Sponsored by:

NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:06 AM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Replay here. Nobody driving 7/10, Riesentoter Red Group WGI.2018.
Love Tom's car!! You got us all making cameo's. Never saw that before!! Thanks for posting Bill!! Sub 2's in DE traffic. Not so bad.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:22 AM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Except the Corvette
My goodness!!

I think Bill needs to go over and show Ralph where the right pedal is located!! LOL!!
Old 12-09-2018, 10:13 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
For all those mathematically challenged d please put a number to "many" destroyed at PCA DE events please..

This is a rant. Not personal. I just like facts not one time at band camp stories.
Quickly off the top of my head that I have witnessed or been part of:
  • I rolled my car at Limerock in a DE: totaled
  • Instructor in our region was killed in a DE
  • Car hit a tree and caught fire in a DE, burned to the ground
  • Student lost control (instructor in car) rolled the car. Student killed, instructor in hospital
  • Car lost brakes and launched over a burm into the woods at a DE: totaled
  • Car lost brakes (diff track) and slammed into tire wall at a DE: totaled
  • Car lost it out of a high speed turn, into tire wall in a DE: major damage
  • Too fast through a turn and slammed into a concrete wall in a DE: airbags deployed and very expensive rare car totaled
Shall I go on? And I haven’t been doing DEs much the past 5 years for various reasons. These are with different groups, who have different safety standards. The ones that walked away mostly had good safety gear.

I just can’t wrap my head around why we are 5 pages into a discussion about the desire for PCA (and other organizations) wanting to help keep us safe in a relatively dangerous sport we all love. To have people with $100k+ cars complain about having to buy a $500 piece of safety equipment is ludicrous.

The tire wall/armco/tree/concrete doesn’t care if your in a DE or a race. It’s just as hard and causes just as much damage.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 12-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I just can’t wrap my head around why we are 5 pages into a discussion about the desire for PCA (and other organizations) wanting to help keep us safe in a relatively dangerous sport we all love. To have people with $100k+ cars complain about having to buy a $500 piece of safety equipment is ludicrous.
Yes, and what the "I have airbags" cryers need to realize is that an accident at 150 MPH rarely has the one impact that the airbags will help with. Once they inflate/deflate after the first impact they are useless... You really want to risk a Basilir fracture for $500?
Old 12-09-2018, 10:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Probably three reasons:

- People don't understand the benefit provided by adding the HNR to the harness, or conversely the added risk of not adding the HNR. Here's what happens without and with HNR (freeze it at 0:04 and compare the head/neck positions; head wants to go flying forward and pull off the neck with forces that can be 50g+, which is why the base of the skull fractures):

- People can be amazingly irrational when it comes to spending money. No problem spending a lot more on consumable tires that don't last long to go a bit faster in a non-competition DE, but somehow $500 for an HNR is a big deal?

- People don't like being told what to do. But DE event organizers do have a responsibility to know and tell participants what they're required to do with respect to key safety aspects. If I go skydiving for the first time or even the tenth time, I'd want experienced people telling me what to do with respect to safety, and I wouldn't want to rely on my own uninformed judgment.

Last edited by Manifold; 12-09-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:42 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

“If harness, then HANS” rule is a no brainer and good for PCA to include it. The equal restraint rule should be changed to a more lenient rule that only prohibits the driver from having better protection than the passenger. Passenger should be free to choose any protection that’s stronger than the driver’s.

Forums like these are great for debating the PCA rule set, as it helps PCA to see what its customers (members) value and what they don’t.

Folks arguing that PCA (or any other private club or venue, in general) have no right to impose rules for THEIR OWN events should not impose any rules onto guests that they allow into their own houses. Muddy shoes, getting naked, farting, belching, dancing on the table, making fun of your fat children? Do as you wish as long as it doesn’t actually hurt anybody.

Clubs/venues choose rules, participants/customers/consumers choose if they come or not. PCA is in its full right to mandate wearing pink panties to all participants in its events, if it so decided. The market decides with its wallets/feet if it will support it or not.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:53 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This thread is devolving into "no, my region is the most dangerous!" LOL!

996AE - PCA doesn't release the stats but I have seen many incidents with my own eyes - that is the stat I am going by. Not campfire stories. Not heard it from a friend. I've been there for far too many accidents over the years but that is what happens when you drive fast on track.

Region culture has a lot to do with it. A bunch of years ago I was driving with another region and I spun in the pouring rain doing about 40mph. It was a slow, lazy spin, and when I returned to the pits the CI started screaming at me for spinning. He was telling me they had gone the whole year without someone spinning. WHAT??!! The whole year and no one spun once? WTF are you guys doing? Parade laps?

Maybe you belong to this same region?
I have seen DOZENS of cars totaled in HPDE environments over the years and countless others banged up. I personally had a total at an open track DE event when I went through someone's oil. I've also banged up cars before often from simply driving at 7/10 cough cough.
I'm not sure why this is so surprising to some people.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 114 Posts

[LEFT]

I just can't wrap my head around why we are 5 pages into a discussion about the desire for PCA (and other organizations) wanting to help keep us safe in a relatively dangerous sport we all love. To have people with $100k+ cars complain about having to buy a $500 piece of safety equipment is ludicrous.

I have full agreement with this. I anticipate that after a few stutters in the first year, no-one will remember the concern about the adoption of HNS.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

To have people with $100k+ cars complain about having to buy a $500 piece of safety equipment is ludicrous.
To be fair, this rule applies to people with 944s, too. And in total, the safety gear required to get to that point it applies can exceed the cost of the car.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:40 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Burger
To be fair, this rule applies to people with 944s, too. And in total, the safety gear required to get to that point it applies can exceed the cost of the car.
To be fair, the incremental cost of the HNR with seats, harnesses and install is still a small percentage.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on your budget, I guess.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:15 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 965 Posts

F. Time Trial and DE passing rules (no passing is allowed in Autocross): 1. Passing zones for all groups shall be well defined at the Drivers' Meeting. All passing must be completed by the end of the passing zone as defined by the event organizer. Road courses associated with super speedways may use the super speedway turns as passing zones (turns on the portion of the track comprised of the oval section of the super speedway). There shall be no passing in any other turns except as allowed by the Expanded Passing Program. Kinks in a straight area of the track will not be considered turns unless specified by the Event Chairman. The Event Chairman shall take into consideration the areas of the track that are preferred for passing, and may restrict certain passing zones to advanced run groups. THERE WILL BE NO PASSING UNDER RED FLAG CONDITIONS. THERE IS ALSO NO PASSING UNDER YELLOW FLAG CONDITIONS EXCEPT FOR SLOW MOVING VEHICLES WHOSE DRIVERS HAVE SIGNALLED THAT THEIR VEHICLES ARE DISABLED.

Zone 8 2018 rule on passing.

ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME
Old 12-09-2018, 12:26 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 965 Posts

As for the HANS RANT funny how personal some of the RL crowd is.

They way some of you rant in favor of HANS devices for DE drivers I am surprised this rule wasnt floated 10 years ago. Heck we all knew and have known that driving at speed on a race track is danerous and ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME is highly recommended.

Yet at the "Ring" where some believe in personal responsibility and choice helmets are optional.

ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME for me is my choice.

My not so elegant posts have tried to find facts supporting the stories of the few incidents ive seen vs the 10s of thousand of DE laps completed safely each year. I like facts and stats in todays hyper anecdotal world.

Taking individual freedom to choose away from Americans is something I am fundamentally opposed to.

Americas greatest generation is gone and this is something I must accept.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

As for the HANS RANT funny how personal some of the RL crowd is.

They way some of you rant in favor of HANS devices for DE drivers I am surprised this rule wasnt floated 10 years ago. Heck we all knew and have known that driving at speed on a race track is danerous and ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME is highly recommended.

Yet at the "Ring" where some believe in personal responsibility and choice helmets are optional.

ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME for me is my choice.

My not so elegant posts have tried to find facts supporting the stories of the few incidents ive seen vs the 10s of thousand of DE laps completed safely each year. I like facts and stats in todays hyper anecdotal world.

Taking individual freedom to choose away from Americans is something I am fundamentally opposed to.

Americas greatest generation is gone and this is something I must accept.
The rule has indeed been discussed for years. And most people voluntarily adopted use of HNR over the years. But this thread shows that some people won't do that, typically due to ignorance, irrational cheapness, and/or misguided application of ideals of "freedom." PCA and other event organizers need not accommodate such people and allow them to make bad decisions which result in preventable serious injuries and deaths at their events on their watch. Kudos to PCA for taking initiative on this to increase the safety of participants at its DEs.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:51 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

AFAIK event organizers require helmet when driving "The Ring". Now if you are talking about "Tourist Drives" you are talking about driving a toll road and German street driving regulations are in effect at that time.

Quick Reply: NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)