Question for Aiptek HD users

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkSkin
Maybe you could mount a plastic bubble/magnifier to the LCD directly over where the red dot appears, to make it more obvious.
I just ordered some plastic fresnel lenses that I'm going to try out for this. I'll report back if it works.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 AM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I just ordered some plastic fresnel lenses that I'm going to try out for this. I'll report back if it works.
That might work out fine -- I was thinking something like this though:

Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Mike
Does it matter which lead is soldered to which? I am assembling the RickBetterley variant to the frankencharger (using the hardwired kit) and I don't see any indication that it matters in your assembly instructions. I'd hate to find out the hard way by frying the camera.
My hardwired kit has 2 leads, just like using the plug adapter you use.
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:03 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Mike
Does it matter which lead is soldered to which? I am assembling the RickBetterley variant to the frankencharger (using the hardwired kit) and I don't see any indication that it matters in your assembly instructions. I'd hate to find out the hard way by frying the camera.
My hardwired kit has 2 leads, just like using the plug adapter you use.
Thanks!
Unfortunately Rick, IIRC I think I may have used the blind luck method.

I don't think you can fry it with 5v. But with a voltmeter, you should be able to figure it out. Clip both cables. Plug the car charger cable in, and determine which is hot and which is ground. Then plug the wall charger in, and find the hot and ground leads there. Then just solder hot to hot, ground to ground. I don't remember now if I did that, or if I used trial and error. The volt meter would be the safe route.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polarity matters and it can damage the unit. Looks like the wires are color coded in the post below, just match up the colors in the pictures.

https://rennlist.com/forums/5424274-post52.html
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Polarity matters and it can damage the unit. Looks like the wires are color coded in the post below, just match up the colors in the pictures.

https://rennlist.com/forums/5424274-post52.html
Thank you Brian and Mike - I had a hard time seeing the colors on Mike's how to, but he suggests a good method using my trusty multitester.
Brian - thanks for the caution; I hate to trust to luck with electronics.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I decided to go ahead and make my frankencharger, but really preferred to hard wire the power, rather than use the lighter and plug.
Lo and behold, there is a hardwire kit for GPS units which also charges my Blackberry, so I figure it should work in the frankencharger.
It is called a Gilsson GUSB5V-B Direct Wire Cable; it includes the transformer to step down the car's 12 volts to 5 volts, and terminates in a USB connector, so if I follow the frankencharger directions, this should work, right?
Found it at Amazon but there are other outlets.
Well, I am very happy to say that this variant works just fine. Hooked it up today and the camera now shows that it is charging while filming.
I feel good.
Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread and especially to my questions.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mglobe
Unfortunately Rick, IIRC I think I may have used the blind luck method.

I don't think you can fry it with 5v. But with a voltmeter, you should be able to figure it out. Clip both cables. Plug the car charger cable in, and determine which is hot and which is ground. Then plug the wall charger in, and find the hot and ground leads there. Then just solder hot to hot, ground to ground. I don't remember now if I did that, or if I used trial and error. The volt meter would be the safe route.
Turns out that the lead with the white tracer is the hot lead.
Thanks again; its all soldered up and working like a charm. I like the idea of not having to plug into the lighter receptacle for a track car (preferring to keep the wiring hidden and out of harms way whenever possible).
Old 04-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread has been incredibly helpful. Has anyone integrated the Aiptek with a Traqmate? Looks like Traqmate sells software but I dont know if it works with the camera or if it is any good. Other options?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
This thread has been incredibly helpful. Has anyone integrated the Aiptek with a Traqmate? Looks like Traqmate sells software but I dont know if it works with the camera or if it is any good. Other options?
Last I heard, H.264 video (Aiptek HD cameras use this) was a problem for Traqmate's own video software. The good news is that there are 3 other options which I listed in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...aiptek-hd.html
Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
Last I heard, H.264 video (Aiptek HD cameras use this) was a problem for Traqmate's own video software. The good news is that there are 3 other options which I listed in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...aiptek-hd.html
Well, I guess I should add my latest update, which really isn't Aiptek related, but more hardwired related.

My car serves double duty, so I have my V1 hardwired between the rearview mirror the passenger sun visor. I also use a Performance box data logger - which plugs into the cigarette lighter. Well, having only one cigarette lighter means that I can either run the Box or the Aiptek.

Since the V1 hardwires with a RJ-11 (phone cord), I took a phone cord coupler and some old cord I had lying around Franken-built an adapter that simply plugs onto the V1 power supply. For the Performance Box end, I also had an army of the typical round charger ends that it uses lying around on unused power supplies, so I just cut one off and spliced it to the Franken-adapter.
Name:  PhoneCoupler.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  4.3 KB

Works like a charm. Two other benefits of this that I stumbled on:
1) The PBox is now up and not obstructing the main view window of the Aiptek.
2) I can now reach the PBox when strapped in. Just barely, but having it low on the windshield was impossible to reach.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance, but it's nothing special.

-td
Old 04-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

FYI

Aiptek is selling extended batteries and the corresponding covers now.

I just ordered two since I don't have it hardwired.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:51 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
FYI

Apparently not available for the GVS.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
FYI

Streak!!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
Thanks for the info Weston, probably going to go with Trackvision

Quick Reply: Question for Aiptek HD users