Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSR 3.1: my humble video offering

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:13 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, sure let me know, I am always anxious to get good input.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:59 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Rob, sure let me know, I am always anxious to get good input."

I ditto that; I'm always up for some coaching, and seeing as how we all have the same corners we want to improve on...

Geoff.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Glen is a great source, so is George, and they are both local up there, so they are a lot more available. If I am able to make the next PCA event next month (I am 50-50 right now), I will also gladly ride with any of your guys to help!!

As an aside, Michael Paton makes excellent points. He may be right about my technique of upshifting from 3rd to 4th after apexing BB in a GT3, as I have done it in Myron's, which rides on Motons with unknown spring rates. It is not stock. I have not tried it with a 100% stock GT3. However, with Myron's set-up, it really works well (at least for me) but is not for the faint of heart, as you can definitely feel the back end shift. But, as I said, that really helps my rotation w/o using steering lock, and I really get a super launch out of there.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

So when are we getting this group together?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:53 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Glen is a great source, so is George, and they are both local up there, so they are a lot more available. If I am able to make the next PCA event next month (I am 50-50 right now), I will also gladly ride with any of your guys to help!!

As an aside, Michael Paton makes excellent points. He may be right about my technique of upshifting from 3rd to 4th after apexing BB in a GT3, as I have done it in Myron's, which rides on Motons with unknown spring rates. It is not stock. I have not tried it with a 100% stock GT3. However, with Myron's set-up, it really works well (at least for me) but is not for the faint of heart, as you can definitely feel the back end shift. But, as I said, that really helps my rotation w/o using steering lock, and I really get a super launch out of there.

Just checked my calender, and I won't be able to come to the PCA DE. Have a work thing the entire weekend. Bummer.

Glen, do you think there is time to work something in this fall? Maybe sometime before Thanksgiving week? I don't know if you want to do something on a weekend, or during the week or what, but I'll do whatever you want.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Glen
Race Car

I say we rent the track during the week and do it on a weekday. I can make arrangements when You guys get me some date ranges. The key will be who You include and 10 participants or less would be the best so we can move forward quickly. This will be a very serious, very advanced session so the people who do it need to fit that profile or are headed there quickly.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:15 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Glen, assuming we do get 10 participants or less, do you have an idea of what the cost of renting the track on a weekday would be?

Geoff.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Glen
Race Car

It wont be bad, feel free to ring Kurt at MSR and ask. He will know exactly.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:42 PM
993RSCS
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glenn,

I would be interested if my car is back from Denver in time.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Paul!!!!!! Where have you been???? I take it I'll be seeing more of you soon?

Michael, I somewhat disagree with on the importance of entry speed to exit speed. I think you are talking about fine tunning while I'm thinking more of getting over the false limit we set for our selves on that corner. In my view, I'm talking 5 to 10 mph faster, rather than the 1 or 2 you describe. I think we leave that much on the table. To me, the whole goal is to have a faster entry and a faster exit in BB.

BTW, I also disagree on your use of data. For most at our level, segment times are the most important things to look at, the rest is meaningless and causes more harm than good. I've heard so many talk about the exact entry speed and exit speed of certain corners. I do all I can to keep from laughing because they get so focused on increasing that entry/exit speed by 1 or 2 mph and forget about the overall goal, fast lap times.

G.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:52 AM
mpaton
Instructor

Originally Posted by George A
Michael, I somewhat disagree with on the importance of entry speed to exit speed. I think you are talking about fine tunning while I'm thinking more of getting over the false limit we set for our selves on that corner. In my view, I'm talking 5 to 10 mph faster, rather than the 1 or 2 you describe. I think we leave that much on the table. To me, the whole goal is to have a faster entry and a faster exit in BB.
George, I am indeed talking about fine tuning, and my 1 and 2 mph is an example to answer David's question about how a faster entry coupled with a slower exit can be faster overall.

On 5 to 10mph faster, I'm not so sure, but I can keep an open mind. I believe our viewpoint tends to be affected by the cars we drive, and to some extent ride in. My car understeers a lot and it's not going to get better now until I get tires as well as fix whatever it is. So if you have an understeering car, you enter slower and find a way to make a later apex. LFB games don't tend to work in my car with PSM. If the understeer wasn't there in the car I know best, then I do expect to enter Big Bend 5mph faster.

Originally Posted by George A
BTW, I also disagree on your use of data. For most at our level, segment times are the most important things to look at, the rest is meaningless and causes more harm than good. I've heard so many talk about the exact entry speed and exit speed of certain corners. I do all I can to keep from laughing because they get so focused on increasing that entry/exit speed by 1 or 2 mph and forget about the overall goal, fast lap times.

G.
I think we're in agreement here George. Especially if you are a racer, lap times are what you want, although don't discount a slower lap which has you walking away from your rival where there are passing places, and being slower where they can't get past.

Anyway, my point was that if your only way to tell you're improving is by timing a whole lap, then to see any progress you may have made, you're going to have to be both incredibly consistent lap to lap, and incredibly lucky not to have another car at a DE impede you. So I just don't believe a lap timer is a useful tool to measure progress. To brag with, perhaps.

My data analysis is indeed segment times, and I get them from the data logger. When I compare a good segment with a poor one the speed difference may indeed be 2 mph all the way through Big Bend, and the segment time may be 0.28 seconds faster. But it all adds up. So we agree, right?

Michael
Old 09-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

I'd still be up for the advanced instruction day depending on if; 1.) I can afford it 2.)When? and 3.)Are non MSR members allowed?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Glen
Race Car

Ok guys/girls I am putting it together. Please PM me with interest. We will try to keep it between 5-10 and we will have a very very special Instructor. It will be in the 1st or 2nd week of Novemeber. It will be a dinner /review/get to know each other and the Instructor followed by a full day ontrack. I will need to thrash to get it all set up and am waiting on the firm date from Our special Instructor. It will definitely not be free but will be a no brainer when You consider what I am putting together for You as a driver. I will give more details as soon as I get the hard date, but it will likely be a weekday in the 1st or 2nd week of Nov. If it is well recieved we will do more.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Glen, if you make it the 2nd week of November, there is a chance I can make it, depending on the cost & the day (remember, I am 200+ miles away). I always like learning from those better than I am!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Glen
Race Car

Non members will be just fine btw.

Quick Reply: MSR 3.1: my humble video offering