Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which passing rules are better?
Current
85.51%
Proposed
14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

PCA passing rules

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
We've shared a few beers so I hope you know it was never my intent to insult you. Far be it from that, I was merely trying to say that although this is a valiant attempt to define certain rules, and that the rules are very important, in most cases the rules are not how a driver makes a decision out on track. We make these decisions in an instant with bumpers and quarter panels sometimes less than an inch apart. Sitting in a race car with a helmet and HANS, cage, perhaps a halo seat, and all the other items blocking our view, our interpretation of where we are, and who has the corner, is based many times on incomplete information.
Then, pls correct me if I'm wrong, but judging from the above would it be safe to say that you believe that the rules, as they stand, expect (and should enforce) Scenario b (i.e. that the passed Car B "...does not own the corner. Everyone must leave racing room", that it must leave racing room for Car A, and that the two cars should co-exist side-by-side through the corner)? Thx.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:48 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

I'd appreciate a more direct answer from a respected club racer such as yourself about the question I posed about Scenario a) vs Scenario b) above. "Drivers must 'get it', and not hit each other" is not a rule, unfortunately. I too wish it was that simple. I'm sure you too, as a lawyer, understand the significance that rules have in guiding competition and resolving conflicting claims to a scarce resource (track/racing space, in this case).
Oh buddy, the exact same scenario/argument I think every decent club racer has made when dealing with sub-par drivers that forget cars have mirrors.

I think the principal issue here is this: "Drivers must leave racing room" and "the passing driver is responsible for a safe over-taking" are in direct and absolute conflict with one another. POC has this issue too. During our racing clinic (and frankly all throughout the education process) it is hammered into your head that you must, at all times, LEAVE RACING ROOM NO MATTER WHAT. But that is not what is enforced. When evaluating 13/13, a late pass attempt, regardless of spacing/bumper coverage/etc is deemed at fault by the over-taking driver. I'd be fine with this, yet we still have the mandate that drivers must leave racing room. These policies do not jive. Is the lead driver permitted to use his car as a weapon, because diving for an apex regardless of track situation is just that? I've directly asked that question and been rebuffed.

Again, I'm fine with the current enforcement of the rules, but let's be clear to up and coming drivers so we can avoid this exact scenario time and time again. Drivers do not need to leave racing room; they can use the 3,000 car as a weapon to discourage over-taking and as "advanced blocking". I'll posit, like my encounters, this only happens with good drivers tangling with sub-par drivers in higher classes. This is the only time I've encountered it......and what makes it so infuriated is the hours of other great racing when dealing with good drivers. I've been on the giving and receiving end of stupid/overly aggressive moves many times. A good racer knows what's happening around them and knows when to open the wheel a bit. This has happened every time I've attempted or been passed, with the sole exception of 2 times (guess which ones).

Basically I think it's time to be honest and manage expectations for club racers. You do not have to leave room; if the car behind you isn't at your door feel free cut off their nose, collect damage to your car and a 13/13 for the other driver.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:13 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,904 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Then, pls correct me if I'm wrong, but judging from the above would it be safe to say that you believe that the rules, as they stand, expect (and should enforce) Scenario b (i.e. that the passed Car B "...does not own the corner. Everyone must leave racing room", that it must leave racing room for Car A, and that the two cars should co-exist side-by-side through the corner)? Thx.
The problem I have with your question is that I don't think it is a question. It is two potential outcomes to one situation. That being said, my hope is that all drivers err on the side of avoiding an incident and leaving racing room.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mehoff
Basically I think it's time to be honest and manage expectations for club racers. You do not have to leave room; if the car behind you isn't at your door feel free cut off their nose, collect damage to your car and a 13/13 for the other driver.
Thanks. You too seem to suggest that the rules should pick one of the two conflicting scenarios, stick with it, and enforce it consistently. In this case these two rules would be enough and perfectly consistent:

1. The passing car has responsibility to make a clean pass.
2. The car ahead at turn in has the corner.

No need to confuse things by adding "...but doesn't own the corner. Everyone must leave racing room.". This way everyone would know that they could just go for the apex if they are ahead at turn in, and every passing driver that is still behind at turn-in would have to stand his car on its nose and line up behind lest he gets involved in a contact for which he would get a 13.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Actually if I know i'm not going to be past him before turn in I make the call early and tuck in behind. I've been chopped enough (and picked up a 13 my 2nd year out) to make the assumption it's going to happen and he doesn't see you. It's more fun to finish a little frustrated than not finish at all... All the rules do is give you an arguing point after the collision, I prefer not to have to argue, but that's me! Mr. Nice Guy.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

The problem I have with your question is that I don't think it is a question. It is two potential outcomes to one situation. That being said, my hope is that all drivers err on the side of avoiding an incident and leaving racing room.
Yes, my question is which of those two potential outcomes is expected and enforced by the rules? Both ProCoach and you seem to prefer Scenario b), and I do too, yet the actual enforcement of the rules (punishing the inside passing car with a 13 instead of the outside passed car which didn't leave room and went for "his" apex) seems to prefer Scenario a). The first goal of my inquiry is to establish that the two scenarios are conflicting yet both allowed by the rules. My second goal is to express my preference for the encouragement and enforcement of Scenario b ("...does not own the corner. Everyone must leave racing room.")
Old 04-16-2018, 04:07 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Actually if I know i'm not going to be past him before turn in I make the call early and tuck in behind. I've been chopped enough (and picked up a 13 my 2nd year out) to make the assumption it's going to happen and he doesn't see you. It's more fun to finish a little frustrated than not finish at all... All the rules do is give you an arguing point after the collision, I prefer not to have to argue, but that's me! Mr. Nice Guy.
Same.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
You suggest that the rules should pick one of the two conflicting scenarios, stick with it, and enforce it consistently. In this case these two rules would be enough and perfectly consistent:

No need to confuse things by adding "...but doesn't own the corner. Everyone must leave racing room."
1. and 2. were the way the rules were written in March 1991 by Alan Freidman, during the formation of PCA Club Racing, and lifted directly from the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association's 13/13 Rule.

In amateur racing, the primary responsibility is ALWAYS on the overtaking driver. Because there is NO incident, without an overtaking car...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-16-2018, 04:13 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
1. and 2. were the way the rules were written in March 1991 by Alan Freidman, during the formation of PCA Club Racing, and lifted directly from the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association's 13/13 Rule.

In amatuer racing, the primary responsibility is ALWAYS on the overtaking driver. Because there is NO incident, without an overtaking car...
Originally Posted by hf1
Thanks. You too seem to suggest that the rules should pick one of the two conflicting scenarios, stick with it, and enforce it consistently. In this case these two rules would be enough and perfectly consistent:

No need to confuse things by adding "...but doesn't own the corner. Everyone must leave racing room.". This way everyone would know that they could just go for the apex if they are ahead at turn in, and every passing driver that is still behind at turn-in would have to stand his car on its nose and line up behind lest he gets involved in a contact for which he would get a 13.

Congrats! I think you two just solved the thread.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:16 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Same.
x3

Originally Posted by hf1
the actual enforcement of the rules (punishing the inside passing car with a 13 instead of the outside passed car which didn't leave room and went for "his" apex) ")
there is only one apex -- if I am not even or ahead at turn in, gotta back out because it isnt mine to take.

if I come upon a driver I know that knows me and they leave the door open, depending on the corner, you can take inside since they arent trying to impede you but get you by without breaking too much of your momentum or theirs, though you both are a bit off line, so small sacrifice in laptime. if i dont know the car, I expect them to slam the door (and many do), so I generally set up a gap and get a run to clear traffic on the straight.

Originally Posted by hf1
No need to confuse things by adding "...but doesn't own the corner. Everyone must leave racing room.". This way everyone would know that they could just go for the apex if they are ahead at turn in, and every passing driver that is still behind at turn-in would have to stand his car on its nose and line up behind lest he gets involved in a contact for which he would get a 13..
should submit the rule change and see how it flies. who knows? but to be clear, how you put it is how in how things "should" work in practical terms now.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Gary, do you think that the enforcement of Scenario b ("...does not own the corner. Everyone must leave racing room.") by punishing the outside passed ("chopper") car with a 13 for the contact would encourage awareness and lower the frequency of this chop happening? Do you think that the enforcement of Scenario a ("The car ahead at turn in has the corner...") by punishing the inside passing car with a 13 for the contact discourages awareness on the part of the outside passed car and increases the frequency of this chop happening?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,904 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Look - I got you another page! And you thought I was trying to shut this thread down!
Old 04-16-2018, 04:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

In amateur racing, the primary responsibility is ALWAYS on the overtaking driver. Because there is NO incident, without an overtaking car...
There is also NO racing without overtaking, or without getting out of bed that morning.

Congrats! I think you two just solved the thread.
Originally Posted by Fumes
x3

there is only one apex -- if I am not even or ahead at turn in, gotta back out because it isnt mine to take.

if I come upon a driver I know that knows me and they leave the door open, depending on the corner, you can take inside since they arent trying to impede you but get you by without breaking too much of your momentum or theirs, though you both are a bit off line, so small sacrifice in laptime. if i dont know the car, I expect them to slam the door (and many do), so I generally set up a gap and get a run to clear traffic on the straight.
So we all seem to prefer (and hope for) the "gentlemanly" Scenario b in which a door is not slammed (and room is given), yet we understand that the rules are enforcing Scenario a in which a door could be "legally" slammed with no penalty for the "slammer" if contact is initiated. Assuming that we also agree that the rules should be consistent and non-contradicting, which one of these two sets of consistent rules would you prefer to race under?

(Scenario a):
1. The passing car has the responsibility to make a clean pass.

OR

(Scenario b):
1. The car ahead at turn in does not own the corner.
2. Everyone must leave racing room.

Thx.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Look - I got you another page! And you thought I was trying to shut this thread down!
Thx, I owe you a beer.
But I hope we're not having this discussion just for my benefit and that it is relevant and helpful for every club racer.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:06 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
On a different note, the 13 should expire soon.

+1

On a different note;

Should we start a poll on how long it'll take to get get the next 13 once back from the existing 13 vacation? IMHO it seems that arguments are being collected in the hopes that on the next go-around the decision will go in their favor.

Quick Reply: PCA passing rules