Question for Aiptek HD users

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Just went through this with my bud Sean.. I bought mine at B&H Photo for $29.90 shipped. Problem is I bought the LAST one.

Here is the info I could dig up..
Here is the lens you need, but I bought the last one they had!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._45x_Wide.html

Here is what I found online, still have to check to be sure they are in stock…

http://www.magneticlenses.com/wide_a...FQNfFQoddweakA
$37.95

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...i_sku=11126878
$36.99

http://www.semsons.com/macolebytose.html
$34.99

http://www.goshotcamera.com/product/...ith_macro.html
$39.95

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-45x-Magnetic-W...ayphotohosting
The wide angle thing looked pretty good.

You weren't worried that it would pop off hitting gators or spinning or rolling over?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Glad to hear you remote issue worked out George. Now you'll be able to video my line at Summit in August to improve your driving
Yes, Streak. . . . that was my main concern. Now I can follow your line. And, remember - - don't give me point by!!!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:13 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

Gary,
I like your wide angle lens. I would like to get one. Do you know how many "mm" the lens is? I would like to get a little wider angle, so I can see the shifting of the gears. Right now with my camera all I can see is my hand going on and off the steering wheel.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George3
Yes, Streak. . . . that was my main concern. Now I can follow your line. And, remember - - don't give me point by!!!!!
As a rule I don't point by blue, black or red cars. No reason really but we all have to set parameters.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:16 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

What group are you running at SP ?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:26 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a rule I don't point by blue, black or red cars. No reason really but we all have to set parameters.
Good thing Orange is not on your Verboten list...
Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Good thing Orange is not on your Verboten list...
I can't recall an orange car ever passing me so it's never been an issue
Old 07-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George3
What group are you running at SP ?
Black which is good for you since it will afford you the most opportunities to observe the Track Whisperer in action
Old 07-26-2008, 09:45 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Black which is good for you since it will afford you the most opportunities to observe the Track Whisperer in action

How did you get into black ? Did you finally get those new knee pads dirty ?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good hands
How did you get into black ? Did you finally get those new knee pads dirty ?
MEEOW!
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2008, 04:06 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I also found out iMacs do not play or record your HD video into a Blu-Ray! How then do I take my HD recordings and put them on a disc to play in my or friends Blu-Ray players with a Mac?
My understanding in my research is that you can write out the avchd to a DVD. Most (all?) blue ray players will read that format.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

I bought a MacBook something or other last year and will never go back. I still use PC desktops just because they still work but when the laptop went kaput I went Mac.

I don't really do much with it except excel and word and email or surf so I don't have any super power needs and I'm not really savvy if you can't tell.

I have struggled with making movies or dvd's or editing raw footage for a few years and when I put a camera in my car I got really frustrated with the pc software included with the cameras or windows crap. I shouldn't have to be some kind of code slinger to make a home movie.

In iMovie (included in the Mac) it is literally a drag and drop operation that honestly could not be simpler. rather than hours trying to relearn the convoluted process on a windows program because no one could possibly recall how it friggin works except total geeks, I spend minutes, literally minutes selecting my clip, adding witty commentary and export to vimeo. Done.

Much more intuitive. The quick start guide is all you need to read. No joke.

If I could go out tomorrow and replace everything with a Mac I would but I need safety mods
Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hummm...interesting I will look into it but so far it just seems easier and cheaper to just get a new Dell or Gateway desktop than get a iMac. from looking at the specs between PC's and the iMac it seems the PC has far more power.
The new quad core macs have a lot of grunt, but I havent really compared, and of course always at a premium. Point is, if I'm correct, you dont need a blue ray burner in either case, you can just burn this format to a DVD, which should save some $$$ either way. Heres a link to a discussion in this from last year for the PS3 (which is what I have) AVCHD on PS3

Personally, after coming perilously close to buying a pano SD9, I'm trying to hold off this HD thing as it seems the cameras all have compromises, either battery life or rolling shutter or operationally that I just dont think I can live with yet. As much as I'd like to dump my SD miniDV for an SD9, I'm actually thinking if I do anything I'll just go with the FS100 and its awesome 3.6 hours of record time with a 16G card, 2.5 hours of battery life and incredible color rendition for $350 with the card. But its 720x480. OTOH, staying SD renders all this editing crapola mute for another few years until all til all this stuff gets straightened out.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Hummm...interesting I will look into it but so far it just seems easier and cheaper to just get a new Dell or Gateway desktop than get a iMac. from looking at the specs between PC's and the iMac it seems the PC has far more power.

Anyoen? suggestions and opinions appreciated!
Mike,

We've got two macs, and three PCs in our family (of only four people). The Macs are more expensive true, but they are FAR superior in handling video, and much more bullet proof in their operation. My daughter is starting college in the fall as a film major. She does all her video editing (and she does some pretty good stuff) on an iMac. About $2500 will get you in a fairly nice one (24" monitor, 1 TB drive, 4Gb memory). I wonder how often you will actually watch your track videos on your TV? Watching HD on a 24" computer monitor that is a foot away from you is pretty awesome.

Tip: If you do get a Mac, and you're not afraid to add memory yourself, do not buy memory from Apple. Go to someone like newegg.com, and buy it there. Apple way overcharges for memory.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

I have the aiptek ahd and when reviewing video on my computer it seems choppy like stop and start again. my card is an ultra 11 (I think means high speed). it is fine when watching using playback on camera plugged into tv
anybody experience this?

Quick Reply: Question for Aiptek HD users