any data?
Old 09-19-2008, 06:33 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think it's shorter or faster to cross the pit in line. Let the car track out (like he did) then drive the straightest line to the straightaway, which I think is near the middle of the track at pit in. I think you are scrubbing off speed to turn that hard after tracking out.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:58 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

I think the reason for steering right is due to the fact that the road surface rises as you exit lightbulb and you (or, at least, I do) lose the horizon and can't actually see the left edge of the track. I suppose, that's also where you'd steer to "defend" your position coming down the front straight?

You're probably correct that it's got to be faster to let the car track out (i.e., use all of the track).

Richard
Old 09-19-2008, 11:29 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Without arguing the safety aspect, I think the answer it to apex the turn and drive a shorter distance.
Mike, what Charlie said, just trying to cover the least amount of track. I didn't feel that the car was scrubbing off any speed.

It would be interesting if someone did have data.

Charlie
Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
I don't think it's shorter or faster to cross the pit in line. Let the car track out (like he did) then drive the straightest line to the straightaway, which I think is near the middle of the track at pit in. I think you are scrubbing off speed to turn that hard after tracking out.
For what it is worth, I am constantly evaluating the scrubbing vs. distance argument (did a lot of years of autocrossing) and I didn't think I was turning very hard to make the apex. Of course, most have called my line into and through the Lightbulb unorthodox, so I could be wrong. Data would help figure this out, but I have none.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

if you're turning the wheel you're scrubbing speed. the same question applies to lightbulb. Fred was significantly faster than me in lightbulb by staying in the middle all through the turn and never getting near the inside of the turn. In theory, if you shortened lightbulb by staying low like Charlie did in his video you'd get through the turn faster. Fred's data showed he was significantly faster staying high and never getting anywhere near the apex curb at the exit of lightbulb. I have to think that's from scrubbing speed through increased steering input getting to the apex curb.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:20 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
if you're turning the wheel you're scrubbing speed. the same question applies to lightbulb. Fred was significantly faster than me in lightbulb by staying in the middle all through the turn and never getting near the inside of the turn. In theory, if you shortened lightbulb by staying low like Charlie did in his video you'd get through the turn faster. Fred's data showed he was significantly faster staying high and never getting anywhere near the apex curb at the exit of lightbulb. I have to think that's from scrubbing speed through increased steering input getting to the apex curb.
This is why you might notice that I never went high (or even medium) to begin with. I was already in tight and never had to add increased steering input to get to the apex. Frankly, I was applying my lessons learned from Daytona to the Lightbulb, but will admit there is quite a bit of difference. Perhaps think Carousel (outer loop) at Watkins Glen vs. Lightbulb, another high speed highly cambered turn. How do you drive that?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I'm rethinking how I drive carousel now as well. The data that Fred has is pretty remarkable. I think I was loosing 1 second + to him from exit speed in that turn alone. I was taking a mid entry and coming down to the curb at exit. At the Glen I take a line similar to yours (the stuff it in line). Now, I'm thinking about trying a mid track entry and holding that line all the way through and never going to the curb. I saw some guys this year running that line and they seemed to gain on me/leave me there.

edit: I will be getting a data system over the winter....this flying blind is not good.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:30 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

I'm rethinking how I drive carousel now as well. The data that Fred has is pretty remarkable. I think I was loosing 1 second + to him from exit speed in that turn alone. I was taking a mid entry and coming down to the curb at exit. At the Glen I take a line similar to yours (the stuff it in line). Now, I'm thinking about trying a mid track entry and holding that line all the way through and never going to the curb. I saw some guys this year running that line and they seemed to gain on me/leave me there.

edit: I will be getting a data system over the winter....this flying blind is not good.
Agreed. Getting a data system is high on my list after I get a job.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Agreed. Getting a data system is high on my list after I get a job.
You've got your priorities mixed up Charlie
Old 09-20-2008, 09:49 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

You've got your priorities mixed up Charlie
Almost, but you have to give me some credit (at least racer "man" points) for being out there racing while the family is back home starving...
Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

yes...many racer man points. Especially when I heard how you did the Road American trip...unbelievable.

Quick Reply: Lightening PCA CR......any news?......