Sponsored by:

Passing Etiquette - 4 points and 4 drag races

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:09 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Anyone mention Option 4? Public humiliation. I get a real kick out of the progression to instructor...........
Not hard to figure out who the culprit was. Just look for the Yellow 993 RS #176.

Last edited by sbarton; 06-04-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sbarton
Not hard to figure out who the culprit was. Just look for the Yellow 993 RS #176.

http://hcp.pca.org/Registration%20Fo...ce_%20List.pdf (Cups and Saucers Registration List)

Mission accomplished........
Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, how many entries? Gotta love our little 30ish participant days.........
Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

While everyone continues to pile on this driver, ask yourself if you've ever made a mistake. Most of us aren't as perfect drivers as we like to think.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys are too smart.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 PM
mpaton
Instructor

Originally Posted by 38D
While everyone continues to pile on this driver, ask yourself if you've ever made a mistake. Most of us aren't as perfect drivers as we like to think.
While I've certainly made my share of mistakes, I fail to understand how anybody at a DE can give a point without understanding that it means "If you accept this pass, I commit to letting you be in front by the end of the passing zone". That's not what this driver did.

What else could it possibly mean? What excuse for this behavior can there be? What is taught to new students at Watkins Glen?

Michael
Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Agreed and it wasnt the point of making it in the first place. No effigies need be burnt. Nevertheless, the threat of a little public tar and feathering, no names please, might tend to curb this sort of behavior in the future.

In my entire career I've only held up one car for lack of awareness. It was early in my career at LCMT. They waved a blue at me, I looked in my mirrors, nothing. Next station same thing, looked around still nothing. Turned in under the bridge and finally saw in the drivers mirror a Radical right on my bumper. He was stuck so close, I couldnt actually see the bugger til then.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Mistake=me basically falling asleep at the wheel I was so bored during a race and wrecked my car.

Clueless=having a guy on your *** for more than two (three to be generous) turns and not doing whatever is humanly necessary to get him by. Including BRAKING down the straight if dude is in a Spec Miata.............
Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJay
a Radical right on my bumper. He was stuck so close, I couldnt actually see the bugger til then.
Yep, and why I am very, very, very aware of how I get through traffic. Wasn't always that way; a couple of close calls straightened me out. Not to mention my car is that lovely shade of invisible hardly anyone else was stupid enough to buy.

I've taken to just making an announcement at driver's meetings where I know I'll take the car out at some point to just do your thing, and if it takes an extra corner or two to work things out.........so what. At a DE, the safe pass is paramount.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ssssssssss.....

I was hoping I had not recognized the car, that I was mistaken, but alas...

No way no how can one characterize this as a mistake. The kindest that one could be would be to lable it an utter and preposterously extended lapse, no matter how good a friend it may be.

Frankly, I'm stunned.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

I personally thought Colin was joking..... but I might be wrong.......
Old 06-02-2008, 11:15 PM
911 Wail Tale
Advanced

Originally Posted by 38D
Great point Colin. It was a real classy move for S Barton to provide a link to the Cup/Saucers entrant list.

Oh well, I can't wait for the next installment of the Duct Tape Morons video he posts from VIR........
Old 06-02-2008, 11:19 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Originally Posted by mpaton
While I've certainly made my share of mistakes, I fail to understand how anybody at a DE can give a point without understanding that it means "If you accept this pass, I commit to letting you be in front by the end of the passing zone". That's not what this driver did.

What else could it possibly mean? What excuse for this behavior can there be? What is taught to new students at Watkins Glen?

Michael
Originally Posted by RJay
Agreed and it wasnt the point of making it in the first place. No effigies need be burnt. Nevertheless, the threat of a little public tar and feathering, no names please, might tend to curb this sort of behavior in the future.

In my entire career I've only held up one car for lack of awareness. It was early in my career at LCMT. They waved a blue at me, I looked in my mirrors, nothing. Next station same thing, looked around still nothing. Turned in under the bridge and finally saw in the drivers mirror a Radical right on my bumper. He was stuck so close, I couldnt actually see the bugger til then.
Originally Posted by race911
Mistake=me basically falling asleep at the wheel I was so bored during a race and wrecked my car.

Clueless=having a guy on your *** for more than two (three to be generous) turns and not doing whatever is humanly necessary to get him by. Including BRAKING down the straight if dude is in a Spec Miata.............
Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Ssssssssss.....

I was hoping I had not recognized the car, that I was mistaken, but alas...

No way no how can one characterize this as a mistake. The kindest that one could be would be to lable it an utter and preposterously extended lapse, no matter how good a friend it may be.

Frankly, I'm stunned.
Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I personally thought Colin was joking..... but I might be wrong.......
Well, nearly this exact thing used to happen to me all the time at DEs. Typically once per DE, including in the upper run groups. It used to make me furious.

I ALWAYS went to talk to the drivers after it happened. Almost without exception, the answer was the same:

"If you had wanted the pass, why didn't you take it? I gave you point-bys multiple times, and you never took it, which made me think you didn't want it."

When I protested that I only had 147 hp at my disposal and my pedal was to the floor, they typically responded with:

"Oh, sorry, I thought you had a turbo."

Does it excuse the behavior? No. Does it make the behavior a little more understandable? Yes.

Best thing to do is forget about it and take it as a compliment that anyone could think you were driving something with a lot more HP than you have. Next time you likely will get the point-by.

I think that kind of behavior deserves a black flag . . . and yes, the flaggers should recognize what is going on. Maybe even miss a good part of the run session, but I am not big on the "knock the driver back to blue" unless the same behavior happens repeatedly.

But I tend to get pretty pissed at the moment, forget quickly, and forgive even more quickly so YMMV.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:20 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Boy..... I think this is getting a bit personal...... (no, not talking about you TD)

No one is perfect...... but come on....... this is an instructor who obviously forgot the basics........

good night gentleman.....
Old 06-02-2008, 11:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Hey, to take this in a totally different direction..........anyone ever gone over for "the talk".........someone you've never met, and actually having a good conversation and maybe even making a track friend? Oddly, I can think of a couple of times it's happened when I used to travel around and be the stranger trying to fit in.

Quick Reply: Passing Etiquette - 4 points and 4 drag races