Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSR 3.1: my humble video offering

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:08 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then who's car does Mark drive? I see him getting ready to go out on the track (next to where you keep your car) but I'm usually getting ready myself, so I never get to see him strap in.

BTW, thanks for verifying my theory. BB is the critical turn on that track.

G.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:53 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

I don't think Mark has been to a PCA DE in a long time. The Ruf guys do have memberships there, so I guess they go whenever they want. I know he has driven Jeff Moore's white Cup car, but outside of that and any of the Ruf cars, I really have no idea. I've only been on track with him at the same time twice. Sure is fast!

Geoff.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I ran into Mark early this year at a PCA event there. I know him from Grand Am racing. He was there for one day, helping sort out a customer's new GT3 Cup, as I recall.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:41 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I remember him being out there to help Jeff. I use to see him there a lot, maybe it was just member days. You know Raffe (sp?) has a red GT3 and maybe I've got the two cars mixed up and thinking they were one and the same since you do park by them.

G.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

No sweat. Anyway, thank you both for the kind comments on the other thread. George, I watched your video with John, and that was great! What tires were you on? It sure seemed like you both had tons of grip. After watching that, I can definitely see where I'm overbraking into BB. Have anymore good vids?

Geoff.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Whenever we do the advanced group get together I will share exactly how to get the max at corners like BB and other tracks similar high speed corners. The tendency is always to overslow the car, then You are trying to clean up Your mistake by getting back to power early. Obviously in the high speed stuff is where You give up the most time....
Old 09-21-2006, 09:23 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I find myself on full throttle pretty quickly after turn in at BB, before the apex cone. Does that suggest I am over braking? I usually downshift to 3rd during braking so I can accelerate quicker out of BB. Do others stay in 4th and try to carry more speed into and then through the corner? I feel like I give up too much acceleration onto the straight doing 4th all the way through.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:02 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Geoff, I'll send you a link to all my files in the morning. I'm kind of mad that I put the camera into some strobe mode at the last club race, I had some great fights. I was on Hoosier's but I'm moving back MPSC's after I run out of my current supply of Hoosiers (I've got three sets left). BTW, I even more impressed if you didn't get as much advice/help as I thought.

David, you know I find myself asking the same question. It so depends on the tires (height), how the car feels, track conditions, etc. I think the fastest way is to keep it in fourth, it keeps you from over slowing down (Glen's comment, that's one of the things he's taught me). It does feel more comfortable going down to third, I do it when "I/the car/the track" don't feel just right. If you take it correctly, you get plenty of acceleration out of there. The loud sound of the engine can be deceiving. Look at your tach at the end of the straight to really find out which one is faster.

G.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes overslowing for sure in BB.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Yes overslowing for sure in BB.
Looks like I have much to work on. I will try staying in 4th and see how it goes and compare to using 3rd. I had been checking my tach at the track out cone, but I realize that is meaningless to determine the difference between using 3rd or 4th. I will try to start checking at the end of the straight where it makes more sense.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:32 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Wow, that track make me dizzy. I can't comment on your line, as I do not know that track, but it seems like you have a lot of steering input and are fighting some understeer. I also notice that you need to maintain that steering input right up to track out, which reinforces my premise. Hope that helps a little.
+1,
but you don't seem to be affraid of it so keep working on it
Old 09-21-2006, 10:59 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

I carried 3rd into BB for a while before I realized it was slower. The extra torque made me feel more planted and comfortable but at least for me, it screwed up my entry in several ways:

1) Braking too soon in order to execute a heel/toe shift in time
2) Braking too much because I am not as good at modulating the pedal during a heel/toe versus just braking (I still have this problem in Lil Bend)
3) Consistency - same as above, its a lot easier to be consistent when you are doing just one thing

4th is much quicker for me. I don't start braking until about the second cone and you really don't need to scrub off to much before turning in. There are some bumps on the track just prior to turn in and I can usually hear them as I am on the brakes, its an audible clue to get off the brakes and turn.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Come on Rob, you are the poster child for over braking. Are you actually giving David advise? I bet he spanked you on the track in a car that weighs 600~700lbs more than yours (with the same engine). That's like Jessica Simpson giving advise on taking the GMAT!!!!

G.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:50 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993inNC
+1,
but you don't seem to be affraid of it so keep working on it
Chris, I attribute David's understeer to the car being a C4S (4wd). Does your's handle the same way?

G.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:07 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Come on Rob, you are the poster child for over braking. Are you actually giving David advise? I bet he spanked you on the track in a car that weighs 600~700lbs more than yours (with the same engine). That's like Jessica Simpson giving advise on taking the GMAT!!!!

G.
Actually, my overbraking problem has improved greatly. You have seen me on the track 1 time since December of last year, so your information is a bit outdated.

David and I drove nearly identical times until his tires gave out, then I had 2 seconds on him. Yes we have the same engine, but his multi-link suspension and 4-wheel drive is a bit more advanced than my torsion bar set-up from 1983. We talked at the track I a believe there are some things he does better and some things I do better.

MSR is a handling track, not a hp track so if you think he drove well (as you seem to have indicated) then its time for you to wake up and realize I can hold my own out there.

Quick Reply: MSR 3.1: my humble video offering