Sponsored by:

Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 10:58 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Contrast that to Alonso who's even older but still drives every lap like it's his last if the situation warrants it, even though his chances of winning are slim. The guy just loves to race whatever, F1, Indy, Dakar, LeMans, probably shopping carts too.
I've had some insane hammer and tongs shopping cart battles. Getting a good cart without a wobbly wheel and nailing the right check-out line are crucial for the win. And don't forget the coupons.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Nizer:
Carrera51 (04-03-2024), gbuff (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:38 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
I'm concerned about Toto....

Toto Wolff says Michael Masi is a pathological egomaniac:
“This person didn't follow the rules and allowed all of this to happen. He is a completely insignificant person.”
“Everyone saw the drama that took the title from an eight-time world champion. I would have preferred it to have ended differently, but it is undeniable that the race left its mark on history.”
"He lives on the other side of the world and nobody cares about him. He really was a pathological egomaniac."
VIA: [Mercedes AMG F1 BR]
I’m honestly not sure we can ever underestimate the significance of Massi’s decision on Lewis’ psyche on that fateful day in Bahrain at the end of the ‘21 season. Hamilton had come storming back in the latter half of the season, and was what, 8(?) seconds ahead of Max and pulling away with just a few laps to go. All of the incredible mental and physical effort it took to tie up the championship was then stripped away by a Race Director flaunting the very written rules that he was supposed to adhere to.

Why Mercedes didn’t take this to court in the UK beggars belief, as to me, it seems to be a cut and dried case of rules not being followed to the letter, allowing an outcome that will forever be cloaked in controversy.

Compound the above with Mercedes completely ****ing up the design of the ‘22 and onward car would make the strongest of us question our motivation I think, and the end result is Hamilton looks ‘lost’ for want of a better term.

I know many here can’t stand him, but sometimes it feels as if the vitriol towards Hamilton is far more geared towards what he believes in re: ‘Society’, but it’s expressed as ‘he’s a journeyman driver who just got lucky being in the right car at the right time’. Frankly I can’t believe he hasn’t said ‘eff it’, and moved on with other career choices.

But, if he excels in ‘25 and especially in ‘26 if Ferrari produces a championship winning car, then I for one believe that he can take the fight to not just LeClerc, but Max in the RB; (or MB perhaps).
The following 5 users liked this post by thebishman:
goin2drt (04-03-2024), Matt Romanowski (04-03-2024), roadie13 (04-04-2024), sam_spider (04-04-2024), tgibrit (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:51 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

Chatter is that Red Bull bringing some updates to the side pods for Suzuka. I think Australia was a fluke mechanical failure and Max will win Suzuka by 25 sec.
The following users liked this post:
gbuff (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:55 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Chatter is that Red Bull bringing some updates to the side pods for Suzuka. I think Australia was a fluke mechanical failure and Max will win Suzuka by 25 sec.
I think the default result is him winning most of the races by 25 sec.
Carrera51 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:58 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Yep. Newey has been 5 steps ahead of the rest of the teams since the Formula change in 2022 so I don't see that changing. I bet he's going to make the no side pods design work that MB couldn't optimize. I figure he started working it out in his head in 2022 and took his time since they had a dominant car in 2022 and 2023.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:44 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
I’m honestly not sure we can ever underestimate the significance of Massi’s decision on Lewis’ psyche on that fateful day in Bahrain at the end of the ‘21 season. Hamilton had come storming back in the latter half of the season, and was what, 8(?) seconds ahead of Max and pulling away with just a few laps to go. All of the incredible mental and physical effort it took to tie up the championship was then stripped away by a Race Director flaunting the very written rules that he was supposed to adhere to.

Why Mercedes didn’t take this to court in the UK beggars belief, as to me, it seems to be a cut and dried case of rules not being followed to the letter, allowing an outcome that will forever be cloaked in controversy.

Compound the above with Mercedes completely ****ing up the design of the ‘22 and onward car would make the strongest of us question our motivation I think, and the end result is Hamilton looks ‘lost’ for want of a better term.

I know many here can’t stand him, but sometimes it feels as if the vitriol towards Hamilton is far more geared towards what he believes in re: ‘Society’, but it’s expressed as ‘he’s a journeyman driver who just got lucky being in the right car at the right time’. Frankly I can’t believe he hasn’t said ‘eff it’, and moved on with other career choices.

But, if he excels in ‘25 and especially in ‘26 if Ferrari produces a championship winning car, then I for one believe that he can take the fight to not just LeClerc, but Max in the RB; (or MB perhaps).
Bish,
I understand your point of view and the situation that happened in the race, but this comment by Toto is not about Lewis, it's a personal attack against Masi. Toto got Masi fired from his position 3 years ago and to be honest, the calls by F1 have not been any better. Charlie Whiting is not coming back - those were huge shoes to fill and anyone in that position was going to be compared to Charlie.

There's no evidence Masi malicious and purposely out to get Lewis, he made a call on the fly and it didn't work out the way it was written due to several things happening all at once in the closing stages of a race. If we compare what Massa is doing with going to trial for 2008, which was a deliberate cover up by Bernie and others that resulted in what would have been a championship for Felipe and not Lewis. I think Massa's lawsuit shouldn't move forward even with newly found evidence and it should be left in the past. End result, Lewis got a championship he shouldn't have and lost one he shouldn't have.

But for me, it comes down to Toto and not Lewis because Toto is the Team Principal (and significant shareholder) of a very prominent global brand and I'd expect better from someone in that position. The pressure of not having a top car may be a factor in his outbursts when he'd had the best car for a decade. He's not measured and his venom is surprising to the point I can't name another team principal, current or former who speaks like he does.
The following 4 users liked this post by multi21:
500 (04-04-2024), LuigiVampa (04-04-2024), ProCoach (04-03-2024), skl (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 07:20 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Oh, he can drive to be sure, but he just seems/sounds tired and frustrated… .
He is tired and frustrated because his race car sucks and knows it is not going to get better anytime soon.

Give Lewis a front running car and that all goes away.
Tedster (04-05-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 07:41 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 549 Likes on 331 Posts

Back to Toto/Masi...
Pot-Kettle!

My opinion of 2021 was that driving standards had been erratically enforced all season long.
Perhaps from a few different factors, but all responsibility resting with the ship's captain, Masi.
Culminating with the biggest blown call of all time.
Charlie's shoes may never be truly filled, but no reason to keep someone who sucked THAT bad.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nowanker:
goin2drt (04-04-2024), Tedster (04-05-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

To sometimes understand where someone is coming from, you have to know their background. It's safe to say we all know of Jos's "history". Some of these encounters were in full public view. Who knows what horrors Max endured behind closed doors...

Max Verstappen's childhood was marred by trauma, much of which stemmed from his father, Jos Verstappen, who reportedly physically abused him during his early karting days.
Sauro Cesetti, a fellow driver, revealed this unsettling aspect of Verstappen's past. Despite the difficult upbringing, Verstappen has managed to achieve significant success in the sport, and he now appears to have a positive relationship with his father.
However, Cesetti's recollections shed light on a darker and more perilous side of Verstappen's journey to where he is today.
“Max grew up following his father's footsteps, but when he made mistakes, Jos reacted with kicks and punches, he was very violent with him,"
“We were in Sarno for the KZ World Championship, where Max competed in the small category, while I ran in the big category. In the final he found himself second and tried to overtake the first; however, at the time of overtaking he turned around, lost about ten positions, recovered them all but finished second in the World Championship,"
“After the race, he kept his helmet on for four hours. His father had hit him so many times that he was afraid to take him off,"
“Max, he was raised hungry, eager to do and with real blood,"
This is why, the drivers aren't taken aback by Max Verstappen's emotional aloofness and his infrequent errors during races. This is attributed to his upbringing where mistakes were reportedly met with severe and unjustifiable punishment, fostering a hyper-focused and error-averse mentality in him since his early days.
VIA: [=AT1fOS_mfJb0MPtMn47yFZWZUA9DEh70owSYYVauVGuM5t_-setBqZnn12fNNquZ5L3NUXCJs1bL8CHn1Pr2eW0IdAKoGdtei6Uv0LO4sx0yMi_PSUWo5a8q 9t7AeyPoL6cKxnzhyhkkJmbdfvVvIEsrJz35r1Yyl5LJ0Ah1-QPySJQgyrGfA7BtOZ2igVLLcIA0G7gsS0CUVqCO6A]gpfans.com]
The following 2 users liked this post by multi21:
Carrera51 (04-04-2024), LuigiVampa (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 07:36 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 528 Posts

To sometimes understand where someone is coming from, you have to know their background. It's safe to say we all know of Jos's "history". Some of these encounters were in full public view. Who knows what horrors Max endured behind closed doors...

Max Verstappen's childhood was marred by trauma, much of which stemmed from his father, Jos Verstappen, who reportedly physically abused him during his early karting days.
Sauro Cesetti, a fellow driver, revealed this unsettling aspect of Verstappen's past. Despite the difficult upbringing, Verstappen has managed to achieve significant success in the sport, and he now appears to have a positive relationship with his father.
However, Cesetti's recollections shed light on a darker and more perilous side of Verstappen's journey to where he is today.
“Max grew up following his father's footsteps, but when he made mistakes, Jos reacted with kicks and punches, he was very violent with him,"
“We were in Sarno for the KZ World Championship, where Max competed in the small category, while I ran in the big category. In the final he found himself second and tried to overtake the first; however, at the time of overtaking he turned around, lost about ten positions, recovered them all but finished second in the World Championship,"
“After the race, he kept his helmet on for four hours. His father had hit him so many times that he was afraid to take him off,"
This is why, the drivers aren't taken aback by Max Verstappen's emotional aloofness and his infrequent errors during races. This is attributed to his upbringing where mistakes were reportedly met with severe and unjustifiable punishment, fostering a hyper-focused and error-averse mentality in him since his early days.
VIA: [=AT1fOS_mfJb0MPtMn47yFZWZUA9DEh70owSYYVauVGuM5t_-setBqZnn12fNNquZ5L3NUXCJs1bL8CHn1Pr2eW0IdAKoGdtei6Uv0LO4sx0yMi_PSUWo5a8q 9t7AeyPoL6cKxnzhyhkkJmbdfvVvIEsrJz35r1Yyl5LJ0Ah1-QPySJQgyrGfA7BtOZ2igVLLcIA0G7gsS0CUVqCO6A]gpfans.com]
Sad but not surprising. A lot of achievement comes from overcompensation or reaction to childhood trauma.

Coupled with intrinsic talent it can lead to greatness but not necessarily a happy life. Lots of examples in sports, the arts, and media.

Last edited by ldamelio; 04-04-2024 at 07:39 AM.
LuigiVampa (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 09:46 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 146 Posts

Bish,
that resulted in what would have been a championship for Felipe and not Lewis. .
that's speculation, a guess, there were three remaining races that season, who knows how team strategy would have played out without Piquet's crash @ Singapore. you can't replay sporting events/seasons in court, including Lewis losing title #8, this all makes Massa look very foolish.

Last edited by tgibrit; 04-04-2024 at 09:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tgibrit:
Carrera51 (04-04-2024), Nowanker (04-04-2024), Rig.Stunts (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 10:00 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

Last edited by gbuff; 04-04-2024 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

VIA: [[url=https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fgpfans.com%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0iGF0-cTsFvPaylqdbJjTwsojjUNyMp476Abvu8gdcy7H-fx9Qxs3DfKg_aem_AaIMjlFzJU90X49Oysp3OSAN-Yg5V4DstAYYK_ZRqlbtFooFYFN9lNT1jDsSlcFemCu_NtbkR0nTIo-vIqwPXio4&h=AT0WWCtRNYT4FUrxXRv1hUNRnFvmvLKLYfdMLkoBgb1JcYy6uedbLMDDniit x4mEyUg6CSu__ugyl6i8J8J7RjMcNk-17fLnUhKGquYCY2QV4_yvmK2CiqP-eVatbohmJe30fU7_Yg&__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT1fOS_mfJb0MPtMn47yFZWZUA9DEh70owSYYVauVGuM5t_-setBqZnn12fNNquZ5L3NUXCJs1bL8CHn1Pr2eW0IdAKoGdtei6Uv0LO4sx0yMi_PSUWo5a8q 9t7AeyPoL6cKxnzhyhkkJmbdfvVvIEsrJz35r1Yyl5LJ0Ah1-QPySJQgyrGfA7BtOZ2igVLLcIA0G7gsS0CUVqCO6A]gpfans.com]
As someone who lost a loving father today, this is heartbreaking. I knew that JV had major anger control issues, but if the above is true, I hate what Max had to deal with as a child; and others in JV’s orbit of course, especially women.

There is a special place in hell for child abusers.
The following 8 users liked this post by thebishman:
gbuff (04-05-2024), Krokodil (04-05-2024), ldamelio (04-04-2024), LuigiVampa (04-05-2024), multi21 (04-04-2024), ProCoach (04-04-2024), skl (04-04-2024), tgibrit (04-04-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2024, 01:28 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Jos sounds like the stereotypical bad sports dad. I saw it from time to time when my 17 year old son was playing football. Too many dad's trying to get "what could have been" by reliving their sports years through their sons.
Tedster (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 02:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
As someone who lost a loving father today, this is heartbreaking. I knew that JV had major anger control issues, but if the above is true, I hate what Max had to deal with as a child; and others in JV’s orbit of course, especially women.

There is a special place in hell for child abusers.
Bish, My sincere condolences on your loss today. Godspeed to your father and may he rest in peace.
thebishman (04-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season