Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing Etiquette - 4 points and 4 drag races

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I didnt read much of the posts, but watched the video. You were better on the turns and braking and he had a little more power. He gave point bys, but was obviously not going to back out of the power. So, what do you do? you have two choices, either back out yourself, and/or pull in to the hot pits for more space, or use this chance to hone your skill sets. you did it right on the last pass, but was a little tenative on the first 3 attempts. the best thing to do is get on the inside, late braking, going door to door, a little ahead of him, so he cant turn in, until you get to a speed you can turn at, and still take a narrow line incase he wants to go door to door. I wouldnt be so hard on the guy, even though it was a little rude. loosing patience is the first reason why problems happen at the track. remember, its DE, and not a race.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given my penchant for confrontation, there is a third option: Pull into pit lane and slowly drive through it. Get in front of said offender and offer a similar scenario with the appropriate point by technique. (a.k.a. the middle finger)

But that's just me. Group hug eveyone.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Given my penchant for confrontation, there is a third option: Pull into pit lane and slowly drive through it. Get in front of said offender and offer a similar scenario with the appropriate point by technique. (a.k.a. the middle finger)

But that's just me. Group hug eveyone.
Option 3A is to pull into pit lane and beat him to the exit!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 PM
mpaton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I wouldnt be so hard on the guy, even though it was a little rude. loosing patience is the first reason why problems happen at the track. remember, its DE, and not a race.
Mark, I could not disagree more with your opinion. You are correct that it was a DE and not a race, and in my opinion this woman should not be driving on the track in a DE. It was not only rude, but unsafe.

Instructing in Texas for 3 PCA Regions (including Hill Country Region, the REAL HCR who did not put on Cups and Saucers) my students and those of my colleagues believe that when a pass is offered in a DE, then the driver doing the pointing recognizes their obligation to let the pointed car be in front by the end of the passing zone. At times, they might not lift so as to permit an immediate pass; this is rude, as are some of the pointing gestures. However the commitment to let the pointed car by may not be ignored.

Evidently this not the rule the yankees use?

Michael
Old 05-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

the best thing to do is get on the inside, late braking, going door to door, a little ahead of him, so he cant turn in, until you get to a speed you can turn at, and still take a narrow line incase he wants to go door to door. I wouldnt be so hard on the guy, even though it was a little rude. loosing patience is the first reason why problems happen at the track. remember, its DE, and not a race.

Are you ****ing NUTS?

This is a DE, not a race, sparky, as you say. Given that, why would you want to late brake & divebomb someone door to door in a DE???

MPaton is 100% correct. This video was broadly discussed when it was first posted immediately following Cups & Saucers, and there was general astonishment that this in-DUH-vidual was an instructor. I don't care if it is a he or she--IRRELEVANT! Their ego & cluelessness is incredibly unsafe and out of place in this group.

End of rant.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bull
Option 3A is to pull into pit lane and beat him to the exit!
Ah yes, option 3A. Although, driving fast through pit lane has other consequences. 1) Black flag and resultant lecture from CDI ; 2) Removal of Turtle bumper sticker having just admitted to driving fast.

Choose your poison.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey, thats fine. Ive just seen so many more dangerous driving techniques in DE, especially in the 90s where there wasnt any instruction, and no one listened anyway!

Remember, it is DE and going door to door under braking in an advanced group manuver, shouldnt be an issue. infact, its pretty safe, as long as you can get door to door on an early braker well before his turn in points. Part of DE is learning to learn how to pick up on the different drivers characteristics. since this guy/gal/instructor, seem to be parking it in the turns and early braking, its a move that would be safe, unless the run group has a rule of no passing in the turns.
Now, it was maybe a little more than rude that the point bys were followed by some heavy throttle. I agree. But, I can clearly remember many times that i have pointed by faster folks, knowing where they are faster, yet only to have them hang back and not make the move. He/she might have thought she was slowing down, and was wondering why you werent blowing by . (not getting the fact that sometimes other cars are faster in the turns and NOT on the straights). Anway, the best "Education" in this situation is patience and making the safe move for the pass, and learning from the experience.
Heck, i would have been laughing the entire time! after all, whats the rush. Plus, you got some cool on bumper video, and thats always more interesting to watch!

Mk

Originally Posted by mpaton
Mark, I could not disagree more with your opinion. You are correct that it was a DE and not a race, and in my opinion this woman should not be driving on the track in a DE. It was not only rude, but unsafe.

Instructing in Texas for 3 PCA Regions (including Hill Country Region, the REAL HCR who did not put on Cups and Saucers) my students and those of my colleagues believe that when a pass is offered in a DE, then the driver doing the pointing recognizes their obligation to let the pointed car be in front by the end of the passing zone. At times, they might not lift so as to permit an immediate pass; this is rude, as are some of the pointing gestures. However the commitment to let the pointed car by may not be ignored.

Michael
Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Ah yes, option 3A. Although, driving fast through pit lane has other consequences. 1) Black flag and resultant lecture from CDI ; 2) Removal of Turtle bumper sticker having just admitted to driving fast.

Choose your poison.
Dude.

You are faster in the hot pits than you are on track...
Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This used to happen to me ALL the time.

Here is what I do. It would have worked well at the entry to the bus stop.

Last edited by TD in DC; 05-30-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC

Here is what I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Zda...eature=related
LMAO! Love the PIT...

LMAO also at the spelling of "pursuit"......
Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mpaton

Michael
PLEASE do not confuse a Californian with a Yankee!

I agree with you 100%....except that I would support shooting out their tires after the second occurrence.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

PLEASE do not confuse a Californian with a Yankee!

I agree with you 100%....except that I would support shooting out their tires after the second occurrence.
You KNOW that is how I roll....

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TD in DC

Here is what I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Zda...eature=related
I just knew that you were going NASCAR when you sold the Porsches!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LMAO! Love the PIT...

LMAO also at the spelling of "pursuit"......
I just knew that you were going NASCAR when you sold the Porsches!
I used to do it in Porsches although I guess i did the masturbatory version since there didn't happen to be another car involved. In this video, it would have been perfect for entry into the bus stop.

Have a great weekend fellas.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:12 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thats fine. Ive just seen so many more dangerous driving techniques in DE, especially in the 90s where there wasnt any instruction, and no one listened anyway!

Remember, it is DE and going door to door under braking in an advanced group manuver, shouldnt be an issue. infact, its pretty safe, as long as you can get door to door on an early braker well before his turn in points. Part of DE is learning to learn how to pick up on the different drivers characteristics. since this guy/gal/instructor, seem to be parking it in the turns and early braking, its a move that would be safe, unless the run group has a rule of no passing in the turns.
Now, it was maybe a little more than rude that the point bys were followed by some heavy throttle. I agree. But, I can clearly remember many times that i have pointed by faster folks, knowing where they are faster, yet only to have them hang back and not make the move. He/she might have thought she was slowing down, and was wondering why you werent blowing by . (not getting the fact that sometimes other cars are faster in the turns and NOT on the straights). Anway, the best "Education" in this situation is patience and making the safe move for the pass, and learning from the experience.
Heck, i would have been laughing the entire time! after all, whats the rush. Plus, you got some cool on bumper video, and thats always more interesting to watch!

Mk
I dont disagree with much of what your saying. There is however one place where I think you're being too kind. The video is pretty clear that that the 993 broke quite early for the busstop and I got up to the doors on the inside, much as you suggest. Remember this was not an instructor group, this was a mixed group of "advanced" drivers. Given that context, theres no excuse for intermediate student, let alone an experienced instructor, in situ with god knows who around them (everything from fresh white drivers to seasoned club racers) to reaccelerate and take the corner with the other guy right next to you on the inside after just having given a third point. Forget completely that theres 3:41 seconds of other video around that moment, I simply can find nothing in those 10 seconds or so that could excuse that drivers actions. Sure, taken as a single clip out of context, you might say it was driver error, we all make mistakes. But, taken in context it, I think it shows something else.

If I were king, and I was presented with this sort of documentary evidence, I would instantly decree that this driver be stripped of their status and immediately busted back to blue (at best, in this case given how few apexes where threatened in the making of this film, more likely back to square one in green) and a block of wood 2.5 inches thick be bolted in place under their accelerator pedal. They'd get their status back only by proving they can actually manage traffic and go fast enough to get promoted with only 50% of their throttle available. I'm sure they'd bitch and moan and maybe never come back. But if they lived with it for a season or so, in the end, they'd thank me for it.

Quick Reply: Passing Etiquette - 4 points and 4 drag races