Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my best lap, a 1:11.251 (and new GTC1 record ):

Jupe's Lightning Fast Lap
Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

thanks for posting Charlie. Amazing to see how many different lines there are on this track. I like the way you took lightbulb all the way around on the inside.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:58 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
thanks for posting Charlie. Amazing to see how many different lines there are on this track. I like the way you took lightbulb all the way around on the inside.
I think it worked ok. I don't know if it was the fastest way, but I caught people on entry and rarely lost them on exit, so I figured it was good. I had a hell of a time getting the car "in" if I ever went "out", so I figured I should just start "in". It also made the track shorter, which helps us HP-challenged cars when running in the Red group. One thing I did learn about Lightbulb: never, ever, ever, ever, ever try to pass someone on the outside all the way through. There are a jillion marbles on the outside before track out and you will NOT be able to keep your speed through them and stay on the track. I didn't go off, but my next 4 laps were sacrificed trying to rid myself of the horrific pick-up and make up the ground I lost by practically parking it at track out to avoid the off/spin/crash.

I still struggle to figure out how to do turns 2-4 in my car.

I shared figuring there isn't a lot of video of Porsches at speed on Lightning and I hope others will share too. I want to learn from them to crack into the 1:10s next year.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great event. This was my 1st and I gotta a lotta learning to do. I was a bit timid after the 2+ hour rookie class and got schooled on both sprint starts. I did much better on the enduro start even though that start was less critical - it was good practice for me. Thanks Mike W. in in E, Steve B. in E (and Enduro winner), & Jenks for the help.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Talk to Fred C., he flys through there... most of the time on the asphalt!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tony356993
Great event. This was my 1st and I gotta a lotta learning to do. I was a bit timid after the 2+ hour rookie class and got schooled on both sprint starts. I did much better on the enduro start even though that start was less critical - it was good practice for me. Thanks Mike W. in in E, Steve B. in E (and Enduro winner), & Jenks for the help.
You did fine Tony, sorry if I was pushing you a bit in Sprint 2 but you were between me and another D car I needed to beat..
Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did fine Tony, sorry if I was pushing you a bit in Sprint 2 but you were between me and another D car I needed to beat..
No prob. I really tried not to hold anyone up. Being pushed and handling it smoothly is part of the learning curve. I'll get a little better each time.... I hope.

You D boys were not messing around!

Great fun.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:38 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Can't wait to see the photo's.......

Does anyone know if Raceday photo was there? I did not see the CR on their schedule.

Sounds like the dinner was a lot of fun, sorry I had a family obligation.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I think it worked ok. I don't know if it was the fastest way, but I caught people on entry and rarely lost them on exit, so I figured it was good. I had a hell of a time getting the car "in" if I ever went "out", so I figured I should just start "in". It also made the track shorter, which helps us HP-challenged cars when running in the Red group. One thing I did learn about Lightbulb: never, ever, ever, ever, ever try to pass someone on the outside all the way through. There are a jillion marbles on the outside before track out and you will NOT be able to keep your speed through them and stay on the track. I didn't go off, but my next 4 laps were sacrificed trying to rid myself of the horrific pick-up and make up the ground I lost by practically parking it at track out to avoid the off/spin/crash.

I shared figuring there isn't a lot of video of Porsches at speed on Lightning and I hope others will share too. I want to learn from them to crack into the 1:10s next year.
2-4 is very interesting. I was taking a more traditional line through there until Fred schooled me. There is a much different line through there that works very well. I'll try and post a video of Fred's line. I don't think he'll mind.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

2-4 is very interesting. I was taking a more traditional line through there until Fred schooled me. There is a much different line through there that works very well. I'll try and post a video of Fred's line. I don't think he'll mind.
Be sure to post that "special line" out of T5, mine is too blurry to bother with.. I wish it was dry/dusty for that one, would have been worthy of Hollywood.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Be sure to post that "special line" out of T5, mine is too blurry to bother with.. I wish it was dry/dusty for that one, would have been worthy of Hollywood.
That is what i really want to see. Some of my better agro moments...

Kidding aside, I found a line that worked for me and the car that I drive (d class 911). I don't know if its good or bad, but it suited me.

I thought that the mini straight between 4 and 5 was a throw-away. For me there, the priority was to move the car to the left side of the track and to position it for a solid entry into 5 (and my car still required some serious steering wheel and foot work to get into 5 properly). Carrying tons of speed in 4 was not all that important. Then i realized that i could actually take turns 2 and 3 as one longer late apex turn (not going anywhere close to the curb at 2), allowing me to carry much more speed from the exit of 1 to the brake zone of 4. It was worth the extra distance. I mid-apexed 4 in 3rd gear from the middle of the track after suddenly killing speed with the brakes. I shaved close to 1/2 a second off of my best lap time up to that point when i tried this line. The other thing that worked real well with my car was to stay in the middle of the track throughout lightbulb (until track out, where i would travel over the last 1/2 of the rumble strip). I will say that I was gaining another 1/2 a second this way. An AIM system sure helps. It's like coffee in the morning...

Again, this worked for me. I don't know if it is good or bad.

What I know is that I have race weekend withdrawal!

Last edited by FredC; 09-15-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Turns 2-4 are interesting, if you saw my video you can see how I try to take it in both of my cars.

I try to carry as much speed into T2 as possible (just a GENTLE braking), without apexing T2, then sort of scrub off speed into 3 and 4 without braking, and holding the same gear (4th in the 997 GT3 cup and 3rd in the '73 RS F class car). It SHOULD be faster in the cup going down to 3rd, but when you are always at the limit there is no place to downshift.

In the enduro in a GTC3 cup car I started to get earlier on T3, not getting so deep on trackout of T2 and that felt pretty good too. The trick was to turn HARD into the lefthander T4 after gently carrying speed through T2-3. I never broke for T4 but Fred's idea of carrying MORE speed in and slowing for T4 could be better... will try that next time.

I found the best lightbulb line was a medium entry and getting down to the inside around the start of the curb on the inside.

I still don't know how to take T5, had two incidents there. I THINK that means I do know how to take it, it just can't be taken any faster though I kept on trying.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Here's Fred's line through 2-4. He's the car in front of the car in front of me. Notice how wide he is of the T2 apex.

http://www.vimeo.com/1741187
Old 09-15-2008, 10:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

Here's Fred's line through 2-4. He's the car in front of the car in front of me. Notice how wide he is of the T2 apex.

http://www.vimeo.com/1741187
The only issue with that line was it was covered with gravel at least 1/2 the time!

Quick Reply: Lightening PCA CR......any news?......