Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:31 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jay, sorry you had problems. I've got a lot more respect for the SPBOX now. They appear to be a really fun car. I guess just like you said, the reliability issues just need to get resolved. It sounds like you have a handle on that though. The Amond bros. were really fun to run with even if it was a little "close" at times. BTW I've got some pretty nice video of you and one of those brothers (sorry guys I'm bad with names) in the blue Box having a pretty nice battle.

Yeah, I guess Watkins has put me in my place. So maybe it's not a girl car after all. Maybe just a girl that had a sex change.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Jay....T6 does in yet another crucial part of one of your car, eh? What's that, 3 times now in the same spot? And my diff grenaded there, too? Sweet...

Yeah, having "no" power is fun.....except for long straightaways!
Yep, my favorite spot on the track

I'm finding out that most if not all of what worked in a cup to go fast is a detriment in the Boxster. Going from a momentum car to more power is definitely the way to go! In the cup, if you wanted to go faster you just beat on it & got ballsier. Try that in the Boxster & you go slower. It is definitely a finesse game with these cars. I'm starting over & I love it! I'll definitely be a better, faster driver next time I get in a cup
Old 05-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Good point. I never had a "fast" car set up for track, so I wouldn't know!

One more thing about tires: I know the R6's are much better than the R5's, but I also know some BMW racers who were slightly faster on RA1's than Hoosiers (and they are VERY good racers). Some of it is pure technique.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:43 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

One more thing about tires: I know the R6's are much better than the R5's, but I also know some BMW racers who were slightly faster on RA1's than Hoosiers (and they are VERY good racers). Some of it is pure technique.
True. On the heavier 911s, some guys were competitive on MPSCs against Hoosiers but I still think Hoosier is the way to go on a letter car for most folks. I also don't think the R888 is as close to the RA1 as we had hoped it would be. We are not seeing the wear characteristics that we expected based on the RA1s.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

How about NT01's?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:58 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SWA911
Jay, sorry you had problems. I've got a lot more respect for the SPBOX now. They appear to be a really fun car. I guess just like you said, the reliability issues just need to get resolved. It sounds like you have a handle on that though. The Amond bros. were really fun to run with even if it was a little "close" at times. BTW I've got some pretty nice video of you and one of those brothers (sorry guys I'm bad with names) in the blue Box having a pretty nice battle.

Yeah, I guess Watkins has put me in my place. So maybe it's not a girl car after all. Maybe just a girl that had a sex change.
Yeah, they are getting there. It was great having the Cali guys here this weekend since they have experienced a lot of what we are seeing now. Turns out my car had modified, stock drop links instead of the Tarrett bits. I've got those for all four corners on the way & the better rear sway too.

I love running with the old 911s! I'm still an air-cooled guy @ heart! Glen had to talk me into selling my 993 cup & then again into buying the 996 version. It's great to be out there mixing it up with you guys & I still think the air-cooled cars are some of the best engineered, best looking cars Porsche ever built
Old 05-26-2008, 11:58 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

some pics
Attached Images      
Old 05-27-2008, 12:03 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the pics!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

How about NT01's?
Not sure on the NT01s. They ran Hankooks last year but they don't make exactly the right size for the rear. The cars were faster w/them though. They went with Toyo this year because of the relationship they had in the 944 Spec series already in POC & the fact that they now make the proper sizes for our cars. They didn't w/RA1s. We'll see how things shake out this year & re-evaluate @ season end.

Last edited by JW in Texas; 05-27-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
Love that rear window view.
You're next
Old 05-27-2008, 12:45 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWA911
Russell, you appear to be a pretty good driver. Really smooth. You should Club Race.
Even the tallest midget in the room is still a midget.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 AM
SWA911
Instructor

Originally Posted by ervtx
Even the tallest midget in the room is still a midget.
I'm not sure what that means. I was being serious. Your driving looks really smooth and the line looks very good to me. You would probably be a very good racer.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Waco Kid
Advanced

Fun weekend; very hot!
Hey Jeff, I followed you in the pits for the enduro knowing you were timing your stop. I was unprepared and had to run get a water from Bob B. By the time I got back in the car, you had taken off and I was about 1.30 behind you getting out. I really did not think the car or myself would last but the cautions kept the temps down and I was feeling ok.

I got my butt kicked all weekend but always had someone to race.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:21 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russell, I'm looking forward to seeing more video you have of Steve T and I. Can't wait to see how much track we are leaving on the table at apex and track out! I also noticed that you are clipping the first apex of the double turns (T3, T9, etc). I've been displacing the first apex and hitting the second in the double turns. What are folks' thoughts on that? Am I leaving something on the table there? I'm talking about clean hot lap lines. I know in a race, all bets are off regarding lines.

I have CR photos that I'll download tonight and post and also video. Video will probably take me longer.

Regarding the track condition/surface, I'm confident that the owners will take care of everything that needs to be taken care of. I had the chance to speak with them this weekend and they expressed enormous passion for this track and a strong commitment to making it a high quality track. We are witnessing it in its earliest stages of life (its only been open about 6 or 7 months) and there will definitely be some growing pains to work through as with any large enterprise of this complexity. I think it will be a great track with some rework of the paving and as more infrastructure gets added over time (garages, spectator areas, etc). Obviously, the paving issues are the highest priority to them right now.

Quick Reply: Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?