Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 05:35 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 778 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Then do they have to ask for insulin usage proof from diabetics? Hypertension medication usage? I'm not a doctor, but I've slid on a slippery slope once or twice.
There is no slippery slope in my opinion -- OSA is unique and different. For those things you mention, and most serious medical conditions, there is a huge direct self-preservation factor involved. Those conditions will kill you if you don't take your insulin, or your required medication, so there is every motivation in the world for individuals to keep on top of those conditions.

OSA is different. If you don't use the machine, there is no direct risk of dying or even serious illness. If somebody doesn't use it, nobody can tell and they will be largely fine (at least by appearances). They will be impaired, but many people who are impaired (for any number of reasons) can still be largely functional in their activities. Their choice to not use CPAP is fine for activities that involve only themselves, but not in a situation where their individual impairment can hurt others.

For virtually all other conditions, you're only putting yourself at risk. OSA is unique in that there is no immediate to direct health risk to yourself by not using the machine -- but it can does pose very significant risk for others in the wrong situations. I would argue there is no slippery slope for things that are largely unique.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:43 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,219 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
There is no slippery slope in my opinion -- OSA is unique and different. For those things you mention, and most serious medical conditions, there is a huge direct self-preservation factor involved. Those conditions will kill you if you don't take your insulin, or your required medication, so there is every motivation in the world for individuals to keep on top of those conditions.

OSA is different. If you don't use the machine, there is no direct risk of dying or even serious illness. If somebody doesn't use it, nobody can tell and they will be largely fine (at least by appearances). They will be impaired, but many people who are impaired (for any number of reasons) can still be largely functional in their activities. Their choice to not use CPAP is fine for activities that involve only themselves, but not in a situation where their individual impairment can hurt others.

For virtually all other conditions, you're only putting yourself at risk. OSA is unique in that there is no immediate to direct health risk to yourself by not using the machine -- but it can does pose very significant risk for others in the wrong situations. I would argue there is no slippery slope for things that are largely unique.
Not following you here. Probably my own stupidity, but…
If I’m reading this correctly, a diabetic who doesn’t take his insulin before a race can appear fine at the start of the race, yes?
When he goes into diabetic shock on lap 6 and collects 4 other cars on his way into the wall, that’s self preservation that only affects the diabetic? What about the other 4 drivers he put in the wall? You are ok with that?
Pretty sure I’m misreading your post, so maybe you can clarify?
The following 3 users liked this post by dgrobs:
jakermc (06-19-2024), ProCoach (06-19-2024), stownsen914 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 05:57 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 276 Posts

Almost none of what you said makes any sense to me. I think I hear you saying the following:

1) If there is a risk of immediate harm to the individual, that is enough incentive for the individual to comply and therefore no need to check. I am wondering, who gets to decide what falls into that category and what does not? Also, I bet we've all seen people have diabetic attacks from mismanagement of their insulin. Why do we think that would never happen at a race track when it still happens in other places?

2) You state people with OSA are impaired by the long term effects of the health issue which make them dangerous to be on track with others. I suppose people with a bad diet are also impaired by the long term effects of their decisions. Should we ban fat people from racing? What about drinkers who damage their liver? Or smokers damaging their lungs? Ban them all?

3) You state the long term impairment from OSA puts others at such grave risk that they should never race. While I wear a dental device now for my sleep apnea, I only started wearing it after I stopped racing. I suspect I went 10 years with the condition being undiagnosed. I never felt impaired. My competitors certainly never felt I was impaired. Over 15 years of competition I never got a 13, never hit a wall, and was widely considered a clean racer whom others would be comfortable sharing a corner with. So what impairment did I have that I was apparently unaware of? Why was I unknowingly dangerous?
The following 3 users liked this post by jakermc:
Manifold (06-19-2024), ProCoach (06-19-2024), stownsen914 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 06:03 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Wow, maybe I didn’t misread peterp’s post.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanR99 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 06:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,576 Posts

I'm trying so hard to bite my tongue and stay silent, but so many of these comments are just moving resolution backwards. I want to preface this comment by saying that I have agreed with the content of virtually all of @Manifold 's posts throughout this thread. But this representation of the impact of OSA ("since the effect is comparable to being tired") is just objectively false. Long-term deprivation of oxygen -- the unambiguous result of not using CPAP regularly -- does not have a binary result of "sleep or no sleep" impact. Those who don't use it are significantly impaired, whether they fall asleep or not. The entire body is deprived of oxygen over a long period of time --- it is totally different than somebody who just didn't get enough sleep the night before. If you don't get enough sleep, you're fine as soon as you get sufficient rest. It takes weeks of consistent CPAP usage to recover from long-term oxygen deprivation. Those two things seem similar, but they are not, at all. To say anything else is only magnify the point that people without medical knowledge should not be making proclamations about medical issues.

Nobody with OSA, who hasn't used a CPAP consistently, should be on track. Period. From that perspective, it's not a bad idea to get data to confirm usage. Is PCA's decision to require data necessary? Should they take the racer's word for it (especially the word of a top driver with years of experience in the series) rather than require the data? Should a doctor's general statement about suitability for racing override their concern for confirming usage? These are all judgment calls -- and we can all debate whether they made the right calls or not in this case. But it moves the resolution backwards to dismiss the seriousness of non-use -- asking for "a pass" on proof of usage, when the entire dialog is trying to portray the issue as non-serious, does not help that request at all (for reasons that should be very obvious).

I won't disagree with you, you seem to know more about OSA than me, and I'm not a doctor nor otherwise an expert on OSA. I'll just say that I know 'someone' (not me!) who has OSA, uses a CPAP every night, and drives and instruct in DE. I would guess that anyone who has diagnosed OSA does use a CPAP pretty much every night, else they'd feel like crap and would decide not to drive on the track. At least that's the honor system we currently have in place for DE, and there's no evidence of an increased incident rate due to people who have undiagnosed and untreated OSA driving on the track.

Last edited by Manifold; 06-19-2024 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,576 Posts

Are there different degrees of OSA, and different effectiveness of treatments for it? How does the 'impairment' caused by OSA manifest itself, and how does it compare the effects of drivers having slept poorly, dehydrated, heat exhausted, poor cardiovascular conditioning, drank too much the night before, having side effects from medications, etc.?
ProCoach (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 06:20 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 913 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
i don't think there is much that is informal at the national level. There is a nominating committee that is very involved.
Nothing happens at the National level that is not highly political. In other words, no one gets selected for any National position that is not part of the political machine. It's cronyism of the highest order. The powers that be know who is going to be selected for a position before the nominations even occur.
Old 06-19-2024, 06:25 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 913 Likes on 447 Posts

Give me a break. The first commercially available CPAP machine was first sold in 1985. That's not when OSA first occurred. In fact, OSA has been observed since ancient times! See here:

https://document.resmed.com/en-au/do...esmedica14.pdf

What about all the racers that had OSA before 1985? How many race incidents can be traced to OSA pre and post 1985?
jakermc (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 08:25 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Not following you here. Probably my own stupidity, but…
If I’m reading this correctly, a diabetic who doesn’t take his insulin before a race can appear fine at the start of the race, yes?
When he goes into diabetic shock on lap 6 and collects 4 other cars on his way into the wall, that’s self preservation that only affects the diabetic? What about the other 4 drivers he put in the wall? You are ok with that?
Pretty sure I’m misreading your post, so maybe you can clarify?
I guess I confused the issue with by saying "self-preservation". What I meant was that people with serious medical conditions, that require keeping up with meds to remain healthy or alive, are going to be doing that every single day (because their life/health depends directly upon keeping up with treatments). If somebody doesn't manage their insulin properly, for example, it will end poorly. They will do that every day because their life depends on it. There is no reason to believe they wouldn't do it every single day, let alone on race days. It isn't optional for because their health can be immediately effected.

That's totally different from CPAP, where there is no direct life-threatening impact if they don't use it. People with OSA can get by without it for long periods of time, or forever even, so it isn't safe at all to presume they are using it.

My non-optimal wording aside, I'm not sure how it isn't abundantly clear Insulin diligence isn't optional, but CPAP usage certainly is optional since the is no direct immediate risk in not using it.

Old 06-19-2024, 08:35 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I guess I confused the issue with by saying "self-preservation". What I meant was that people with serious medical conditions, that require keeping up with meds to remain healthy or alive, are going to be doing that every single day (because their life/health depends directly upon keeping up with treatments). If somebody doesn't manage their insulin properly, for example, it will end poorly. They will do that every day because their life depends on it. There is no reason to believe they wouldn't do it every single day, let alone on race days. It isn't optional for because their health can be immediately effected.

That's totally different from CPAP, where there is no direct life-threatening impact if they don't use it. People with OSA can get by without it for long periods of time, or forever even, so it isn't safe at all to presume they are using it.

My non-optimal wording aside, I'm not sure how it isn't abundantly clear Insulin diligence isn't optional, but CPAP usage certainly is optional since the is no direct immediate risk in not using it.
Yeah, I guess I didn’t misread your post.
I’m just gonna respectfully disagree with pretty much everything you said and leave it there.
Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by dgrobs; 06-19-2024 at 08:37 PM.
ProCoach (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:12 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 597 Likes on 360 Posts

I'll play Devil's advocate here, and say that peterp has some valid points, relating to the long term effects of OSA.
And some of the 'logic' used to refute them here is downright silly.
I will, however disagree with the need to demonstrate compliance.
OSA sounds pretty unpleasant, and I suspect anyone who knows they have it and controls it with a CPAP is pretty consistent about using it.
A bigger problem might be anyone undiagnosed, but that also goes for a whole boatload of other conditions.
If the PCA is so focused on medical safety, instead of singling diagnosed OSA out for 'compliance check', the appropriate thing is to demand a thorough screening for all possible conditions before every race weekend. Along with a drug and alcohol test before each race...
Not too practical.

The committee's justification citing the danger of dozing off during a race is laughable.
It would be embarrassing to even have that thought, and shocking that anyone could actually voice it.
Alas, they did, and now they'll go to the grave before admitting it was idiotic.
The following 5 users liked this post by Nowanker:
BlueBarchetta (06-19-2024), FunWithFiorio (06-22-2024), Manifold (06-19-2024), Matt Romanowski (06-19-2024), ProCoach (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:17 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Speaking from 25 years of clinical experience, uh... no.

Obviously, PCA racers are a bit of a different subgroup
The following 2 users liked this post by jdistefa:
LuigiVampa (06-19-2024), ProCoach (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

If you want some anecdotal evidence, the most requested thing I get from people that I can't solve is real time glucose information in there data with an alarm. Diabetics in race cars are a problem.

And I would would argue that sleep deprivation is a major impairment that most people do not understand or realize. There is plenty of evidence showing it https://sleep.hms.harvard.edu/educat...h-education-89 Do we then get to get sleep logs from all racers showing they are sleeping?

I'd say it's a very slippery slope.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
Manifold (06-19-2024), ProCoach (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:24 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Yeah, I guess I didn’t misread your post.
I’m just gonna respectfully disagree with pretty much everything you said and leave it there.
Thanks for clarifying.
I mean, you kind of have to show your math if your going to say you disagree with everything I said.

A person with diabetes or a serious heart condition will die if they don't take their meds every single day.

A person with OSA who does not use CPAP has no direct risk to themselves, and let's not forget that using a CPAP is not as fun to use as it looks .

It's safe to assume that someone with diabetes or serious heart condition will take care of that condition because they immediately harm themselves if they don't take their meds.

It is NOT safe to assume the OSA person is using the machine, because their is no direct harm to themselves for not using it.

OSA is a one-off. I don't see what's debatable about any of the above.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:43 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

I mean, you kind of have to show your math if your going to say you disagree with everything I said.

A person with diabetes or a serious heart condition will die if they don't take their meds every single day.

A person with OSA who does not use CPAP has no direct risk to themselves, and let's not forget that using a CPAP is not as fun to use as it looks .

It's safe to assume that someone with diabetes or serious heart condition will take care of that condition because they immediately harm themselves if they don't take their meds.

It is NOT safe to assume the OSA person is using the machine, because their is no direct harm to themselves for not using it.

OSA is a one-off. I don't see what's debatable about any of the above.
When you use the term “impairment” does have a clear objective standard by which a racer is being measured?

I don’t think you’ll get much argument that not using a CPAP for OSA will lead to impairment, but shouldn’t the level of impairment be measured against a minimum standard?

Otherwise, it comes across like the medical committee is making a mountain out of a molehill of “potential impairment”. Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license