Sponsored by:

NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
HANs device and fire suit have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
The cat pictures don't advance your argument in my opinion.

Of course the two systems are coupled (not cats. Cats are different). A HANS device restricts egress. It's that simple. If you're using a HANS you'd better be wearing a full on fire suit and your car should be equipped with fire suppression. You should practice getting out of it with your HANS in place. This isn't rocket science. Well, truthfully it really is rocket science.

It's what we do Gary. Really. Ask anyone that's crewed or flown experimental aircraft. I'm not blowing smoke up your skirt. This is what we do.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Eloquent yet again Streak.

At what point will you address the problem?

Do you personally chose to use a fire suit with your HANS rig? Gloves? Shoes? Have you ever practiced emergency egress?
She's good at Bocce

Old 12-12-2018, 09:17 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

The cat pictures don't advance your argument in my opinion.

Of course the two systems are coupled (not cats. Cats are different). A HANS device restricts egress. It's that simple. If you're using a HANS you'd better be wearing a full on dire suit and your car should be equipped with fire suppression. You should try to get out of it with your HANS in place. This isn't rocket science. Well, truthfully it really is rocket science.

It's what we do Gary. Really. Ask anyone that's crewed or flown experimental aircraft. I'm not blowing smoke up your skirt. This is what we do.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:19 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Not a cat
True story, that's not actually a pancake.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Eloquent yet again Streak.

At what point will you address the problem?

Do you personally chose to use a fire suit with your HANS rig? Gloves? Shoes? Have you ever practiced emergency egress?
There’s no problem. You said you’ve never used HANS before. Where is all this egress panic coming from? HANS will barely affect your egress, if at all. If you’re still worried, there are release straps to get rid of it in a blink. The windshield obstructs your egress much more yet I don’t see you arguing against it.

Suit, gloves, and shoes have nothing to do with this discussion. The complete system under discussion is harness+hans. At this point, seems like you’re just looking for attention. Loving creatures that we are, we’ve given it to you in abundance.

Can’t bother to scan 20 pages to see which posts were deleted. None of them should have been, IMO.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't see the part where bolt in cages are not allowed? In the text you've cited I see:

"The mounting area of bolt‐in roll cage must be backed by a plate of a size equal to that of the upper mounting plate with a minimum thickness of 3/16”."

I've been reading this section carefully over the past year and this didn't leave me the understanding bolt in cages were verboten. Is there something I've missed?

Regardless, the rule you're quoting, unless I miss my guess, only applies to SP class cars. There's nothing there that says a half cage and harness bar can't be mounted in a car used for DE/HPDE (is there a difference?). So folks with half cages and harness bars (and harnesses of course) will now be required to use a HANS in DE events. That's new.
The current rule states "Roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing Standards"

The Appendix A quoted is the Standard.

While it does have details for bolted in systems, it says they must end at a floor plate, and also mandates "The roll cage must have a full width main hoop and a full‐width front hoop or two side halo hoops around the door opening connected by tubing across the top of the entire windshield."

This would eliminate the 4 point cage as an option.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Hacker? I concede.

You've let this discussion roam into parts unseen and apparently that's the intent. The OP presented a "rant"; seriously upset with a PCA policy change. I'm pretty sure he wanted to be taken at least a little seriously.

As a moderator, you've clearly failed. You've allowed a serious topic to be taken over by snot nosed dips who's only contribution are pictures of other people's cats.

Nice work.

Oh. PS: If you're suffering from the delusion I may like paying for pictures of other people's cats on a site that advertise itself as the best technical Porsche website in the world, well as my Grandfather was so fond of saying; you have another think coming.

This is way out of hand Hacker. Seriously. I can't tolerate this level of noise. I don't think I'm alone on that.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 12-12-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

taken over by snot nosed dips who's only contribution are pictures of other people's cats.

Nice work.
That sounds personally insulting

Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak

Also not a cat but the sentiment remains
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait, I posted a pic of my cat. Were we supposed to post someone else's cat?

Otto, look at the Simpson Hybrid. It doesn't have the big pillars behind the helmet that could potentially get snagged during egress. I have the slide clips/posts and the SAS setup which ties into the lap belt clips. (designed to release when your cam lock is released.) It's a great setup and not too bulky.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
Does it?

Do you personally identify as a "snot nosed dip"? I had no idea.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,078 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Wow … everyone disagrees with someone, yet that person keeps arguing despite all the information provided to him, continues to insult people after being warned not to, and goes on to attack the moderator too.

But he raises one good question: where is the OP? Having read this thread, what's his opinion now?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Where is all this egress panic coming from? HANS will barely affect your egress, if at all.
Well, I was once at 48,000 feet over the Pacific when there was an electrical fire in the starboard bulkhead. I don't think you've been there? But thanks for playing anyway!

Most pilots and airmen in general have a fear of fire. I can tell you more stories if you like. You should be satisfied by my telling you that:

a) We don't like fires.
b) see (a)

Be very careful with your assumptions. You'll meet folks on this media you never expected to meet.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:11 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Does it?

Do you personally identify as a "snot nosed dip"? I had no idea.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:11 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Hacker? I concede.

You've let this discussion roam into parts unseen and apparently that's the intent. The OP presented a "rant"; seriously upset with a PCA policy change. I'm pretty sure he wanted to be taken at least a little seriously.

As a moderator, you've clearly failed. You've allowed a serious topic to be taken over by snot nosed dips who's only contribution are pictures of other people's cats.

Nice work.
This is a topic that is near and dear to me, as I was one that argued in favor of the policy when I was on the DE committee. I personally have tried very hard to post information to help with the discussion, and I think avoided personal insults. I've watched Mr Mechanic form arguments which clearly come from a lack of knowledge. He's free to do that. Calling folks on the forum who disagree with him names is in bad taste, but it just reflects back on him. But when he accuses me of poaching pictures of other people's cats, I draw the line. Hacker, please give this guy a vacation. He has earned it.

Sincerely,

Mike and Newman

Quick Reply: NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)