Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

We need an update. How did everyone do?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:52 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Geoffrey did great yesterday getting fast time in his group- at his first race and on a track that was new to him.
Jerry Greene was super fast all weekend, outqualified me in the sprint and won our dry/damp/wet sprint race by over a minute... insane. Norm's turbo with spooled rear end would not work when it got wet so he wisely came in.

I watched part of my enduro today with Colin on the hill by the keyhole, he had brake problems. Charlie was working hard, those cars are a handful on that track. I left early as I spun twice today, both times in the chicane before the keyhole. First time was the out lap on the morning warmup ('08 throttle is an on/off switch and no ABS) so I came in as it was still too wet to learn anything. Then after about 20 minutes in our enduro it started raining AGAIN and in addition someone was also putting down oil... so I spun in the same place and would like to thank people for avoiding me while I sat in the middle of the track unable to select any gear but 3rd (sequentials are not always the hot setup). I had led the first few laps of the enduro from the pole, and had some great battles, but that was enough for me so I packed it up. It was pretty dry when I left, I hope it held out and everyone who stayed out had a good race.

I caught an early flight home so I'm already back at work for a few hours and checking some forums.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Azikara
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was nice to meet Larry Herman (we'll call him fast-Larry ) and he came up trumps with a small electrical part i needed to get my car going again. Thanks Larry!

Also great to see our other fine and friendly racers: Rick Fischer, Mo, Joey Martinez, Oscar Im, Dave Mansfield (who got his rookie license - way to go Dave!).

Loved the track (my first time). I was just starting to figure out left from right when i developed a vibration in my left rear that kept me out of the enduro. Looked like everyone was having fun and had a nice clean race.

Tristan
Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Was a fun event, despite my brake issues. The orange fun got off to an interesting start when Geoffrey spun on cold tires in T1. Every rookie is allowed one mistake, and he was very fast and clean the rest of the weekend. He also won both the Rookie award and best prepared (that car is even more amazing in person).

My brake issue started with a few laps to go in the fun race. Was going into T1 and the pedal went to the floor. Pumped them a few times and they came back (though that turn was quite interesting). I slowed down to try and diagnose the issue, and realized that if I pumped them 3-4 times before each corner, they actually worked. So I flushed the whole system and they seemed ok. But sure enough, on the warmup lap for the sprint, they were going to the floor again. So I just backed off at the start and let about 6 cars pass me into T1. I went into "bring it home mode" and nursed it to the finish, despite being some 3-4 secs per lap slower. Oh well. Larry will be able to post some good video as he mercilessly tracked down the wounded cup!

For the enduro, I decided that I just couldn't keep the left foot pumping thing up for 90 mins, and relegated myself to crew chief for Charlie (and important role, as he drives like a sally when not pushed ).

Mike was blazing quick all weekend. He pulled a big gap at the start of the enduro, until that one car oiled the entire track. Too bad, as I think the overall win would may been secured! As I was talking to Charlie on the radio, he was pretty amazed no one had crashed with the track so slick. Jerry Greene was also fun to watch charge from the back. The changing conditions definitely looked challenging (was wondering what had happened to Norm, as he was looking fast too!). To give you an idea on how tough it was, Charlie ran a fast lap of 1:37, and a slow lap of 2:05 (and that was a hot lap, not the out lap after the pit stop).

The other battle worth noting was Crossman v Hupfer, who were nose to tail for what seemed like most of the blue enduro. Mark started in front, but Doug got by him at some point ( watched from the front straight). Every time they would go into T1, there was maybe 2 feet between the cars. Doug eventually managed to pull a 2-3 sec gap and hold on for the win.

The event was also very clean -- I don't think there were any full course yellows all weekend. My only suggestion would be to go back to a 3 day race weekend, as the pace was pretty frenetic.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The orange fun got off to an interesting start when Geoffrey spun on cold tires in T1
I didn't think anyone saw that...
Old 05-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks all for comming,Any tips on how to improve next year?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:50 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Tristan, it was great seeing you and the others this weekend. Your new ride looks great and you did well in the sprint. Sorry about your issues with the suspension.

Geoffrey, your car is beautiful. I enjoyed watching the C1 cars in the enduro.

Gregg, MORPCA does a nice job with event. I think the close proximity of Mid O to WG hurts attendance. Last year there the event was three days and offered two sprints. I think if you could go back to that format next time there will be more interest. We had a great time.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:04 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Thanks all for coming,Any tips on how to improve next year?
The pace car was TOO SLOW. There was no way to get any heat in our tires at those speeds. it should start out slow then speed up when all cars are on the track. It was even too slow leaving the track, I had never started a race in first gear before. I tried to get up to 2nd gear speed when I started the enduro. I know Mid Ohio is tough for starts, the SCCA started us on the long straight at the runoffs. But the pace car still needs to get up to speed while on the track so we can get our tires and brakes up to safe temperatures.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:49 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

What were the fast GTC3 times like? Any sub 1:30's?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:23 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Umbrella girls from Columbus Gold.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Umbrella girls from Columbus Gold.
They had umbrella girls there, they were just wearing gray uniforms with badges.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
78SC
Instructor

Kevin,

Times were about the same as last year for the GTC3's Jerry Greene has a bunch of mid 1:31's. Best I could manage was a 1:33 which was a little off from last year. Interesting weather. I think it was hailing in the keyhole at one point during the enduro while the sun was out on other parts of the track.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it was hailing in the keyhole at one point during the enduro
Yea, that was pretty cool.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kev
What were the fast GTC3 times like? Any sub 1:30's?
I heard a GT2R car had some 1:30.xxx's

Quick Reply: MID OHIO MAY 17 &18