Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State Farm to exclude DE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:26 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following the links I'm thinking that the $5K minimum deductible explains that!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:36 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have laurel DE insurance when I tracked the 996. I don't insure the 944. I had no problems with Laurel. Of course, I didn't have to make a claim. I personally know people who did make claims with Laurel and they were satisified with the payout.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:50 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had Laurel DE ins. for the last three years and hope I don't have to use them, but glad they are there if I do. I have also heard of drivers who have had their claims paid.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 PM
tgarnoldo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just heard Liberty Mutual, who had covered me, actually stopped in May 06! So Iguess I was self insured in my new Cayman S at several really fun events this year!
Sue
06 Cayman S
97 993
Old 11-14-2006, 10:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Laurel DE insureds

[QUOTE=auto-xr]After searching some of them main Porsche forums, I only found one guy who claims to have Laurel DE insurance.
Lots more than 1; I have Laurel and so do a number of my track friends, including one nowsettling a claim on his GT3.
No complaints here (also no claim to file, and I'd like to keep it that way!).
Old 11-15-2006, 08:53 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Thanks to everyone who repsonded. I may soon sign up with Laurel DE.

BTW, here are the verified Luarel DE insurance numbers that I was quoted.

10 track days $944
20 track days $ 1120
30 track days $1300

6000 deductible and 40K of coverage. The track days must be used within 1 year.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:15 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does Laurel have coverage in all states? Seems that everyone I have looked at doesn't include South Carolina.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DanS911
WOW check this out.

They just sent me the above in the policy for next year.
I also just added a vehicle and buried about 10 pages deep under

AUTOMOBILE AMENDATORY ENDORSEMENT

IV. PART D-COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR AUTO

E. Exclusion 13, is replaced by the following:

13. Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto while the car is being used for:

a. competing in; or

b. practicing or preparing for

any organized racing, speed, demolition, stunt or performance contest or related activity whether or not for pay.

Hummm... I don't think I like the "related activity" part
Do we still think this is bad language for a DE event? I also have Liberty Mutual. I would argue that a DE event does not include "competing in" or "practicing or preparing for" anything. You could argue that a DE is a speed event, but not a speed contest. You could also argue that "related activity" might catch a lot of things, but the way I read this you would need to be "competing in" or "practicing or preparing for" the related activity. Again, a DE is not competing in or practicing or preparing for anything.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, a DE is not competing in or practicing or preparing for anything
Lets be honest here, a DE is used for developing better car control skills which means that you will be practicing driving the car at the limits of either your skill and/or the car's capability. It is done on a closed course race track and a DE simulates a racing environment EXCEPT for the competition aspect. When was the last time someone showed you "the line" on the street for a given corner.

To expect an insurance carrier to pay for an accident you have while at the track is crazy. I don't believe any insurance company has built that risk into their premium. The risks of damage, and more extensive damage due to the faster speeds is much greater. Where in this country are you legally allowed to travel faster than about 75mph, and we regularly exceed that by a wide margin on the track.

Personally, I'd like to see all insurance companies exclude all track driving events from my regular insurance policy and hope my rates go lower.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:06 PM
gobble
Racer

We all know what a DE is. I've been doing them for 15 years. An insurance company should cover anything their policy includes and if there is no exclusion for a driving school I would expect to be covered. If DE's were specifically excluded and everyone needed to buy a policy that cost 3% of the value of their car the attendence would go way down. Do you really think if Joe 60 year old man buys a Porsche for the first time and takes it to a DE to learn how to drive it his insurance should not cover him? Regardless, I asked more of a legal question and not for a right or wrong opinion.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Personally, I'd like to see all insurance companies exclude all track driving events from my regular insurance policy and hope my rates go lower.
Hi Geoff
Not to be a wise guy, but I'd wager that reduction would be about 10 cents on your premium. Which is not to say that auto insurance should or should not cover us on the track.
I do really object to how poorly the insurance industry in general understands DE; they can't seem to get past the NASCAR image.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:33 PM
roach13
Instructor

I think what you might find is your auto insurance will cover you once, then you'd get canceled moved to the highest risk group and pay thru the nose to get covered again. I have a track policy that only covers DE's.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Geoff
Not to be a wise guy, but I'd wager that reduction would be about 10 cents on your premium. Which is not to say that auto insurance should or should not cover us on the track.
I do really object to how poorly the insurance industry in general understands DE; they can't seem to get past the NASCAR image.
get past the NASCAR image??? hell, they named a series after an isurance company! I'd try Nationwide Insurance for track coverage, if they can promote racing, why shouldn't they cover a DE?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 PM
gobble
Racer

Originally Posted by roach13
I think what you might find is your auto insurance will cover you once, then you'd get canceled moved to the highest risk group and pay thru the nose to get covered again. I have a track policy that only covers DE's.
I can live with that.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jmorris3
get past the NASCAR image??? hell, they named a series after an isurance company! I'd try Nationwide Insurance for track coverage, if they can promote racing, why shouldn't they cover a DE?
Shows how much I pay attention to the NASCAR Nationwide Insurance race series.

Quick Reply: State Farm to exclude DE!