Sponsored by:

5 pt or 6 pt harness for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:08 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5 pt or 6 pt harness for DE?

Can someone give me the basic advantages and disadvantages of the 5pt vs 6pt harness. Things like safety issues, installation differences (which is a more invasive installation), PCA DE rules (is one favored over another). I guess I'm unclear on the concept of the 6pt (I understand how the 5pt works). I don't race but am planning to move to harnesses and guide bar next season for DE and member track days. I realize I may have to swap out my seats too. Still running the factory 3 pt belts now. I want to try to keep everything as reversible as possible in terms of installation so the car can be returned to stock. I also would like to keep the 3pt belts for street use even after installing the harnesses. Otherwise, my wife will never ride with me again.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put 6pt in. It gives you one more attachment point at the crotch. You got 2 at the shoulders, 2 at the waist, 2 at the bottom is theoretically safer. You will have to change seats for any harnesses to work better than stock 3 pt belts. The belts themselves do not have to come out. You can latch them behind your race seats and leave them in place. This is a very good idea. Harnesses allow you to get a Hans. Some H&Ns don't require it. Blah Blah Blah. Take your pick but, get one.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For me it's easy. The sub-strap is to prevent you from sliding down...I'd hate for the family jewels to be the corresponding body part that fulfills that function...
Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

5 point comes straight up the middle, my 6 point go through eyes in the lap belt that pull them to the side so the jewels aren't in as much danger of absorbing impact.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:02 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

+1 on saving the family jewels.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Just sit in a car that has a 5pt and a 6pt and you will know immediately which one to go with. Let's just say, that permanent wedgie feeling on your family jewels is not very comfy
Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, Tom Gideon of GM Racing Division a couple of years back now commented on NOT using 5 points in any new applications, 6 or 7 points were preferred.

As for protecting the 'jewels', I would suggest the Schroth Hybrid II belts.....very comfortable down below.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You should also strongly consider a roll bar instead of the harness bar. I know some of the harness bar manufacturers publish how strong they are but they are just not as good as a rollbar and/or cage with proper harnesses. As an instructor, I will not wear harnesses with only a harness bar. I know you want your car to remain stock but it is something to think about. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Just sit in a car that has a 5pt and a 6pt and you will know immediately which one to go with. Let's just say, that permanent wedgie feeling on your family jewels is not very comfy
Well...

Not unless it is "improperly installed," because a single sub mounts FORWARD of you, not behind. A correct 5-point setup is MORE comfortable in a static state. Certainly if you hit something and slide under the lap belt far enough, your scenario comes into clear focus!

A properly arranged 5-point will give you 90-95% of the performance of a properly installed 6-point, even the most effective "T-bar" type, or the Schroth Hybrid style. It is only in the last 5-10% of your surviveability (or maybe even less) where the performance advantages of a hip controlling 6 point cradle style system really is "necessary."

Do you stand to have a 90-95th percentile accident? Probably not. In all but the most extreme cases, the well setup 5-point will do the job. They are also much easier to setup properly than a 6-point of any style.

Everyone has to make their own informed decision and risk analysis beyond this point. Next question?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The decision is made even more easy by the fact that most available harness sets from quality manufacturers are 6pt. Buy one, use it, done!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

LOL. yes indeed, the 5 pt crushes your *****.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:06 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
yes indeed, the 5 pt crushes your *****.
Well, that's certainly something to consider...
Old 09-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Steve Watkins
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come sit in mine and see if you like the fit. Schroth 6pt and my nuts feel fine.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Well...

Not unless it is "improperly installed," because a single sub mounts FORWARD of you, not behind. A correct 5-point setup is MORE comfortable in a static state.
I retract my statement then. It should read as follows:

6pt if you actually venture out on the track
5pt if you like to sit in your car in the paddock in a static position
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Watkins
Come sit in mine and see if you like the fit. Schroth 6pt and my nuts feel fine.
You shouldn't be feeling em....or at least not admitting to it on the world wide web.

Quick Reply: 5 pt or 6 pt harness for DE?