Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Aiptek HD users

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Purely talking about Window's based systems Charlie, and with them .MOV is a non-entity. As long as the video stream or sound isn't compromised I could care less, it's all the same to me. Personally I prefer Linux to all the proprietary systems!

The nice thing about the OJSoft converter is you can got from .MOV to MPEG format just as easily as to .AVI or .WMV... from what I read above MPEG4 would be a better choice, but i'm certainly no video expert! If that's the case you need their MPEG-4 converter, which is here - http://www.ojosoft.com/video-convert...converter.html

George - here are Vimeo's requirements, I don't use Google. Looks like you can upload a .mov directly if it's small enough (>500MB for my account)..

Acceptable video formats: asf, asx, avi, divx, dv, dvx, m4v, mov, mp4, mpeg, mpg, qt, wmv, 3g2, 3gp, 3ivx and 3vx.

Last edited by Gary R.; 07-09-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Purely talking about Window's based systems Charlie, and with them .MOV is a non-entity
Amazing that Aiptek makes a camera that outputs into a non-entity format for the world's most common OS!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

So, I got lost in all the tech speak...which camera...the Gopro or the Aiptek?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Purely talking about Window's based systems Charlie, and with them .MOV is a non-entity.
Shhh.... please don't tell my PC this! It's been working fine with the Aiptek .MOV files, & I don't want it to know that it shouldn't be able to play them!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Back to the initial question, which may have been answered on a previous page (but I'm waaaaaaay too tired to look)--ran into a guy today who wraps his battery so it doesn't lose contact, thus shutting itself off.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Amazing that Aiptek makes a camera that outputs into a non-entity format for the world's most common OS!
MS has *generously* allowed the .MOV codec as a plug-in for their player, but to them if it isn't .WMV it's an alien life form..
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Shhh.... please don't tell my PC this! It's been working fine with the Aiptek .MOV files, & I don't want it to know that it shouldn't be able to play them!
What Windoze video editing program do you use that imports .MOV files Mike? I'm using Pinnacle, which doesn't, but that sure doesn't mean other good ones don't! Now Charlie has me wondering if I should get a .MOV to MPEG-4 converter to keep the original quality intact... OJSoft offers that also (and it outputs to AVI too!), wish he told me before.. though I can't see how a compression based scheme can maintain full quality... A 918MB .MOV file I just converted to MPEG4 is 303MB. Still looks fine to me though..

http://www.ojosoft.com/video-convert...converter.html

Last edited by Gary R.; 07-09-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, I have a silly question. Why can't I use
the Motorola Razr car charger directly into
the Aiptek camera? It has the same mini USB
connector, and there's no need to splice wires.
I must be missing something here...

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

What Windoze video editing program do you use that imports .MOV files Mike? I'm using Pinnacle, which doesn't, but that sure doesn't mean other good ones don't! Now Charlie has me wondering if I should get a .MOV to MPEG-4 converter to keep the original quality intact... OJSoft offers that also (and it outputs to AVI too!), wish he told me before.. though I can't see how a compression based scheme can maintain full quality... A 918MB .MOV file I just converted to MPEG4 is 303MB. Still looks fine to me though..

http://www.ojosoft.com/video-convert...converter.html
Well honestly I guess I misunderstood your comment before. I use my fledgling filmmaker daughter's mac to do my editing using Final Cut. I do it on the Mac because we have it and the software, and it really can't be beat. However my PC has no problem playing the .MOV files, and that was what I thought you were talking about. FWIW, Quicktime Pro can convert to a number of different formats.

Originally Posted by George3
Hey, I have a silly question. Why can't I use
the Motorola Razr car charger directly into
the Aiptek camera? It has the same mini USB
connector, and there's no need to splice wires.
I must be missing something here...

You can try it and see if it works. I suppose it might. The problem with most using mot mini USB chargers as a power supply with the Aiptek is that it puts the Aiptek into charge mode, and the camera will not record while in that mode. The Frankencharger was developed to get around that problem. Just try plugging your Razr car charger into the Aiptek, & see if you can record video. Let us know how it works out. Quite a few folks will be interested.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

If I plug in the Motorola 12v plug... That won't blow
up or "fry" the camera, will it ???

Old 07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Which wire is PLUS and which wire is NEGATIVE coming from the cig adaptor to the mini USB???

The mini USB is from Aiptek and the wires have markings on the outside of the insulation.

The wires inside the cig adaptor are Red and Black... that's easy to figure out the polarity.

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Mike,

Very nice explanantion. However, for me with absolutley no technical ability, one important picture is missing. I understand the clipping of in-car charger and AC-adapter wires and connecting them together, but what is at other end of the wire in this picture? The USB connector, the AC-adaptor, or...?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Here is what I mean . . .

Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Google is your friend

On the cigaretter lighter, the center connection is positive, the sprung 'wings' on the sides which hold the plug into the socket are negative. http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/pin-out/cigar.php

On the USB connector, you can see that pin 1 is hot and 4 is ground, diagrams here: http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

By George... It Works !!!

The thing acually works. The Aiptek records while being
plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.

Thanks Chris, Gary, Paulo, and all the others who
contributed to my happiness !

Will post vids of this weekend @ SP w/Potomac.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:20 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
George3, so i can steal my wifes cig lighter with the usb end and it will power my Aiptek camcorder? I do not have to make the frankencharger?
No, this "is" a Frankencharger. I did not want to risk plugging in an unknown into the camera. I didn't want to risk frying it. I followed all the instructions and pictorials in this thread and it works great!

George

Quick Reply: Question for Aiptek HD users