Where are all the Alonso detractors

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Easy fix = pick the qualifying order out of a hat on Sunday morning.

AND - just like in Top Gun, no points for second place.

Really mess with the teams by awarding points for 4th - 12th place, nothing for 2nd or 3rd.

Well i did my pick over a week ago and it was
1. massa
2. alonso
3. Hamilton

After Q3 i was even more confident as i knew hamilton would beat KIMI to the first corner and they would finish in that order , of course alonso wanted to win the race on the first corner and blew the order .

he did make a great move on massa by staying along side and keeping him tight to the inside line ,he blew it by giving him room too early , so he could still
get a good angle on the turn , at this stage he woould have to hope massa was going to lift , not a chance after the flak he got a couple races ago, massa was away and both where lucky ......

I disagree , it was not a boring race , if they had not botched Hiedfields pit stop it would have been even more interesting......as he would have been third ...or at least fighting with Alonso for 3rd.

Last edited by A.Wayne; 05-14-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default MCCLAREN BACKS ALONSO'S FIRST CORNER MOVE

McLaren back Alonso's first corner move

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, May 13th 2007, 17:06 GMT

McLaren are adamant that Fernando Alonso did the right thing in going wheel-to-wheel with Felipe Massa at the first corner of the Spanish Grand Prix - even though a subsequent minor collision pitched him off the track.

Alonso tried to dive around the outside of his Ferrari rival at Turn One but, despite getting alongside the Brazilian, the pair touched wheels and Alonso was forced wide across the gravel.

That dropped the world champion down to fourth and caused minor damage to the aerodynamics of his car. That left him unable to mount a serious challenge on eventual winner Massa and new world championship leader Lewis Hamilton.

Despite that misfortune, McLaren's F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh said that Alonso was correct in trying to wrest the lead from Massa in such style.

"With hindsight it would have been better not to have put himself in that position, but I think it was absolutely the right thing to do," said Whitmarsh. "You have to attack and you have to make sure you get track position and win.

"He really got into a good position there. I think Massa was robust, but that is what people want to come and see. If he hadn't have attacked the first corner then we would have thought he wasn't trying hard enough.

"I think every overtaking move entails a degree of risk, but I think he did absolutely the right thing – although it didn't quite come off that time. On another occasion he would have bumped himself forward and it would have been the fantastic start that we would all have been talking about now."
Old 05-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, you are really drinking the Alonso kool-aid. His first move to try and get past Masa was good. However, Masa pulled ahead and Alonso chose to push a bad position. He's lucky he didn't take both cars out with that bone head move.

He can really only credit a podium finish in this race to the Ferrari DNF. Before Kimi's car failed he couldn't stick his pass attempt on the Finn. We'll never know Kimi's fuel load, but I'd bet he was a lot heavier on fuel than the Alonso.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I just can't get over Kimi's bad luck! It's as if he made a deal with the devil to be the best driver ever and after he signed the devil figured, "well he never said he had to win! (or even finish)!!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:39 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Wow, you are really drinking the Alonso kool-aid. His first move to try and get past Masa was good. However, Masa pulled ahead and Alonso chose to push a bad position. He's lucky he didn't take both cars out with that bone head move.

He can really only credit a podium finish in this race to the Ferrari DNF. Before Kimi's car failed he couldn't stick his pass attempt on the Finn. We'll never know Kimi's fuel load, but I'd bet he was a lot heavier on fuel than the Alonso.
I guess martin whitmarsh had some too...
i WOULD OFFER SOME OF MY COMPREHENSION KOOL-AID RAY ,
I did say he had a sudden rush of **** to the brain in trying to pull the move off and he did credit kimi failure for the podium , looking where the light shines and not reading the facts my friend

It was a briliant start and his original move to push massa towards the inside line with a bad angle for the corner , was brilliant ,he blew it by turning out too early , now giving massa , a better angle to take the turn , he should have conceded the corner , but was too committed and had hoped massa would back out , they both where lucky ....
attempt to pass and your an **** , do not attempt to pass and you are an **** in a boring race , cannot win with you guys...
Please read previous posts before commenting
Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
I just can't get over Kimi's bad luck! It's as if he made a deal with the devil to be the best driver ever and after he signed the devil figured, "well he never said he had to win! (or even finish)!!
I had stopped calling it bad luck along time ago , last weekend most likely was bad luck , but kimi has had too many failures vs teammates to keep calling it bad luck..
Been around race cars a long time , an alternator failure that was not , ferrari need t owork on their press releases , they should have a word with Pole..

Finn Is tanqueray OK for your buds , The Finnlanda is looking distant right about now sunshine ...
Old 05-14-2007, 12:50 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,926 Posts

It seems the status quo is evident. Ferrari and McLaren are still neck and neck. If a Ferrari makes it to the first corner, they're gone from the field running in clean air.

If a Ferrari is behind any car, they can't get close enough to pass because of dirty air.

The McLaren's are better when the tires are cooler than they're optimal temps as evidenced by Alonso putting pressure on Kimi after his stint in the kitty litter. Once the tires are up to temps, Kimi started to pull away before the electrical problem.

I know the Finn is upset about Kimi, but I thought it was an eventful race, especially in the pits.

BMW still impresses.

Watch out for the old man Coulthard. In Bahrain he was 6th before a mechanical problem took him out of the race. And yesterday, he ran at great race with points paid. It seems the Ferrari engine, Adrian Newey aero and now the seemless gearbox are making a difference. It's good to see DC in the points again.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kimi was pretty heavy, whether that would've been enough to pass Hamilton we'll never know. I of course think that would've been enough (since he was able to stay close to him) and Wayne thinks not

Unfortunately, Kimi again "was too hard to his equipment", as Wayne suggest, and broke the electrical cable going to the alternator.

I think it was good that Alonso tried to pass Massa (and failed kinda like Massa did couple of races ago), him blaming Massa being dangerous or whatever was as whiny as it always is from him but IMO him coming back to the track and going across was way more dangerous, almost took out Kimi (and himself) + if that had happened, bunch of other cars too. He should stop whining already.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:55 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Kimi was pretty heavy, whether that would've been enough to pass Hamilton we'll never know. I of course think that would've been enough (since he was able to stay close to him) and Wayne thinks not

Unfortunately, Kimi again "was too hard to his equipment", as Wayne suggest, and broke the electrical cable going to the alternator.

I think it was good that Alonso tried to pass Massa (and failed as misurabely as Massa did couple of races ago), him blaming Massa being dangerous or whatever was as whiny as it always is from him but IMO him coming back to the track and going across was way more dangerous, almost took out Kimi (and himself) + if that had happened, bunch of other cars too. He should stop whining already.
LOL , Finn i never said the DNF was Kimi's fault , i said he has too many Vs teammates in the past and that was sure as hell no alternator failure yesterday as stated by ferrari ...

Last edited by A.Wayne; 05-14-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The very idea of Kimi as the best ever is enough to make me wet myself from laughing so hard. I'm not saying he's not good, but he's FAR from the best ever.

I find it rather amusing that it's the underlings who are shining this season. Nothing would make me enjoy this season more than for the championship come down to Massa and Hamilton.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

BTW, is anything happening with that movable wing on the front of the mac?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:06 PM
gieseja
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Watch out for the old man Coulthard. In Bahrain he was 6th before a mechanical problem took him out of the race. And yesterday, he ran at great race with points paid. It seems the Ferrari engine, Adrian Newey aero and now the seemless gearbox are making a difference. It's good to see DC in the points again.
Actually they have renault's engine. The ferrari deal went to toro rosso.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:08 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Big MAc get's wing approval

McLaren front wing given all-clear

By Jonathan Noble Monday, May 14th 2007, 08:30 GMT

McLaren's radical new 'bridge' front wing has been given a fresh all-clear by the FIA, autosport.com has learned, following concerns from some rival teams in Spain that it could be flexing at high speed.

On-board video footage from Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton's cars showed the front wing moving down on the straights when exposed to the forces experienced at high speed.

That movement led to questions from some of McLaren's rivals about the wing being a moveable aerodynamic device.

In the wake of those worries, however, it is understood that the FIA's technical department examined the wing's flexibility and its behaviour prior to the race and found there to be no issues with its design at all.

An FIA spokesman confirmed to autosport.com: "The matter has been investigated and no action is required."

McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh said his team never had any doubts that the wing was fully legal, and played down any movement that was visible from the on-board footage.

"Anyone who went out on the circuit or watched the slow speed photography saw the wing was very stable, and frankly we didn't think it was ever an issue," said Whitmarsh.

"It hasn't to my knowledge been mentioned to us at all. It is a very slender section, so it might be prone to movement. And perhaps others could be taking advantage of that, but there is no doubt that whoever watches it, knows it is legal."

McLaren's main championship rivals Ferrari also made it clear that they were not worried about the movement of the wing - despite themselves having been accused in the past of running flexi-wings.

Ferrari technical director Mario Almondo said: "At the moment, we think we do not have anything against McLaren. Full stop."
Old 05-14-2007, 03:09 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,926 Posts

My bad, Red Bulls have the Renault engines, Toro Rosso's the F-cars engine.

Regarding the wing, it sure looked to me like it was flexing under load. Either someone complains further or everyone is going to develop one for their cars.

As good of a talent Alonso is, he does whine a lot. If you listen to the post race interviews yesterday, Massa was still talking about what happened to him in the 2nd race of the season which was 5 weeks ago. Clearly he's still reeling from all the critics comments about what happened with him and Hamilton. He was not about to lift and concede the corner to Alonso at any cost. At this point, his mentality is "it's better to be taken out then suffer what happened in Malyasia.

In the same conference, Alonso said he fell back 3 spots. That's wishful thinking. He's assuming he had 1st position. The corner was still up for grabs IMO.

Alonso whines when he's under pressure. In '05 he had a clear and easy road to the championship during the 1 tire rule year (no whine necessary). In '06 he had a comfortable start again and when Ferrari started to get their act together, he started to whine and lash out at his team claiming that they were not developing the car enough. In '07 I think he's under pressure again, but not from Ferrari, but rather Hamilton who looks better and better each week.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL , Finn i never said the DNF was Kimi's fault , i said he has too many Vs teammates in the past and that was sure as hell no alternator failure yesterday as stated by ferrari ...
As I said, he had a problem in the wiring that goes to the alternator.

Quick Reply: Where are all the Alonso detractors