Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 pt or 6 pt harness for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps crashing with a 5 point harness might be enjoyable if one didn't have family jewels. All the coments seem to be towards the male species.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 PM
airiscool
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow this is a superb thred that I have stumbled upon!

First I should add my $0.02, and that is the only harness that should be worn, with the appropriate seat, is a 6 point with 2" lap belts.

Now back to the heated debate over roll bars and cages in street driven 911s.

Has anyone noticed that PORSCHE finds it acceptable to supply roll bars for 996 and 997 coupes? One would assume that Porsche is expecting these to be used with one-piece shell seats a la GT3, however they make no mention of the need to fit a multi-point harness system in conjunction with the roll bar, nor do they supply or even suggest the use of padding on the exposed tubes inside the cabin.

Coming from the world's leading performance automotive company with a massive exposure to potential law suits from wealthy owners, this willingness to supply roll bars to street driven cars hints at something. Let's not suggest profit on the parts as their motivation because there are plenty of other safer ways for them to line their pocket's and if it was all about profit they would package the roll bar with padding and harnesses for even more profit!

Anyone care to comment? This topic is of particular interest to me because I am debating adding a rollbar to compliment my 996 GT3 thrones and I [I]can[I] forsee situations in which my car could be a roll-over victim
Old 01-24-2008, 08:05 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spare tire
Perhaps crashing with a 5 point harness might be enjoyable if one didn't have family jewels. All the coments seem to be towards the male species.
An impact to the groin is no fun for either sex. However, we males do have a distinct dissadvantage in this regard.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:17 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by airiscool
Fellow this is a superb thred that I have stumbled upon!

First I should add my $0.02, and that is the only harness that should be worn, with the appropriate seat, is a 6 point with 2" lap belts.

Now back to the heated debate over roll bars and cages in street driven 911s.

Has anyone noticed that PORSCHE finds it acceptable to supply roll bars for 996 and 997 coupes? One would assume that Porsche is expecting these to be used with one-piece shell seats a la GT3, however they make no mention of the need to fit a multi-point harness system in conjunction with the roll bar, nor do they supply or even suggest the use of padding on the exposed tubes inside the cabin.

Coming from the world's leading performance automotive company with a massive exposure to potential law suits from wealthy owners, this willingness to supply roll bars to street driven cars hints at something. Let's not suggest profit on the parts as their motivation because there are plenty of other safer ways for them to line their pocket's and if it was all about profit they would package the roll bar with padding and harnesses for even more profit!

Anyone care to comment? This topic is of particular interest to me because I am debating adding a rollbar to compliment my 996 GT3 thrones and I [I]can[I] forsee situations in which my car could be a roll-over victim
Hey;

Porsche may have indeed made a calculation on this matter, or they may not. Either way, don't make the mistake of thinking that Porsche is omnipotent. They have proven quite fallable at certain times over the years.

The point of mentioning the potential danger of tubing inside a street car was not made to tell people they are fools to do it under any circumstance. It was to make them THINK about it first. There are very few times in the car game where you can focus on the objective alone, and not end up creating more problems than you solved, in areas you never envisioned. There are always a million ways to do something. Then there are better ways. Then there are the BEST ways.

The best ways are rarely the easiest or most expedient, which is what trips most people up. Beyond that, they are quite often counterintuitive. If you do not spend at LEAST as much time studying every possible effect of your proposals on every other aspect that they may act upon, you stand to improve one thing while creating three other headaches.

The synergy of Yin & Yang is most helpful.

Quick Reply: 5 pt or 6 pt harness for DE?