Sponsored by:

Vision and Car Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamBrouillard
Here is an article about vision and racing drivers I had saved with a neat little saccadic vision test.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...G_GRAPHIC.html
Level 5 might as well have been "randomly bang on your keyboard"
Old 08-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamBrouillard
Here is an article about vision and racing drivers I had saved with a neat little saccadic vision test.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...G_GRAPHIC.html
Pho King Awesome...great find...thanks for posting!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:31 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Hmm, I'm not very good at it. Perhaps it's too early. One thing I did notice is the skill felt very different than looking far down the track. When judging rotation rate, the goal is not to remember patterns in the distance, it is to judge motion.

I can see its value however, in that practicing it could not hurt and it's cheap practice at that. In addition, in a racing situation (which I'm not doing) I can see the value in quickly assessing what is happening in front of you.

An interesting test would an object panning and ask slow down, speed up, steady, steady faster steady, steady slower steady, etc...

I'm also just about convinced that Faux King and Ghetto Raceboy are one and the same or at least a copy cat.

-Mike
Old 08-18-2017, 02:18 PM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Hmm, I'm not very good at it. Perhaps it's too early. One thing I did notice is the skill felt very different than looking far down the track. When judging rotation rate, the goal is not to remember patterns in the distance, it is to judge motion.

I can see its value however, in that practicing it could not hurt and it's cheap practice at that. In addition, in a racing situation (which I'm not doing) I can see the value in quickly assessing what is happening in front of you.

An interesting test would an object panning and ask slow down, speed up, steady, steady faster steady, steady slower steady, etc...

I'm also just about convinced that Faux King and Ghetto Raceboy are one and the same or at least a copy cat.

-Mike

The test is about how quickly your eyes can move and resolve detail. A saccade. These are very fast movements. The other type of eye movement is smooth pursuit. Think watching an animal run across a field. When you drive, you use both types of eye movement. Your eyes will quickly move from focus point to focus point and use smooth pursuit as you track each one.

I wouldn't put too much into your results. I asked some of the top sim racers in the world to do the test and their results weren't noticeably different than an average racers. Maybe the test should focus more on the .25 to .15 range where you start seeing more variation in results.

There are training programs for athletes designed to improve saccadic vision, but I'm not really sure how effective or useful they are. Focused training to properly use your vision on track is probably going to be more worthwhile. The test is fun though.

Last edited by AdamBrouillard; 08-18-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:23 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Let's forget all the other variables and take it completely out of context, because a lightweight spec miata with r comps and lots of practice totally doesn't matter around corners!
Wait what?

So the reason the Miata is faster is because it's lightweight and on better tires... than your 380hp Carrera?

Good friend of mine used to have a Spec Miata. Good driver... usually won his class at local races. I could out-lap him in my old 944 Turbo on street tires.

Miatas might have the corner speed but they don't have much else...
Old 08-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yep. Pho King Delusional.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 PM
1990nein
Pro

--

Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Get over yourself, cupcake. I drove his car. He later bought mine. People progress at different rates. Yet he has made a major leap forward, and is a great guy. You, on the other hand, display an astounding amount of arrogance without portfolio for someone who drives so poorly.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Seat time is the differential! I was barely doing better than the Miata's 2:06 with 2:05 on MPSS on my first track day at Buttonwillow CW13. That said the Miata was already going fast as hell because around that time 2:01-2:02 was the street tire benchmark for most cars - S2000's, lotuses, high hp cars included.
Keep dodging the big question!
no this has nothing to do with your car and everything to do with your driving
nothng wrong with driving slow for your first time. everyone is a little off their first time out...... but when you are SLOW, you shouldnt be advising folks on a racing site no less, on how to drive "faster" or "better".

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Wait what?

So the reason the Miata is faster is because it's lightweight and on better tires... than your 380hp Carrera?

Good friend of mine used to have a Spec Miata. Good driver... usually won his class at local races. I could out-lap him in my old 944 Turbo on street tires.

Miatas might have the corner speed but they don't have much else...
Yep.........this is obvious to most of us here!

Lol I totally missed this page while preparing for NYST. I usually just skip over whatever Mark writes because it's always just a bunch of rambling that makes anyone stupider after reading it
Page 2!
But thanks for sharing my video! How many times did you watch it? Let's forget all the other variables and take it completely out of context, because a lightweight spec miata with r comps and lots of practice totally doesn't matter around corners!

That said, here are other threads relevant around that time...apparently the lap time was respectable? That was my 2nd time at Buttonwillow and like my 3rd track day ever...the learning process/Mental Telemetry seems efficient to me!

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...eway-park.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...k-combo-2.html

And here's the inphomous both feet in thread that preceded the Buttonwillow event:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...h-feet-in.html

It's like this every time, so I'm pretty used to it! People go on a rampage and then I post a video and then silence. I'm like the Rosa Parks of motorsports or something It's okay, it's human nature to feel uncomfortable when presented with something you aren't used to.

When something is optimized it is not necessary to re-write it. See above about picking and choosing. MT is a work in progress and I will build on it/share it as I please. The recent trend in thread topics is good for everybody. Stop hating!

Have you come up with an explanation for why it took 4 years for one of your students to learn how to look ahead?
Look, now you are tossing out insults here, and you drive your porsche like you are a monster truck in the mud???? for real?????
tell you what... you toss out challenges.... you want to come out west.. I'll pay for your car rental and the track fees, if you run a faster lap time in any car you want.
Put up or shut up!

Pho King school of driving video: GO RIGHT TO 5:30 on the video.... see any similarities?

you say this below....... about your "both feet in thread" you miss the point of both feet in. that is ONLY for when you lose it....... when you lose it, not putting both feet in allows your car to drive to the other side and crash, by usually backing into a wall. Again, this is only when counter steer is too late or you have been hit to allow the car to not recoverable by steering input........then, its time for both feet in.. and this needs to be done at the correct time, as to continue on a path straight ahead or to the outside of the track due to the tires being locked. when racers DONT lock up, you get cars that are spinning and unpredictable in their direction. this usuallly ends up in accidents. THIS is why racers advocate "both feet in" when racing, after the car goes beyond the point of forward facing control.

Sorry but I think the real moral of the story is in a spin, keep driving! Releasing the pedals at the proper time is not "both feet in."

"Both feet in" tells the driver to freeze up and not do anything/release any pedals until the car comes until a stop - just stomp on the brakes and pray that you end up okay. This driver would have ended up in the wall if he had done this!

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-23-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:37 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Have you come up with an explanation for why it took 4 years for one of your students to learn how to look ahead?
Did you even read the OP before spewing your nonsense here? One of the concepts here is that of subtlety, something obviously foreign to you.

Just to get a clearer picture, in addition to your driving CV, what instructor credentials do you hold? Approximately how many students have you trained? Who allows you to instruct for their organization?

Anybody else find it amusing that this clown cries poor, yet drives a fairly high end P-car on the track? That does remind me of the satisfaction I get catching guys like this in my nearly 20 year old BMW or even better, when instructing some newbie in a similar car and forcing Faux Kings (Ghetto Racers) to give pointbys in their Porsch-A.

-Mike
Old 08-23-2017, 11:15 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Did you even read the OP before spewing your nonsense here? One of the concepts here is that of subtlety, something obviously foreign to you.

Just to get a clearer picture, in addition to your driving CV, what instructor credentials do you hold? Approximately how many students have you trained? Who allows you to instruct for their organization?

Anybody else find it amusing that this clown cries poor, yet drives a fairly high end P-car on the track? That does remind me of the satisfaction I get catching guys like this in my nearly 20 year old BMW or even better, when instructing some newbie in a similar car and forcing Faux Kings (Ghetto Racers) to give pointbys in their Porsch-A.

-Mike
It's definitely amusing.

I especially love the "crying poor" and yet driving in a manner that shreds a fairly expensive set of rear tires in short order.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

delete
Old 08-23-2017, 02:52 PM
1990nein
Pro

--

Old 08-23-2017, 04:00 PM
TXE36
Drifting

We are making progress here boys!
What you mean ‘we,’ kemosabe? There is an adult conversation going on here and you're not in it. 10 pages later you still didn't read the original post. BTW, it was a visual/feeling connection - you would know that if you read the OP. Either that, or you MT bull**** doesn't give much reading comprehension - you know, an actual vision/mind thing.

I take you instructing resume has as much content as your driving resume - jack squat.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Vision and Car Control