NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Well, I was once at 48,000 feet over the Pacific when there was an electrical fire in the starboard bulkhead. I don't think you've been there? But thanks for playing anyway!

Most pilots and airmen in general have a fear of fire. I can tell you more stories if you like. You should be satisfied by my telling you that:

a) We don't like fires.
b) see (a)

Be very careful with your assumptions. You'll meet folks on this media you never expected to meet.
Because it's Christmas!

Old 12-12-2018, 10:14 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,088 Likes on 1,189 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
This is crazy, even for Rennlist..
PCA proposes a DE rule which will keep DE participants, for the one's that chose to modify their cars with parts of a safety SYSTEM, that will cause them to finish this aspect of their safety system so it isn't the direct cause of their death. You put in race seats, harnesses, and a roll/harness bar/cage to attach the harnesses to and lock your torso in place and with all we have learned in the past decade+ it's not clear you need a HANs of some type? The egress question is valid, but answered by many. Anyone with a restraint system should have practiced egress with eyes closed and breath held 100 times (out of both sides of the car if possible) if they are serious about safety on track. And if not serious, why the hell did they install all the safety devices? Looks?
This could have been post #2 and the thread should have been over.

I tried to do a modest clean-up so the conversation could continue, it's obvious now certain parties are impossible to reason with so time to pull the plug.

Sorry guys, there's no rule against having "smartest person in the room" syndrome.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, when I started this thread I was trying to point out that a mandatory HANS for DE (with harness) strikes me as an indication of a fundamental problem. Too many (including a lot of people who posted here) have confused DE with racing. As I pointed out, when racing I use a HANS because 1) the car does not have airbags and 2 because racing involved higher risks than DE.

By the rules a 2 year old car without airbags and a 20 year old 3 point belt is OK - I suppose that means safe enough. Yet, a brand new car with airbags a plenty, a factory sports seat and harness is not safe unless you wear a HANS, Does anyone see the conflict here? OTTO has his own reasons for disliking the new rule. Others think it's a good thing. Again when youo attend a DE do you think you're racing or just enjoying your Porsche and improving your skills? I fear too many people who are afraid to race in a real race substitute DRIVER EDUCATION for the real thing. Eventually, the insurance companies will shut us down because anything which makes DE look and feel like racing will incur their wrath.

Regards

Quick Reply: NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)