Sponsored by:

Lets Play 'What Makes the Ideal Track Car'

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Doubtful. I have run against enough Elises, and a good 993 will walk away from them, at least on a track with any kind of straight. Matter of fact, that is just what my son Mike bought, a 96 993 with 60K for $28,000. It had a package with stiffer springs and Bilsteins. We just put in a roll bar, seats, belts, steering wheel, brake pads, track alignment and prep work for less than $4,000. That's a good value, and the car is very streetable.
I used to agree with you, but my gut tells me that a 2000-lb mid-engine car with the same power-to-weight as my 993 should spank me. Although I've been faster than the couple Elises I've been on the track with (I figured it was just the drivers. Who knows.)
Old 02-28-2007, 07:25 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too had the pleasure of having lunch with Boston. Super nice guy who is definitly bitten by the track bug.

I stand by what I told him. Use the Cayman this year and figure out if he really loves the tarck after a full season of seasoning.

Assuming he is still enthusiatic at the end of the year, go for a dedicated track car tht has no electronic gizmos, ABS, or other sensory depriving devices. I told him a 911SC or Carrera is the ideal DE car that can be Club Raced in the future, should he be so inclined. I also told him to buy a car that was already "converted", as you never get your money back if you do it yourself.

This platform wil give him 911 excitemnt that can beacome a club racer in a fun class (F or G) that has cheap enough consumables and big fun factor. If he decides not to race, its still agreat car thats a boat load of fun.

I stand by my advice to Boston.

JL
Old 02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree that in Boston's case, the Cayman S is probably perfect. No trailer needed. Very capable little car that's also very forgiving.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Jack, I love yor car.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

For the $27K you will be lucky, if having the car built, to find a solid 911 SC and build it out to a G- Stock car (I know because I bought mine for $11K and have $30K into it.. at least). I just spent $5K on suspension/wheel bearings/ball joints/etc. for my Turbo and I have nothing real fancy going on there.. Still have to get seats ($2K), roll cage ($1.5K), yada yada yada.. Oh, and I have $3.5K in wheels and tires on the way and that is just the track set. The labor to install all this will easily equal the initial cost (i'm doing it myself this time)..
Old 02-28-2007, 08:14 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the most fun I've ever had at a track was fighting with the same 5 spec miatas for 18 laps. $10K car, priceless fun. If you want to move on to racing (without having to tour the country), nothing else is going to come close to the field size of spec miata. It is the fun/dollar ratio champion in2007.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

There are other Porsche based robust platforms that can do PCA racing, such as the 944, or *gasp* a well-stripped 928. Consumables are moderatly priced depending on year, and they are very fun. The PCA classing sucks for the 928, but 944s have spec racing, which should in the end be cheaper.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Having raced, I am done with trucks and trailers for good. If you haven't got a tow vehicle and a trailer already, the cost of those two would nearly buy a good 996 GT3. There is also the question of where to store them. My neighborhood will not allow trailers to be parked in the driveway. YMMV.
Your comments are interesting. I am heading TOWARDS having a tow-only car so I can rest assured that I will be able to get home from Thunderhilld, BW, LS, and even WS to San Diego. I took my S2000 there just to get a taste of DE with a non-porsche, and even then I was concerned about getting home. One off at WS, and I was racing through thoughts of 250 mile tows, hotel stays, divorce, etc.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:41 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

OK..

Did anyone stop to think of the value of the good doctors Cayman S AFTER 36 events.. .

I think that after he has run all these events he should just strip the car, put on some Motons get a race allingnment, corner balance and a few other goodies and then start to have some real fun !!!

I mean really who would buy a CS that has been flogged to within an inch of its life?? No one, but assuming he has undergone a good maintenance program he will be able to take the car and give anyone short of some of the respected poeple on this list a run for their money..

The Cayman S, properly set up is a truly formidable track car.

Boston, if you don't like this senario I'll trade you my car for it...
Old 02-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Year 1 - Sell Cayman buy an SC or cheap Carerra and add seats, bar, racing pads and harnesses ($14k + $2k) drive to events and drive on the street between events
Year 2 - Add R compounds and suspension ($7k) you've already got the trailer so drive to close events and tow to far tracks (still drive a little on the street)
Year 3 - Complete race prep (cage, fiberglass bumpers, headers, etc.) forget the street - Let's go racing! ($10k +)
Later in year 3 - buy a new fun weekend car - 993TT or the like (divide and conquer - no compromise cars)
Old 02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

IMO, the answer to this question depends on experience/skill level:

Level 1 - for the new driver:
Buy a bone stock 964 in good working order.
Put in seats, 1/2 cage & harnesses
Get a track alignment & some PS2 ors similar street tire
Wear race golves, & shoes and get a really good helmet.

Levle 2 - For the intermediate driver
Moderate suspesnio upgrade. We're not talking racer stiif, but something in the 400/600 range. Sways too.
Get some decent R tires & wheels
Dont f with the engine
This is the "combo" car that many mid level people have.
Get a H&N device too (also can do that as a beginner IMO)

Level 3 - Forthe advanced driver
Full blow race suspension 800-1200# springs here. Best sways, MPSCs or Hoosier (no cheap Rs)
Upgrade to a full cage.
Get the fire suit if you haven't already

Level 4 - For the racer
Get the best car for the class

For Boston, track the Cayman in 2007. For 2008, get something more purposeful like a 964 (level 2 prep). Even better would be a 100hp 914, SWB 911 or even a 356, but with a level 2 suspension. Then drive that for a year or 2 and get a real race car with 200-300hp (level 3 above). You could jump right to level 4 here, but that will depend on what you want to do (you should want to race...it's more fun ).
Old 02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Then, i would move to a dedicated track 911, buying one that is already set-up and ready to drive....like one from the Factory maybe????
I totally agree!

One from Andial isn't bad, either.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smlporsche
OK..

Did anyone stop to think of the value of the good doctors Cayman S AFTER 36 events.. .

traded a 997s with 53 trackdays on it at a very fair price for its mileage (22k). the comments i got from several dealers who appraised the car that it was in excellant condition. all i did was get the car detailed before selling. go figure.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I totally agree!

One from Andial isn't bad, either.
Hey vinyl boy, all Andial had to do was unwrap it! But they aren't for everyone....some of you like a good street girl that has been passed around before you retire her!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why is everyone so hung up on the 911, I know it's the porsche flagship but I also know that for half the money he can have one hell of a setup on a 944. Sure it won't turn as many heads on the road, but this is about turning laps on a track. If it was me, I'd get a 951 do a complete suspension setup the first year, (what like 11k for a phenomenal suspension and car) then the next year use the money you save and put some love into the engine. This way you have a platform that is capable of increasing the hp dramatically as the driver gets better and better. Not to mention if it ever gets waded your only out 6k for the car. Just my .02 but I don't have money to play with...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Boston had already asked the same question a while ago and the result was the same. Keep the cayman for the first year or two and then re-evaluate your real needs. I love my RSA and hope to be able to drive it like it should, then evolve with it.

Enjoy your track season

Quick Reply: Lets Play 'What Makes the Ideal Track Car'