Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2024, 04:48 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Yes, indeed really sad when a guy torches himself on the internet and gets goaded on by his internet friends for the entertainment value.
my view too
Old 08-24-2024, 05:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Opus1
Maybe someone could learn from the way FIA exhibits transpancy ?

Just a thought.
Heresy!!!
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (08-25-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 05:46 PM
quickboxster
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
....... and this thread never gets brought up again. Ideally.
This thread will never die, it's even getting close to passing The F1 thread.
LuigiVampa (08-25-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 05:54 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by quickboxster
This thread will never die, it's even getting close to passing The F1 thread.
Maybe we keep this thread going until the government concedes. "Power of the people" in peaceful protest! Crowd chanting...."Reinstate Todd!" "Reinstate Todd!" "Reinstate Todd!"
The following 2 users liked this post by fatbillybob:
LuigiVampa (08-25-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 05:58 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts

Absolutely shocking to have been racing today in a series that doesn’t do anything to gauge whether people might fall asleep mid-race. All the more so knowing Todd was out there racing too. How can I feel safe knowing that any driver might just fall asleep at any moment. I’m absolutely shook. Thank God (the) PCA CR powers that be are more cautious. Truly serendipitous to have such benevolent leadership protecting CR racers from such a clear and present threat to driver safely.
The following 3 users liked this post by CT_Peter:
LuigiVampa (08-25-2024), Nowanker (08-24-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 06:41 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 589 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
Absolutely shocking to have been racing today in a series that doesn’t do anything to gauge whether people might fall asleep mid-race. All the more so knowing Todd was out there racing too. How can I feel safe knowing that any driver might just fall asleep at any moment. I’m absolutely shook. Thank God (the) PCA CR powers that be are more cautious. Truly serendipitous to have such benevolent leadership protecting CR racers from such a clear and present threat to driver safely.
OK....
Now that was sarcasm, right?
Old 08-24-2024, 06:50 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nowanker
OK....
Now that was sarcasm, right?
If drgrobs can immediately define serendipitous, I will confirm or deny whether my post was sarcastic. 🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by CT_Peter:
needmoregarage (08-24-2024), Nowanker (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 07:29 PM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
If they want to get CPAP data, than they should be checking for compliance with insulin treatment of diabetics, whether people with vision issues are wearing contacts or glasses, if drivers can get out of their cars in enough time if they are on fire, if all the gear and safety equipment is operable before each race, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc., or drop the requirement to look at CPAP data.

They cherry picked one medical issue and decided to hyper focus on it when the data is only historical. If I use the CPAP for months and months but don't bring it to me during a race weekend all that data is useless.

The PCA requirement for CPAP data is absolutely ridiculous in the context of overall risk. The "it wouldn't hurt" argument is specious at best.
If would only hurt a little bit if a Colonoscopy was required before every race. Not sure if that's a good justification. All of this is just further evidence of a trend by society to "reduce risk" that seldom turns out well (with some notable exceptions). Couple this with the steady increase in the litigiousness of our culture (Zero Defects!) and you see where we are. Also, as several have pointed out the adherence to the dictates of Authority when clearly the dictate has absolutely nothing to do with the "problem" serves only to tighten the stranglehold. I would somehow suspect that a person with a known problem would be interested in not dying but maybe not. Ironically, racing will, indeed, be very safe when all the racers' potential problems have been evidenced and dealt with. Sadly, the grids will be empty.

LuigiVampa (08-25-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 07:50 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by supercroc
If would only hurt a little bit if a Colonoscopy was required before every race. Not sure if that's a good justification. All of this is just further evidence of a trend by society to "reduce risk" that seldom turns out well (with some notable exceptions). Couple this with the steady increase in the litigiousness of our culture (Zero Defects!) and you see where we are. Also, as several have pointed out the adherence to the dictates of Authority when clearly the dictate has absolutely nothing to do with the "problem" serves only to tighten the stranglehold. I would somehow suspect that a person with a known problem would be interested in not dying but maybe not. Ironically, racing will, indeed, be very safe when all the racers' potential problems have been evidenced and dealt with. Sadly, the grids will be empty.
Wait..I see what they’ve done…fewer racers reduces risk. It’s an indisputable, 100% known fact that having more racers creates more risk. Soooo…THE PCA is undergoing the ultimate in risk management by making PCA CR undesirable! I must say, they are doing an excellent job 😁, keep up the great work!

Oops….does this kind of post get me kicked out….or maybe promoted instead for cheering on these gladiators of risk reduction and exemplars of ethics!
LuigiVampa (08-25-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 08:43 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
If drgrobs can immediately define serendipitous, I will confirm or deny whether my post was sarcastic. 🤣
You’d lose that bet my friend.
Is it a flavor of ice cream?
Old 08-24-2024, 10:57 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
You’d lose that bet my friend.
Is it a flavor of ice cream?
Well darn. I thought for sure you’d be stumped, but since you accurately identified it as an ice cream flavor I’ve no choice but to confirm or deny it.
The following 3 users liked this post by CT_Peter:
dgrobs (08-25-2024), LuigiVampa (08-25-2024), Mikelly (08-24-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 12:00 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
If they want to get CPAP data, than they should be checking for compliance with insulin treatment of diabetics, whether people with vision issues are wearing contacts or glasses, if drivers can get out of their cars in enough time if they are on fire, if all the gear and safety equipment is operable before each race, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc., or drop the requirement to look at CPAP data.

They cherry picked one medical issue and decided to hyper focus on it when the data is only historical. If I use the CPAP for months and months but don't bring it to me during a race weekend all that data is useless.

The PCA requirement for CPAP data is absolutely ridiculous in the context of overall risk. The "it wouldn't hurt" argument is specious at best.
Lol, just on the old people front, judging by the events I've been at I bet 10% of the racers would fail a simple situational awareness test of "did you see the gas truck on fire before it turned into a mushroom cloud 2 feet off your rear bumper"?

A fellow racer installed a horn in his car that he blasts as he laps one geriatric guy (we think he's 84ish). I have a small running list of guys I wouldn't go side by side with in a corner unless you paid me with a free race car. Guys approaching 80 probably shouldn't be on track anymore passing a medical or not; they're never fast and they're almost always an unpredictable rolling chicane.... That's gotta be like 10000 times more risky than some undocumented CPAP user, yet incidents are still extremely low so it never really bothered me racing with someone who probably isn't even allowed to street drive anymore.
LuigiVampa (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 12:57 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao

A fellow racer installed a horn in his car that he blasts as he laps one geriatric guy (we think he's 84ish). I have a small running list of guys I wouldn't go side by side with in a corner unless you paid me with a free race car. Guys approaching 80 probably shouldn't be on track anymore passing a medical or not; they're never fast and they're almost always an unpredictable rolling chicane.... e.
When I started racing in scca regionally there was an old guy so old his old son put him in the car and belted him in. But he was aware and we just gave him room and lapped him. He was slow but not bothering anyone just having a good time at his speed. We hoped that when we got old we could still be racing. On his last race weekend he raced on Saturday and did not wake up for his race on Sunday. We should all be so lucky to race on our last day. I had nothing but respect for that old guy.
The following 15 users liked this post by fatbillybob:
Coochas (08-25-2024), CT_Peter (08-25-2024), dbf73 (08-25-2024), dgrobs (08-25-2024), GC996 (08-25-2024), GlenL (08-25-2024), Larson E. Rapp (08-25-2024), LuigiVampa (08-25-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-25-2024), Matt55 (08-27-2024), mobius911 (08-25-2024), Nowanker (08-25-2024), peterp (09-02-2024), quickboxster (08-25-2024), thebishman (08-25-2024) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-25-2024, 12:05 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 589 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
When I started racing in scca regionally there was an old guy so old his old son put him in the car and belted him in. But he was aware and we just gave him room and lapped him. He was slow but not bothering anyone just having a good time at his speed. We hoped that when we got old we could still be racing. On his last race weekend he raced on Saturday and did not wake up for his race on Sunday. We should all be so lucky to race on our last day. I had nothing but respect for that old guy.
We should ALL be so lucky!
dgrobs (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 12:46 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,391 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Yes, indeed really sad when a guy torches himself on the internet and gets goaded on by his internet friends for the entertainment value.
I'm sorry to read your post Frank because it shows that you have misread this situation. You are mistaking the gallows humor that pervades RL as the driving source of this thread instead of recognizing that a good number people are tired of the way PCA is run. I made my choice with this situation many weeks before it became public so no one is goading me on.

I've always considered you a friend and when you told me you thought I was in the wrong I respected your position. You obviously can't do the same.

Why did Rosa Parks have to sit toward the front of the bus? It would have been easier for her to just follow the rules and sit in the back. Instead, she was arrested and her act of social disobedience spurred a much larger change in society..

I'm not comparing my fight to an important civil rights moment, but rather comparing only the thought process of "just going along with the rules" versus standing up for something you believe even if it costs you something.

It is amazing how many seemingly intelligent people support rules without any logic or substance. I'm a big believer in questioning authority.
The following 10 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
AKKutz (08-27-2024), Larson E. Rapp (08-25-2024), Mike Roblin (08-25-2024), mlct (08-26-2024), needmoregarage (08-25-2024), Nowanker (08-25-2024), supercroc (08-26-2024), thebishman (08-26-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-25-2024), winders (08-25-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license