Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Aiptek HD users

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008 | 06:27 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
George3, so i can steal my wifes cig lighter with the usb end and it will power my Aiptek camcorder? I do not have to make the frankencharger?
Mike - if your charger is 12V in and 5.0V - 1A out it *might* work... or not... or damage something. I'd like to know but I don't want to chance it to find out. I still don't get how the camera knows the difference between the two!
Old 07-10-2008 | 06:46 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

<< I still don't get how the camera knows the difference between the two! >>

I would guess it may have something to do with polarity, but not sure.
G

Old 07-10-2008 | 06:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George3
<< I still don't get how the camera knows the difference between the two! >>

I would guess it may have something to do with polarity, but not sure.
G

My (total) guess is that the car adapter uses a different pin-out on the mini-DIN end than the AC adapter. If it was polarity just reversing the wires in the car charger would get the same results, no? Anyway, glad it works George! Get the remote to work? Mine just came, starts/stops recording no problem..
Old 07-10-2008 | 07:14 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Yep,
Got the Remote to work.
I'm good to go.

Old 07-10-2008 | 07:33 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George3
Yep,
Got the Remote to work.
I'm good to go.

I just got mine...opening the package! regarding the remote, WTF is the battery? or is it already in the remote
Old 07-10-2008 | 07:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyC
I just got mine...opening the package! regarding the remote, WTF is the battery? or is it already in the remote
Just pull that tab out Bobby, it's just an insulator so the battery doesn't discharge while in the package...
Old 07-10-2008 | 07:36 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Just pull that tab out Bobby, it's just an insulator so the battery doesn't discharge while in the package...
ok...pulled that little transparent thingy out...thanks.

Man, this is real-time online installation help!!! You should charge Aiptek for this service...
Old 07-15-2008 | 11:34 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

I tried to use it in my race car on my roll bar cross tube(I need it far back for a wider view), so I can't reach it. I tried using the remote but the infrared beam is too weak for the bright sunlight. I can not see if the record icon is on or not. A Sony type Lanc controller would be ideal as a means of being positive that the camcorder is in record mode. Any suggestions, please.
Old 07-16-2008 | 12:33 AM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

bill- i also have the remote. what i did to see if the camera is in record mode is flip the screen so u could see it in your rear view mirror. i hope that helps !
i keep mine on the diagonal bar and works quite well to see most of the driver and pass front. its not a wide angle lens but not bad. someone here had mentioned a magnetic wide lens that snaps on the existing ..anyone ??
v-tach
Old 07-16-2008 | 12:44 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Thanks V-tach. I couldn't see it in my mirror which is solidly fixed in position, but I will have another go at it in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-16-2008 | 08:23 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v-tach
bill- i also have the remote. what i did to see if the camera is in record mode is flip the screen so u could see it in your rear view mirror. i hope that helps !
i keep mine on the diagonal bar and works quite well to see most of the driver and pass front. its not a wide angle lens but not bad. someone here had mentioned a magnetic wide lens that snaps on the existing ..anyone ??
v-tach
See if this helps

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...81&forum_id=92

Originally Posted by mdrums
I went to down load some HD video from my Apitek and my Canon HV10 and when using the Penical Studio 10 program for the Canon got a message that my video card in not big enough to handle HD video.

going on 3 years old Dell XPS M140 laptop. Can a HD video card be installed in my lap top? IF so what shoudl I get? Or maybe I should go get a iMac as a desk top for my home office and just use my Dell laptop for my business travel emails and surfing the web in the hotel????

As always suggestions and opinions! Thanks!
If you get an iMac, you can use Final Cut for editing. A very good product. There is a "junior" version of it, I think called Final Cut Express that will work fine for most of the stuff racers like to do with video.
Old 07-16-2008 | 08:25 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

I also had trouble getting the remote to turn on the camera. You would think that if you push "record" that the camera would automatically begin to do so. Not so.

I had a lot of f**k'd up recording sessions coming in to the pits and thinking I was turning the camera "off" when in fact, I was turning it on. I did have the display facing me, but the little round red record dot is difficult to see.

I'll have another go at it next week and see if there is anything I can do to make sure the camera is recording when I want it to.
Old 07-16-2008 | 12:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

When it's recording not only is there a red dot but there is a big "STOP" on the bottom of the screen. Record off "Stop" dissapears. Reality is it records so long on the larger SD cards you can turn it on when you 1st get in the car and fogetaboutit...

Also, I found and just ordered the magnetic wide angle from here - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._45x_Wide.html but it now shows "Out of Stock"...??

The lens are sold under the names Phoenix, Impact, Sunpak, and Digital Concepts out there.

Shipped was just under $30... I would have bought it "used" but not sure if the magnetic ring would be with it..

Last edited by Gary R.; 07-16-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2008 | 12:45 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Mike thanks for the link. I had read it before buying the camcorder.

George I hope you have more luck this weekend. Please post your results.
Old 07-16-2008 | 01:01 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by comatb
Mike thanks for the link. I had read it before buying the camcorder.

George I hope you have more luck this weekend. Please post your results.
Here's posting the results from last weekend. The best I could get out of it. The one video shows a silver 993 losing his wheel on the track. Funny, but glad no one was hurt.
http://vimeo.com/1340900
I'll try to get another video up after next week's event.

Gary-
I didn't notice the STOP on the screen before. I'll look for it. I got my 16 gig card now, so you are right... I'll get the recording started before I strap in.

Quick Reply: Question for Aiptek HD users