Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSR 3.1: my humble video offering

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:28 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to take my car to Gladwell when I get a break so that he can do my alignment on their new fancy mirror rack. I talked to him the other day and he was pretty gitty about it.

Geoff, who does your alignments? I bet it’s just the torque on the eccentric.

G.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:38 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

I didn't realize Gladwill did alignments, I'll definitely ask him next time. I've had it done at Boardwalk, and also by Ruf. If interested further, I'll PM you. Yeah, hopefully just the torque. I've been assured they're "extra tight" now, so we'll see after the next one... It's tough only being able to drive about once every 6 weeks or so! I could spring for a membership, but I also just can't go every weekend to make it worth it (not to mention the increased cost of 'use items').

Geoff.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:45 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Well, he typically does not do them. I have to call him and work out a time when he can. It's really a mess on the 993, as it takes several iterations. I’m kind of real picky and he does an excellent job.

G.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:58 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Geoff, we were actually bragging about your driving on another post. You've climbed up the ranks fairly fast, great job. It's always refreshing to see someone really get it. I feel as if most are out there just to say they are out there.

G.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Thanks George, that's rather kind of you! Well, it is something I really enjoy, and my philosophy toward driving is that I'd rather spend the time learning how to improve my skills rather than throwing cash at the car in upgrades. Actually, I'm hoping to be invited to the instructor clinic in October, as I think that's the next area of growth for me.
So, where's the other thread that you mentioned?

Geoff.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by geoffucla
Thanks George, that's rather kind of you! Well, it is something I really enjoy, and my philosophy toward driving is that I'd rather spend the time learning how to improve my skills rather than throwing cash at the car in upgrades.

Geoff.

Yup, invest in the driver first, THEN the gear!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:33 AM
JayP
Pro

This thread has been interesting. Picked up some tips that'll help- so I can't get back to MSR fast enough to try it out.

Probably the biggest help for me will be to grow a pair and drive thru BigBend as fast as the car can go...
Old 09-21-2006, 11:37 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Geoff, it was in this forum, just go back a couple of days. It was about tracks in Dallas. BTW, I'll recommend you to Keith for the instructor clinic. I'm sure Dave will also.

Dave, we need to get Dough B. in there as well. I hope I can make it, but it's not looking too good right now. I might need a break for a while anyway, I'm kind of burned out.

G.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:45 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Jay,

Big Bend is where I think most give up too much time. If you don't hit it right, you don't have a fast lap. I recommend you go to the new area where the houses are being built and look at track from that point of view. You will notice that the exit of Big Bend is slightly up hill. You get some pretty good compression there and more stick than you think. It's one of those turns that I always think I'm at the limit until I get through it, then I know I could have gone a little faster. It should be a good tap on the brakes, not a hard braking area.

G.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I recommended Doug and another guy, Brian Cook (BMW club instructor) for the clinic. Right now, I am 50-50 being able to make it myself, but hope to!

Big Bend IMO all depends on your entry. Also, there is lots of usable positive camber for about ~15' of the apex curb. USE IT!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:06 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Interesting data points for you all. Last DE there was a guy (Tony) with a yellow GT3 in the Yellow group, and he had just bought a really cool GPS data acquisition device. Well, first run of Sunday, we threw it in my car to see what came out. Now, i was in the 2.28s that session, so I had picked up some significant time later in the day. Anyway, the device also records your exact speed, lateral G, and longitudinal G several times per second. Again, with only Cup tires, I recorded the second highest lateral G in the braking/turn in for toilet bowl at 1.4G, and the highest lateral G in the middle of big bend in the 1.5 - 1.55G range! How amazing is that??? Just thought you guys might be interested. Oh, and thanks for recommending me to Keith guys--

Geoff.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 PM
JayP
Pro

Originally Posted by George A
Jay,

Big Bend is where I think most give up too much time. If you don't hit it right, you don't have a fast lap. I recommend you go to the new area where the houses are being built and look at track from that point of view. You will notice that the exit of Big Bend is slightly up hill. You get some pretty good compression there and more stick than you think. It's one of those turns that I always think I'm at the limit until I get through it, then I know I could have gone a little faster. It should be a good tap on the brakes, not a hard braking area.
I realized (especially with this car) if I flake on Big Bend, I've lost all momentum. The car just doesn't have the torque to accelerate up the hill. I'd been downshifting early to get the car into the powerband as I go into BB and pull out in 3rd. I'll start forcing myself to keep it 4th, keep the speed up. We'll see how that goes. (I'm in a 944S- good for 180hp on it's good days.)
Old 09-21-2006, 12:43 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Okay, I read that thread. You guys are hilarious! The power of rumour! I am acquainted with Mark Plummer, but believe me, the only coaching I have recieved from him is to slow down my shifting after my telling him that I was getting a grind in 3rd in some sections. Mark is very nice, but I have not approached him for coaching (good idea though). Also (speaking of not spending $$ on upgrades), that was the first weekend that I had all for corners with MPSC. Previously, I had them only on the rear, and Pirelli's on the front. I use the Pirelli's on the street, and I still only have two rear wheels with the MPSCs (I am currently looking for a used set of front wheels to complete the whole set). The front MPSCs I am now using as street tires, and they were used when I got them.
Ruf has done my alignment, but that's it. I do change my sway bar settings depending on tire setup and how I feel. The exhausts I love. They're $7.50/side 90 degree pipes from Autozone. They are the same as the Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes, only $485 cheaper (and they look it too!). I make the change the night before, because I find that loosing that ~60 lbs off the rear does make a difference in feel.
Those are the only non-safety changes to my car. I do have the euro GT3 seat (which is too big for me, but works for daily driving), the Tequipment roll bar harness. I drive my car daily, and I love it!
Doug and I are about the same speed. I get him in the corners, and he keeps up on the straights. I'd say we run about the same lap time. Like I did say, though, during the afternoon of the second day, I picked up a lot of time, and big bend is where a lot of time still remains for me.
Oh, when I got home, I realized the brakes were sounding a bit louder than normal. Pulled off the front driver wheel, and the inside pad was about 2mm into the backing...Oops! The rotors were gone anyway, so no big loss--

Geoff.
Geoff.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:46 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Oh and, the Yellow GT3 with black wheels in the other thread is Tony, and he was running mid 2.30s--

Geoff.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:57 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Okay, one last thing: Mark has never driven my car. The only other person to ever drive it was Keith about 2 years ago when it was still pretty new. Anywho--

Geoff.

Quick Reply: MSR 3.1: my humble video offering