Sponsored by:

State Farm to exclude DE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by penguinking
i think we may start to see more wrecked cars on the road that "mysteriously" spun and crashed no joke though, i've heard of people doing this before and i'll bet that these instances are going to increase if coverage is completely dropped from the track.

I couldn't agree more. Hurts us all in the end

Andy

Last edited by AudiOn19s; 10-11-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"i think we may start to see more wrecked cars on the road that "mysteriously" spun and crashed no joke though, i've heard of people doing this before and i'll bet that these instances are going to increase if coverage is completely dropped from the track."

That is called insurance fraud and comes when people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
That is called insurance fraud and comes when people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.
Absolutely! If you can't afford to either properly insure or absorb the cost of wrecking then my advice is stay off the race track. While DE's are relatively safe it's still triple digit speeds and driving near the limit. Thinking a standard car insurance policy is going to cover you anymore is quite wishfull.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:59 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

Geoffrey said is perfectly.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
While DE's are relatively safe it's still triple digit speeds and driving near the limit. Thinking a standard car insurance policy is going to cover you anymore is quite wishfull.
And despite what some may think, DEs still have a much higher incident rate than street driving. My back of the envelope math has always bee that there is a 1-2% incident rate at DEs (vs. the 4% in club racing...a number that is published btw). Can you imagine if we all had incidents on the road every 6 months?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
"i think we may start to see more wrecked cars on the road that "mysteriously" spun and crashed no joke though, i've heard of people doing this before and i'll bet that these instances are going to increase if coverage is completely dropped from the track."

And, the person attempting to commit the FRAUD had better hope that they are unanimously loved by every person who attended the event where the incident took place, and further that there are no attendees who simply want to tell the truth when questioned. Insurance companies (and some States), are using Investigators more each day, particularly in claims with one car involved and no witnesses, while leaving the scene of the single car accident brings another level of scrutiny usually. Add to that the fact that there is a paper trail of each incident created at DE events (PCA required with reporting to National).
Old 10-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 38D

And despite what some may think, DEs still have a much higher incident rate than street driving. My back of the envelope math has always bee that there is a 1-2% incident rate at DEs (vs. the 4% in club racing...a number that is published btw). Can you imagine if we all had incidents on the road every 6 months?
Every 6 months?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think this will have a negative effect on people attending DEs, will we see less people attend as a result - although most people make assumptions and never check their policies until it's too late.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Do you think this will have a negative effect on people attending DEs, will we see less people attend as a result - although most people make assumptions and never check their policies until it's too late.
I don't think so in the short run, for the reason you sited. I think there are at least two areas to watch, those coming out for the instructed groups, and those in the upper run groups.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 38D

Not sure that the street rate vs. the track rate matters....but, the latest numbers published by the Insurance Research Council show that there are 4.13 accident claims per 100 insured vehicles annually (National average).
Old 10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things will probably happen as DE becomes more popular. 1) Insurance companies will include language to disqualify ANY track event damage. 2) Since so many people will want a seperate rider to cover the track, there will be enough demand to make a DE rider cost effective and then it will be offered.

Remember insurance companies want to insure you. They also want to make money doing it.

And I agree that insurance companies are becoming wise to the car that gets towed off the track property and then claimed. They will investigate the larger claims because it is cost effective to do so, and they will make an example of the first few to disuade any further attempts so be careful.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:08 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=mitch236 ... insurance companies are becoming wise to the car that gets towed off the track property and then claimed. [/QUOTE]

This is a very troublesome statement because it implies that this kind of fraud is going on. I have never heard of anyone even dreaming of being this dumb. Fraud is a serious matter.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
I have never heard of anyone even dreaming of being this dumb. Fraud is a serious matter.
Insurance adjusters in the area of Watkins Glen are well familiar with the WGI blue that coats the armco around the track. I'm told they see it in a surprising number of single vehicle incidents supposedly on public roads. Fraud is serious and there is a good chance of getting caught!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 AM
JayP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to think in the early days of DEs (mid-90's) we had a State Farm Agent at events passing out freebees.

I dropped SF after 20 years if coverage. I even was one of the 'no-drop' clients. Car and home insurance was insane and the new agent was an ***... we went to Farmers.

Since then I've bought a track-mostly, street-legal 944 with liability only coverage. If I wad it, then I take a cab home. Wife may insist I take to cab to a hotel though.

If insurance companys were smart and paying attention to the last 10 years or so, they would have seen the need to insure these Z/WRX/EVO/S2000/M3/S4/911/unameits for the 4 or 5 times they hit the track. Weekend coverage for what? $100 per day? Is that worth you're $45k BMW? Is that worth avoiding fraud/fines/jail?

Jack up the premiums to be inline with the risks. All it would take is a guy eating a WRX for everyone in that region to see the benefits.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:37 PM
softright
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that this thread has focused on material loss only. So you decide you can write off your "track" car and carry no insurance since you trailer it to the track. Then someone gets killed or seriously injured in a "write-off" situation. What happens then - does everyone get sued for everything they own? If they won’t pay for a car involved in a track incident, they certainly won’t pay for incident liability.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Property damage or bodily injury, once my State Farm coverage ends on May 10, 2007, I will have no insurance for these losses, BUT the PCA waiver should protect me from liability to third parties (and third parties from my claims). Every driver for himself, in effect, standing on his own bottom responsible for his own losses with his own assets.

Quick Reply: State Farm to exclude DE!