Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWA911
I'm not sure what that means. I was being serious. Your driving looks really smooth and the line looks very good to me. You would probably be a very good racer.
Jeff, it just means that simply driving a smoother line than a lot of Blue Solo and fellow Yellow group DE'ers (who, on this day, to quote VR, weren't even in the same zip code as the apexes), isn't that hard compared to what YOU are doing.

I appreciate your comments, though; thanks. Perhaps some day.... But I often wonder if I've simply achieved a really good setup on my car that I'm comfortable with, and would just suck in a car that requires more skill.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:32 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ervtx
Jeff, it just means that simply driving a smoother line than a lot of Blue Solo and fellow Yellow group DE'ers (who, on this day, to quote VR, weren't even in the same zip code as the apexes), isn't that hard....
Gee, thanks Russell...
Old 05-27-2008, 01:39 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Russell, I'm looking forward to seeing more video you have of Steve T and I. Can't wait to see how much track we are leaving on the table at apex and track out! I also noticed that you are clipping the first apex of the double turns (T3, T9, etc). I've been displacing the first apex and hitting the second in the double turns. What are folks' thoughts on that? Am I leaving something on the table there? I'm talking about clean hot lap lines. I know in a race, all bets are off regarding lines.
Greg, at T9 that's probably just sloppiness on my part. I'm not trying to hit the first apex per se, but if I'm doing it consistently, then that's something I'd want to pay attention to next time.

At T3 I was dabbling with trailbraking and taking an early apex. For some reason my car "just works" from T3 through T5, so I'm pushing it harder through there. When I post the remaining "Rear View" video, you'll notice that I pull away with ease through T5, and have to use straight into T6 to let you guys catch up.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:40 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Fun weekend; very hot!
Hey Jeff, I followed you in the pits for the enduro knowing you were timing your stop. I was unprepared and had to run get a water from Bob B. By the time I got back in the car, you had taken off and I was about 1.30 behind you getting out. I really did not think the car or myself would last but the cautions kept the temps down and I was feeling ok.

I got my butt kicked all weekend but always had someone to race.
Glad your weekend went well Brad. I'll look you up next week when Barry and I go down that way to pick up the trailer. Have a good lunch place in mind.

Speaking of Enduro pit stops. Yes, I was very prepared and had practiced my pit exit and had it down to within a couple of seconds. That is why I was so suprised when they Black Flagged me after the stop. Came in and was told by the scrutineer that I had shorted my stop by 34 seconds and they were going to hold me for that amount of time. This cost me at least one position in the final results. I came home and checked my video and my stop was 5:02. So basically the new fancy computerized pit timing equipment is not working so good. Either that or they got me confused with another car. I actually think the latter is the case because one of the Mav Region guys who was monitoring the radios told me later that when they called my number they said "737 red" and we all know my car is white, not red. Nothing I can do about it now but it just sucks that I was robbed of a position in that race.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Gee, thanks Russell...
Oh calm down you didn't see your car in the "questionable point-by's" collection did you?

Just to be clear.... the "midgets in the room" are the cars in that video. The "tallest midget" is me. We're all midgets compared to club racers. Get it?

I guess this higher-order humor just doesn't work in text mode????
Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an interesting experience this weekend at EC. Went out to run in the DE and watch the race. My group is out first on Sunday morning and the track is wet from a shower, but there is no real standing water. I decide this would be a good time to practice low traction driving. I'm pushing the pace and thinking that I am doing really well, but as I pass the corner stations I notice they are waving their arms in a circular manner telling me to go faster. WTF? It's wet out here, I can't go much faster. All the workers seem to agree because they are telling me the same thing. After a lap of this I get Black flagged and pull into the pits. Joel, Mr. Black flag, comes up to me and yells 'hey, do you think you could pay attention to the corner workers and roll your window down!' At this point I am looking for a rock to crawl under . Now I know what the signal for roll your window down looks like......
Old 05-27-2008, 04:19 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by ervtx
Oh calm down you didn't see your car in the "questionable point-by's" collection did you?

Just to be clear.... the "midgets in the room" are the cars in that video. The "tallest midget" is me. We're all midgets compared to club racers. Get it?

I guess this higher-order humor just doesn't work in text mode????
I guess my winkie icon was lost on you too. I knew what you meant. Just messing with you...
Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by rickdm
...as I pass the corner stations I notice they are waving their arms in a circular manner telling me to go faster. WTF? It's wet out here, I can't go much faster. All the workers seem to agree because they are telling me the same thing. After a lap of this I get Black flagged and pull into the pits. Joel, Mr. Black flag, comes up to me and yells 'hey, do you think you could pay attention to the corner workers and roll your window down!' At this point I am looking for a rock to crawl under . Now I know what the signal for roll your window down looks like......
I did exactly the same thing at TWS once. On the warm up lap all the corner workers are circling their arms in a motion that seems to say "hurry up, pick up the pace!". I kept thinking WTF, I'm on the warm up lap. Then finally at T10 where they black flagged me, I finally went 'DOH!' and rolled down the window. Yeah, I felt like a doofus...
Old 05-27-2008, 05:21 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you guys were driving ECR, here are a couple of pics of my driving around Silverstone in the UK:

Last edited by 10 GT3; 10-19-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 886 Posts

^^^ UP YOURS! ^^^
Old 05-27-2008, 05:27 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, what you guys were driving wasn't the wet...that was slightly damp. You haven't driven in the wet, until you have to you your thumb and forefinger as a helmet visor squeegy at 120 mph. Try driving in a bathtub with a steering wheel with massive water spray from the tires of the car in front of you completely as you close on at over 120 mph. Now that was wet. I would have loved to have your weather when I was at the track.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 286 Posts

Off topic. Please take your attempt at self gratification elsewhere.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Sorry, what you guys were driving wasn't the wet...that was slightly damp. You haven't driven in the wet, until you have to you your thumb and forefinger as a helmet visor squeegy at 120 mph. Try driving in a bathtub with a steering wheel with massive water spray from the tires of the car in front of you completely as you close on at over 120 mph. Now that was wet. I would have loved to have your weather when I was at the track.
Insecure much?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
How about NT01's?
I am definitely going to try a set before the end of the season as a replacement for the POS R888's. Unfortunately the Toyo Bucks program will make it a tough sell to our crowd out West. In 4 races I've almost paid for half a new set!

Jay if you ever get around to testing Hoosiers post the results please.....
Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
I'm finding out that most if not all of what worked in a cup to go fast is a detriment in the Boxster. Going from a momentum car to more power is definitely the way to go! In the cup, if you wanted to go faster you just beat on it & got ballsier. Try that in the Boxster & you go slower. It is definitely a finesse game with these cars. I'm starting over & I love it! I'll definitely be a better, faster driver next time I get in a cup
It's been a learning experience for me too. I've raced the cup only at my last 2 events and I truly feel I was a better driver because of the Boxster (well that and a new LSD). Where as the cup is more prone to snap oversteer, the Boxster pushes a lot and is usually pretty easy to control the rear end. I'm going out to our short track this weekend just to experiment and try a few different set-ups.

Understanding how these Toyo's work is one of the most difficult tasks involved in going fast in a Boxster. They seem to change characteristics from session to session, and some drivers swear they're faster at 15 cycles then they are when new. Mark Foley told his new tires were significantly slower there this past weekend so he switched back to 20 cycle tires for Sunday's race and was faster. Go figure!

Quick Reply: Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?