Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
re: HAN required...

This may have already been answered so I apologize if it was.

Is HANS required in F1/Indycar/NASCAR? Or is it up to the driver to choose?
Yes, it's mandatory in all three. Example: https://www.indycar.com/Fan-Info/IND...rs/HANS-Device

Further info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device

And this is why it needs to be mandatory (top drivers don't necessarily know much about safety, and sometimes make bad decisions on safety):

https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/03...device-at-roc/

Last edited by Manifold; 12-10-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:33 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
And IMSA, SCCA, NASA, WRL,..,

Old 12-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fuztupnz
Maybe Otto and some of the others angry with the rule change can team up with TRAKCAR and create their own events with Windows up and HNR devices off for safety.
You misunderstand me; I'm designing my car for HANS and HALO. I don't oppose either. What I oppose is regulations that don't have anything to do with the safety of others on the track. Those elections are personal and also form the basis of Darwinian Evolution; without allowing folks that choice, we weaken our species. That's sort of a joke. Sort of.

It's a very slippery slope to get involved in regulating personal safety equipment. It not only exposes the venue and organizers to liability, it progresses. Next you'll be required to wrap yourself in flameproof bubble pack with a closed circuit O2 supply and intravenous nutrition. Then we'll pack the entire cockpit in steel re-enforced concrete. It doesn't end here. Once you start "protecting" people for their own good, it goes on forever.

It's none of my business what contraptions you use in your car to protect you against injury as long as they have no effect on me. Do what you want. For my part, I use a HANS and HALO to keep my head in its traditional relation to my shoulders, but that's just me.

PS: You are right about the windows up thing. I'd support that and shift to using turn signals rather than point bys. Lots of groups do it.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
Hmm... Otto, I think I'm getting what you're after, maybe.

Otto, is your fundamental question "While I believe it helps in an impact event, what other new risks am I introducing, specifically with regards to emergency egress, by wearing HANS? And how well studied is this question?"

If that's what you're after, by framing it like the above I think you'll receive responses that are more constructive and informative. I initially was under the impression that your requests for tests and data were to address doubts as to whether or not HANS actually worked as intended in an impact event. Others appeared to have had the same impression. Your additional focuses on details such as posters' technical background and the right or lack of the right to not use HANS were admittedly distractions.
Yes, thank you. That's a very accurate summary of my opinion and my motivation. I've personally chosen to use the HANS system, but as I mentioned many times earlier, there are no doubt "unintended consequences" that are also unknown consequences in the present. I don't think anyone else should be making this decision for me. If they really feel strongly they can improve the case and my peace of mind by collecting data on the efficacy and risks of the HANS device.

As I said, I'm convinced at this point, but I may become unconvinced in the future. I'd like to preserve the right to change my mind on something I can't see being anyone else's business.

In the end, it's my *** out there.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I read the above and let me give a summary answer - sometimes you can learn from others and the level of trust you have can be relative to their stature. F1 is considered the pinnacle of motor racing and they have implemented HANS devices. I'm going to trust they know what they are talking about.
Very similar to my conclusions. The exception I'll make is open vs. closed cockpits; F1 is open cockpit and so emergency egress, while still a concern, is a lesser one than it would be in the closed cockpit training and racing we do at PCA events.

That's really my only concern.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
That's a very accurate summary of my opinion and my motivation.
Nope. Not even close Otto. You're entire point has been "safety is up to the user and no one can tell me what to do."

That's it.

And it's ridiculous.

I think we can get to 25 pages!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,489 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Very similar to my conclusions. The exception I'll make is open vs. closed cockpits; F1 is open cockpit and so emergency egress, while still a concern, is a lesser one than it would be in the closed cockpit training and racing we do at PCA events.

That's really my only concern.
Otto, you can take all these arguments to the extreme so I think it is best to consider the "greater good".

Consider that in my 944 I have a half cage so it is much easier to get in and out of the car so perhaps it is safer than my fully caged Cayman? But in an accident the Cayman provides much more protection because of its full cage so the Cayman is perhaps safer than the 944?

Before I installed my HALO seat I had a little more vision left and right so perhaps it was safer with my old non-HALO seat? But with my HALO seat if I am in an impact my head will be protected so perhaps I am safer with the HALO seat?

Is the F1 car safer because it is an open cockpit as you suggest for egress? What happens if you flip it over, now with the F1 HALO system which creates a cage around the cockpit? Is it really safer?

You can go on and on like this but at the end of the day these are the little trade offs we all make in the name of safety. You have to make these decisions and move on otherwise your debating in the alternative seems pedantic. It would be nice if there could be zero risk, but that is not reality, we can only mitigate risk.

Lastly, I will state that if anyone here is looking for a sanctioning body, whether it is PCA, NASA, or SCCA, to be the final arbiter of the minimum safety you should drive with, than you should rethink your own personal safety. Most organizations are years behind what everyone else has figured out to be safe already. This thread is testament to that fact.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Let's be clear about one thing. Head/neck restraint (HNR) devices are NOT new technology.

These devices were extensively tested during their development decades ago, and we now have decades of experience indicating how they perform in real crashes in real cars with real drivers in a wide variety of open and closed cockpit cars in everything from the most elite racing series to DEs.

There's no need to speculate about the results of using HNRs, we already KNOW the answer from all of that testing and real world experience, and the answer is that the safety benefits far outweigh any potential downsides, hence the widespread adoption of mandatory use of HNRs in pro racing.

People posting uninformed speculations about the effects of using HNRs need to do their homework and catch up with the rest of the world. Use of HNRs when using harnesses is just as mandatory as use of 3-pt seatbelts when driving on the road (I believe big brother has mandated the latter also).
Old 12-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Otto, you can take all these arguments to the extreme so I think it is best to consider the "greater good".

Consider that in my 944 I have a half cage so it is much easier to get in and out of the car so perhaps it is safer than my fully caged Cayman? But in an accident the Cayman provides much more protection because of its full cage so the Cayman is perhaps safer than the 944?
Certainly your fully caged Cayman is safer than your half caged 944, except for the egress problem. You chose one system for the Cayman and a different one for the 944. Why? There's no shortage of full cage options for the 944, the one I happen to like best is here: http://www.stableenergies.com/Safety...nfo/SD%2DP944/

I like it because it looks like I can take the front cage out for street use. If you have experience with it I'd appreciate your opinion. The alternative is a half cage as you suggest. Like you perhaps, I have a desire to build a mixed use car and, as you say, it's a compromise. I don't intend to be the fastest car on the track with this build, but I do intend to take my girlfriend to town in it once in awhile. (BTW, I'm old enough and well enough heeled that I no longer need a functional back seat when I'm taking girls out to dinner).

In the end, these choices are based on intended use. There aren't any globally applicable rules and as a governing body we need to keep that in mind. If I want to join IMSA I will; they have a different goal from the PCA, which is largely made up (something like 99%) of folks who like to drive their cars on the street and race them a few times a year on the track. Most of us don't own dedicated track cars. The vast majority of us don't.

Before I installed my HALO seat I had a little more vision left and right so perhaps it was safer with my old non-HALO seat? But with my HALO seat if I am in an impact my head will be protected so perhaps I am safer with the HALO seat?
Sure you are. I'm installing HALO seats myself, but they're Sparco Ergo seats with removable wings for the street. Sparco gets it. (https://www.sparcousa.com/product/ergo)

Is the F1 car safer because it is an open cockpit as you suggest for egress? What happens if you flip it over, now with the F1 HALO system which creates a cage around the cockpit? Is it really safer?
That I can't say. I have no experience with F1 cars and no real desire to get more familiar. I don't drive or even train in an F1 car. I mentioned they don't have the same physical constraints we do, so lessons learned from F1 need to be translated into our environment. We can learn, but unless we decide we're really an F1 organization, it's just an analogy.

Egress is much more difficult for us. It would be suicidal to ignore that I think.

You can go on and on like this but at the end of the day these are the little trade offs we all make in the name of safety. You have to make these decisions and move on otherwise your debating in the alternative seems pedantic. It would be nice if there could be zero risk, but that is not reality, we can only mitigate risk.

Lastly, I will state that if anyone here is looking for a sanctioning body, whether it is PCA, NASA, or SCCA, to be the final arbiter of the minimum safety you should drive with, than you should rethink your own personal safety. Most organizations are years behind what everyone else has figured out to be safe already. This thread is testament to that fact.
What you describe are the differences created by different applications, different intended use. There's no "one size fits all" in this case. F1 cars just aren't the same as closed cockpit race prepped street cars and it would be foolish to pretend they were. Certainly we can do our best to learn from others, but there should be no doubt that knowledge will need to be adapted?

Best Regards,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 12-10-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:57 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,489 Likes on 1,964 Posts

I'm on a train going from Philly to Connecticut and am pretty bored so in the few remaining moments I have before I can escape to my car I will respond succinctly.

There is zero need to qualify every statement. We are talking about risk mitigation, not risk elimination.

That was the point of my above post.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
Nope. Not even close Otto. You're entire point has been "safety is up to the user and no one can tell me what to do."
Pardon me Streak, but I don't think the question was addressed to you? I'm pretty sure I'm the final authority on the subject of what I think though. Damned sure. It's an argument you're absolutely guaranteed to lose.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:05 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Pardon me Streak, but I don't think the question was addressed to you? I'm pretty sure I'm the final authority on the subject of what I think though. Damned sure. It's an argument you're absolutely guaranteed to lose.
Nah. Your own posts tell a different story. "PCA can't tell me what to do. . . . " blah blah blah.

C'mon 21!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

There is zero need to qualify every statement. We are talking about risk mitigation, not risk elimination.
My understanding also. Risk mitigation needs to be evaluated in context. What's good for F1 may not be all that good for SP3 Stock. I'm personally betting it is, but it's a gamble, one I'm risking my life on. I'd like the latitude to make that decision myself. Nothing more.

Best Regards,
Old 12-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Let's be clear about one thing. Head/neck restraint (HNR) devices are NOT new technology.
I don't think that was ever a question Mani.

There's no need to speculate about the results of using HNRs, we already KNOW the answer from all of that testing and real world experience, and the answer is that the safety benefits far outweigh any potential downsides, hence the widespread adoption of mandatory use of HNRs in pro racing.
Let's not confuse real safety with your desire to play dress up? OK?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
Not you, that's for certain. If there were a walking, talking reason to mandate personal safety equipment for the sake of the ignorant user, you'd be it.

Get up there in front of the line. You've earned it.

Quick Reply: NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)