Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 pt or 6 pt harness for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 AM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 5pt installed but with the new rules i need to get new harness as they are older than 5YO...does the 6pt just attach to the 5pt anchor? or does it use 2 diff mount points?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

2 different mounting points.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:29 AM
boze_man
Pro

Originally Posted by paradisenb
2 different mounting points.

thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 10:43 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The answer to the question will be self-evident just by going for a ride in a car with 5-pts.

6-pts FTMFW!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:34 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I'd only use a six-point, and after witnessing an SRF accident in which the driver got to go to the hospital for emergancy surgery to repair his ******* and other damaged parts that were injured by the sub belt (5-point), I wear a cup too. It might not be as comfortable, but I bet that surgery wasn't too comfortable either. Fortunately the young man (he was like 17 at the time) was expected to make a full recovery!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Watkins
Come sit in mine and see if you like the fit. Schroth 6pt....
Thanks for the offer, I'll check it out. I didn't realize yours was a 6pt.

Hearing the potential down side to 5pt has pretty much convinced me...
Old 09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK Dell...

Be that way.

Alright, nitty gritty. If a single sub is configured properly, it does not touch your body! A properly setup double sub DOES. In that sense, it is "less comfortable," whether sitting still or going around the track. Then, this level of comfort varies depending on the style and configuration. However, if you crash and hit the sub, it is rather obvious which is less... um... injurious.

Like I said, you need to make an informed decision beyond what I offered previously. There are two main factors at work here, in my estimation.

1) Are you likely to have an accident? The average DE driver is NOT likely to crash, ever. As I mentioned before, the advantage of a good 6-point is moot if you don't crash. Beyond that statement of fact comes your personal judgement and risk assessment.

2) All belt systems require mods to the car to get the sub in. It is VERY easy to say "go get a 6-point, end of story." However, to do a PROPER geometric install for a 6-point system is NOT EASY. It is very difficult to even find a seat that accepts them, and beyond that you have to have TWO mount points, in the RIGHT PLACE, in order to retrieve the advantage the 6-point offers.

You need to make a judgement of your level of risk, factor in how much you want to modify your car and seat to get the 6-point to work properly, and then if you even have anyone who knows how to properly configure a 6-point. Remember that if you do not set it up properly, the 6 point offers no advantage... other than Kiddie Klearance, IF you hit something.

For the record, I used to run a Simpson 5-point. It was utterly comfortable and performed perfectly. I now have a Schroth Hybrid 3/2. It performs better only in terms of lap belt positioning because of the sub slide adjusters. I have the Schroth to set a good example, to show clients, and because I admittedly like the trick factor. I also understand the advantages, and can reap the potential benefit of them because I know how to configure them.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boze_man
i have a 5pt installed but with the new rules i need to get new harness as they are older than 5YO...does the 6pt just attach to the 5pt anchor? or does it use 2 diff mount points?
I would suggest reading this document:
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf
Old 09-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Our safety chair, John Melvin, will tell you that five point harnesses do not work. He suggests that drivers only use a properly installed six point, with the sub straps mounted behind you, perhaps to the same mounts as the lap belt. For those of you not familiar with him, google John Melvin Safety.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Patrick
Our safety chair, John Melvin, will tell you that five point harnesses do not work....
Five points work. They just don't work as well as 6/7 points.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:13 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

With all due respect, Patrick...

I don't think the highly estimable Dr. Melvin would mean that as litteraly as it appears in your post, even if he said it thusly. In relative terms, and if both are available, and if you can get a 6-point configured properly, then it IS INDEED a better choice. No brainer. The only problem is getting there.

I would wager that AT LEAST 50% of the 6-point systems out there are not optimally arranged. I would also say that anyone who thinks it was "easy " to install their belts did it wrong!

There is nothing easy about doing it right, and further, there a lot of "ifs" in saying a 6-point is better. I'd rather see someone have a good 5-point than a poor 6 any day.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder what Milka Duno uses?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:27 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

I am also considering adding a harness for DE only use. I understand how the 5-point works, but I'm a little confused on how the 6-point actually works. Does it go through a substrap hole like the 5-point, or does it run out the sides?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

I say don't do 4/5/6 points without a roll bar/cage.

6 pts are more comfortable and provide quicker loading of the hips in an accident(which is a good thing). I'll be at the DE this weekend if you want to try my setup(6 pt Schroths), black 330Ci in white.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:55 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been holding off on installing my 6 points in my 944 because of how hard it is to properly mount them. I must say John is like the little angel/devil on my shoulder as I try to plan the configuration. In the 944 there just isn't any hard point to mount the sub belts to other than just drilling and using a backing plate.

I really don't want to drill holes, and going to the lap belt mounts is less than ideal, though many say to set it up that way. Certainly not something I want to take a chance and get wrong.

I do feel a bit safer with one of his harness bars... it's just that it is far easier to install that thing than it is to actually figure out the harness placement. That's a job for the off season.

Quick Reply: 5 pt or 6 pt harness for DE?