Sponsored by:

Passing Etiquette - 4 points and 4 drag races

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
umhmm... I forgot this is America. I hate to add all the legalese necessary and the destroy the poetry and rhythm of initial remark, so just assume an asterisk on my previous comment.

*- Valid passing signals with a jovial lift only. Friendship offered in response comes with no explicit or implicit warranties and is redeemable for one session only. Cash value $0.01. Offer not valid in Canada.
Fixed it for ya.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Friends help you move.

Real friends help you move bodies.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Doesn't this thread disprove the words? Sounds like the yellow car doesn't have a lot of "friends" and she was signaling...
Indeed;

Good point. If thy heart be true to the spirit and good intent of the transaction, then all will be well. In other words, if you follow the rules, you'll be rich with friends, and we all know that there is more to it than a simple gesture.

And no, it is not the person you are thinking, Herr Shultz.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:55 PM
mpaton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I have no idea what you disagree with.
I disagree with your view that the best thing to do is to forget about it.

Sometimes people do turn down passes. It happens.
Agreed.

I simply raised the possibility that the offending driver mistakenly misinterpreted the failure to accelerate (or at least perceived failure to accelerate) as DECLINING the pass. So THEY didn't think they were being rude or failing to uphold their responsibility. They thought (1) they were polite (i.e., gave the pass), (2) I was polite (i.e., turned down the pass) and all was green light to go again . . .

The problem gets worse if you start flipping them off after the second point by, which the driver takes as confirmation that you are trying to learn from them and declining the pass. (and yes, this really happened to me once).

In any event, based on my experiences at the track, this is EXACTLY what is going through the other person's mind when they give you multiple point bys but do not let you by: They mistakenly think you have been declining the pass.

So, of course the other driver was wrong.

But at least now you might understand how the person could make such a mistake without thinking they were screwing you over (still doesn't make it right).
I always try to keep in mind that while instructors and racers are the most prolific posters, this is not a forum solely for such people. Newbie students are lurking here, hoping to learn. That being said, I find your interpretation most generous.

If this driver or any other driver thinks the pass was declined because the car did not immediately surge past, then it would appear they have been badly educated. I keep asking what is taught in the north east. TD, are you not a product of the instructors in that area? How have you been taught to decline a pass?

I submit that it is so dangerous to have the pass almost complete by the end of the passing zone, that drivers pointing MUST recognize their obligations. Failing to surge past must NOT be taken as a signal that the pass is declined.

In addition, if a driver chooses to not lift, then the whole passing zone may be used up in getting one car by, or not even getting one car by. We need our passing zones not to be wasted; as cars get faster, the time spent in a passing zone gets shorter.

As far as my conclusion goes, what else can you do as the driver who was victimized by the lack of awareness? You went by and talked with them, as politely as you can muster, asked that they not do it again, and then went on with your business. What more? Should you beat the crap out of them? Stick a screwdriver in their tires? Hold a grudge? No. We are all adults. You forgive and forget unless it happens again AFTER the conversation, at which point it is confirmed as a different type of problem.

But after the first time and you have the conversation, just take it as a compliment (assuming that's why they said they didn't lift) and move on. Taking it as a compliment is your best bet for getting over it without wanting to use your tow hook as a spear the next time you are out on the track.
As to what else you can do, you can decide for yourself if there is a systemic problem in DE passing procedures. If this is not an isolated incident, then it seems to me that there is a problem. I believe Redlineman believes there is, and he's way more familiar with the local procedures and habits than I am.

I believe that if you consider what is required to accomplish a pass in a DE environment, I think you will agree that the mistakes you hypothesize are too dangerous to be allowed to continue.

It is a little annoying, though, how whenever someone makes a mistake all of the high and mighty come out of the woodwork to talk about how the person should be knocked back into Green or worse, even if that might ultimately be appropriate. And I am not aiming this comment at you or anybody in particular. It is just too easy to do on the Internet when we weren't there ourselves . . .
I don't feel aimed at, but I stand by what I have said. The only mistake I see is that "the system" has allowed this driver to have a misguided view of how a pass may be declined. The BIG mistake will come if an instructor passes on that misguided view to their students.

Michael
Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpaton
I disagree with your view that the best thing to do is to forget about it.
I am not sure you understand what I am saying. I said that after that happens to me, the first thing I do is go and talk to the driver. This has always straightened out the problem for me. I also said that if it did not straighten out the problem, that would indicate a much bigger problem, which I did NOT advocate forgetting. I didn't address that issue. My point was that after you have a discussion with someone, and this is their explanation, there is not much else to do at that point. Might as well take it as a compliment that they could think you had so much HP when you have nothing so that you do not harbor ill will. Ill will helps nobody.

I always try to keep in mind that while instructors and racers are the most prolific posters, this is not a forum solely for such people. Newbie students are lurking here, hoping to learn. That being said, I find your interpretation most generous.

If this driver or any other driver thinks the pass was declined because the car did not immediately surge past, then it would appear they have been badly educated. I keep asking what is taught in the north east. TD, are you not a product of the instructors in that area? How have you been taught to decline a pass?

I submit that it is so dangerous to have the pass almost complete by the end of the passing zone, that drivers pointing MUST recognize their obligations. Failing to surge past must NOT be taken as a signal that the pass is declined.

In addition, if a driver chooses to not lift, then the whole passing zone may be used up in getting one car by, or not even getting one car by. We need our passing zones not to be wasted; as cars get faster, the time spent in a passing zone gets shorter.
Again, I am not sure what more to discuss. What the driver did was wrong. Period. I didn't even think that was up for discussion. Here, if you want to wave off a pass, you hold up your right hand and wave it back and forth inside the car.

And don't think this behavior doesn't **** me off. Here is what I feel like doing when I am the victim:

As satisfying as that would be, I know this is just a DE and that people make mistakes. I owe it to them to give them the benefit of the doubt, talk to them as politely as I can muster once, and if they do it again, then I can assume it is intentional or incredible incompetence.

But nobody is arguing that what the driver did was ok.

As to what else you can do, you can decide for yourself if there is a systemic problem in DE passing procedures. If this is not an isolated incident, then it seems to me that there is a problem. I believe Redlineman believes there is, and he's way more familiar with the local procedures and habits than I am.

I believe that if you consider what is required to accomplish a pass in a DE environment, I think you will agree that the mistakes you hypothesize are too dangerous to be allowed to continue.
Again, who said anything about allowing mistakes to continue? I certainly didn't. I don't understand how you can get that from my post. This problem makes me FURIOUS, and I am frequently (once per weekend) a victim.

I always think reeducation is a good idea. That said, this problem happens with about 2-5% of the drivers. So why waste everyone's time to correct the bad apples? Why not black flag those drivers and get them right at the moment? THAT would be more effective IMHO than a class room session two days later. Hell, the persons doing this don't even think they are doing anything wrong or they wouldn't do it in the first place. They need to be corrected immediately . . . not hours later. Why should I have to pit in to cool off? Black flag their asses and make them talk to the CI right then and there. Make them lose some track time.

I don't feel aimed at, but I stand by what I have said. The only mistake I see is that "the system" has allowed this driver to have a misguided view of how a pass may be declined. The BIG mistake will come if an instructor passes on that misguided view to their students.

Michael
The system will never eliminate errors. My point was that it is very easy to make online conversations go too personal and make a driver who is otherwise excellent seem like an idiot for a limited lapse of judgment. I am NOT saying that is the case here. I am just saying that people should remember that real people are involved, and they should act the same way on-line as they would face-to-face. Again, this isn't directed at you or anyone in particular (nor is it directed at RJ ).

Last edited by TD in DC; 06-03-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

II keep asking what is taught in the north east. TD, are you not a product of the instructors in that area? How have you been taught to decline a pass?
As a "product of the system in the north east".... stay on line (i.e. inline behind the car ahead), and wave off the pass.

As an aside, how late is "too late" to take a pass? In the green run groups I don't like anything I can't complete in the first 2/3 of the 'passing zone', if for nothing else than I don't want to make the other driver feel 'uncomfortable'.

In the white group however there were a couple passes I took which ended up being late enough to make me wonder (I took an inside line, but there wasn't any drama as the pass was completed before turn-in). In particular I'm thinking of one I did in the mini-straight between turns 8 & 9 at WGI... I was given the point by right at track out of 8, and the car immediately pulled over to the right. My momentum actually carried me right up to side-by-side (I never had to lift coming out of the corner), but once the considerably more powerful car got on the gas, I wasn't able to complete the pass. They finally lifted (or braked early) just before turn-in, so I was able to be ahead of them going into the apex, but there was no more than 1/2 a car length between my rear and their nose.

Given this case, should I have lifted (or even braked) to 'give up' on the pass? At what point? Seems to me this would actually be WORSE, as they are expecting me to go in front of them.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael
TD, being TD in DC, is certainly not in the Northeast. Don't blame us for him!

My experience is that with regard to PCA, what is taught in the "Northeast" is no different than what is taught in any other part of the country, although my experience only covers the Northwest, Northeast and some of the Southeast. That makes sense to me as it is a National program, but implemented locally.

In the Northeast, there are at least 15 PCA Regions, each with their own DE program. I run with several of them and the basics all seem the same to me. Sometimes it really is the individual's problem, not the system.

BTW, to your question earlier of "what do they teach at Watkins Glen"...actually depends who who is sanctioning the event at The Glen.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bull
TD, being TD in DC, is certainly not in the Northeast. Don't blame us for him!
I bet that has been said about more DC residents than the residents of anywhere else . . .
Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

What is being taught is no different. The differences likely come from A) a huge saturation of drivers and events in the Northeast. Higher numbers offer higher numbers of incidences. B) More egotisitical people that think the rules apply to everyone else.

There can be MANY reasons for people not understanding how to pass correctly, or choosing not to. In the end, there will be no change until someone in charge takes it seriously as a problem, and if there continues to be no consequence to the instigator.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:08 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Given this case, should I have lifted (or even braked) to 'give up' on the pass? At what point? Seems to me this would actually be WORSE, as they are expecting me to go in front of them.
Hey;

You need to be REALLY careful about doing this in the lower groups. Are you sure of what that other driver will do? What they are capable of. What YOU are capable of? So too do you need to pick your spots carefully. The Off Camber is not a turn that offers great rewards to off line drivers.

I would say that if you are not at least even with them by the base of the hill, you might think about backing away. There will be nothing lost of they get squeemish and back way off. You will both just be really slow. To take a guess and assume they are going to give it up for you, and that you can handle being so far off line in that turn, is a bit risky.

All in good time, my son.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Btw, I wasn't joking. I don't see why we need to crucify this person. It was a DE. Everyone is getting worked up about not passing someone. I suggest if you are that worried about it you should go racing, so you can pass anywhere. Or just pit if you get stuck behind someone. I do agree that the situation awareness of the driver was not good, but I'm not sure a multi-page forum thread is really the answer. Just man up and go talk to the other driver (who is a woman btw) and tell her you'd appreciate a lift when she signals.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Colin, I don't think that is why folks are a bit workd up. Rather, it is because an instructor--who whould know better & who is setting an example for all his/her students each weekend they instruct--was pretty much clueless not once, not twice, but 3 times.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Fixed it for ya.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:02 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Just man up and go talk to the other driver (who is a woman btw) and tell her you'd appreciate a lift when she signals.
Which, just for the record, is exactly what I did, as you might have read a few pages back. What I didnt do is get into an argument about it or report it to a CI that seemed totally disinterested.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Colin, I don't think that is why folks are a bit workd up. Rather, it is because an instructor--who whould know better & who is setting an example for all his/her students each weekend they instruct--was pretty much clueless not once, not twice, but 3 times.
Totally agree with that.

Originally Posted by RJay
Which, just for the record, is exactly what I did, as you might have read a few pages back. What I didnt do is get into an argument about it or report it to a CI that seemed totally disinterested.
Ok, good move then! Hopefully she was receptive to the comments (maybe showing the video would have helped).

Quick Reply: Passing Etiquette - 4 points and 4 drag races