Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSR 3.1: my humble video offering

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:50 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Prior to painting the curbs, I was really using the gator strips there, with good results. Then right after they painted the curbs (first session since fresh paint) I had a BIG moment as the new paint was like ice. I have been avoiding the strips a bit since. I guess now it has developed more grip, and that is not a problem. I will try the "rolling off the brakes as I roll on the gators" technique and try to get on the power earlier. I have felt I was leaving speed on the track at the exit of that corner, hopefully this technique will correct that.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

David, as George said earlier, your driving is really good. And yes, I could tell you were getting a lot of understeer from those tires. No worries! You are very smooth & you are not surprising the car--two very important things at that track. And, as he said, you are one of the few to actually take T6 correctly. Most folks want to turn in way too late there, and end up in marbles a the end of the brake zone approaching the turn. You did it right: brake a little earlier, and turn in early to come right across the widest part of the apex curb.

Rob (jakermc) makes an interesting point about T8. I think that turn works in different ways with different cars.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I will do a advanced instruction session down there sometime if You guys would like it. Just put together a group of 10 or so advanced drivers and we will make it happen.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:30 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Thank you guys, I appreciate the kind words, it is encouraging.

Dave, what do you drive? Hope I can meet you at the track some time.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:31 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glen
I will do a advanced instruction session down there sometime if You guys would like it. Just put together a group of 10 or so advanced drivers and we will make it happen.

Count me in if you think I am far enough along.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David 23
Thank you guys, I appreciate the kind words, it is encouraging.

Dave, what do you drive? Hope I can meet you at the track some time.

Usually, an older silver M3. George & friends often give it special license plates to bust my chops. And likewise!

Also, take Glen up on his offer. He currently holds the track record at MSR for closed wheel cars, IIRC.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
I'd be interested.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:36 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

Glen - I would take you up on that as well.

Sounds like there is finally a turn where no ABS is better! I use the rumble strips as my braking zone and trail brake into the left hander. It's my favorite turn on the new section, its really surprising how quick you can go there. I am still turning in a little early and need to use a little more patience however.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:10 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

I'd probably be interested in an advanced session too. I drive the red GT3 in the white run group. Last DE i got into the 2.26's with a passenger. Only upgrades are MPSC tires and RS-29 pads (oh yeah, and muffler removal). I usually brake a bit too much, but that's more for a safety margin in DEs instead of going all out as would be done in a sprint--

Geoff.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Geoff, you drive very well. It's smart to give yourself a safety margin in a DE. IIRC, the one place I do remember you braking a lot more than I expected, even considering the DE nature, was Big Bend. Of course, with your motor, you are able to zoom away once you get onto that long straight...but I wonder if you can't carry some more speed through there & get to Rattlesnake at an even faster speed? Just a thought via my semi-foggy recollection.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:06 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Yes, you are quite correct. Even into little bend I brake a bit much. It's something I'm working on. It also turned out that I had one wheel with toe out and one with toe in last time, so that's also why I didn't have a lot of confidence in the big sweepers!!

Geoff.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:06 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

I meant one rear wheel with toe out and the other rear with toe in (both front were fine)--

Geoff.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:11 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by geoffucla
I meant one rear wheel with toe out and the other rear with toe in (both front were fine)--

Geoff.
I bet that was fun to drive!!!! Mine had a similar setup for a day. I kept wondering why it turned better to the right than to the left.

G.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
I bet that was fun to drive!!!! Mine had a similar setup for a day. I kept wondering why it turned better to the right than to the left.

G.
George, considering where we live (the south) that condition is correctly known by it's NASCAR term as "wedge".

Or is it "stagger"? Or "track bar"??

Geoff, I'll bet that SUCKED!! I know how sensitive GT3's are to rear toe. Damn!!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:46 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Yeah it was! Oddly enough, it's the second DE where I've ended up with one rear wheel with toe out, and I haven't hit anything or had an OTE. I'm not sure if this issue is something unique to GT3s, or if the people doing the alignments are not tightening the eccentric bolts enough. Anyone know if Cups have these problems?

Geoff.

Quick Reply: MSR 3.1: my humble video offering