Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 11:44 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by pietpara
Some of my experiences with charging... on a 2017 4E

Charging at home with my normal 230V 16A (3.6kW) socket I never got more than 38km (23.75mi) range, with aircon switched off. On a public charger with 11kW, it will reach 42km (26.25mi). This is at temperatures between 10-20 degrees C.
And this is with a typical city driving with traffic lights in totally flat country; in case range is indicated depending on previous driving habits.
So even though my car has 'only' a 3.6kW charger unit, the charging capacity of the external charger (3.6 or 11kW) makes a small difference.
Charging with the ICE is much faster, indicating that this internal charger, mine limited at at 3.6kW, is bypassed.
Driving with aircon on reduces the range by about 10 to 15%. Driving in cold winter days without aircon is not always possible because windshield will show condensation fast. I have not found a way to turn on only fan, or just open air vents, with fresh outside air blowing without electric needs. I find this strange since it's possible in all other cars I have ever driven.
Lastly, even though electric range indicates its depleted, I can drive another km or 2 before ICE turns on.

When switching to sports mode it quickly charges to about 8 or 9 km range and then maintains it at that level more or less, in city driving. In sports plus mode it charges even more until full, similar to e-charge mode.

Do you guys share a similar experience?
Yes, charging with the ICE is way faster. When I've been on long-distance trips, I've nearly fully charged the battery pack from close to zero in only about an hour, with Hybrid mode set to E-Charge. I rarely use Sport or Sport Plus because I find all the ICE modes I need in Hybrid; in Hybrid Auto, you can get the full extent of the ICE plus electric motor when you want it, and in E-Charge the ICE stays on just as in Sport(+) mode(s).

I think my maximum EV range in summer (without the ICE coming on) has been close to 25 US miles (40 km). With temperatures below 40 deg F, my peak range has been about 20 miles (probably closer to 17-18 miles below 30 deg F). The predicted range on the car computer drops about 10 percent when you put on the air conditioner or heater, vs. having them off; but as has been noted in this thread, the computed range is always about 10-20 percent too high, vs. reality. It will be interesting to see if there is any degradation of range in the battery pack over a year or two in these new-gen Panamera E-Hybrids; I have had mine for eleven months now, so I'm getting back to warm weather where I can make comparisons to my "real" EV range from a year ago, and I'm wondering if mine will have around 5-10% less range than originally. Also, it seems to me that my EV range may be improved somewhat when I stay in adaptive cruise control, vs. having it off; I've been experimenting with this to see how much this might affect the range.

I have yet to use a public charger; all my charging has been done either at home or at a Porsche dealership, thus far; in fact, I leave my charging cables at home always. I only have the 3.6 internal charger and haven't upgraded my garage outlet from 120 volts because I still get a full charge from zero in 12 hours, which is fine for me overnight. I presume that the dealership charging ports are 240 volts.

Last edited by cometguy; 04-25-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:23 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pietpara
Some of my experiences with charging... on a 2017 4E

Charging at home with my normal 230V 16A (3.6kW) socket I never got more than 38km (23.75mi) range, with aircon switched off. On a public charger with 11kW, it will reach 42km (26.25mi). This is at temperatures between 10-20 degrees C.
And this is with a typical city driving with traffic lights in totally flat country; in case range is indicated depending on previous driving habits.
So even though my car has 'only' a 3.6kW charger unit, the charging capacity of the external charger (3.6 or 11kW) makes a small difference.
Charging with the ICE is much faster, indicating that this internal charger, mine limited at at 3.6kW, is bypassed.
Driving with aircon on reduces the range by about 10 to 15%. Driving in cold winter days without aircon is not always possible because windshield will show condensation fast. I have not found a way to turn on only fan, or just open air vents, with fresh outside air blowing without electric needs. I find this strange since it's possible in all other cars I have ever driven.
Lastly, even though electric range indicates its depleted, I can drive another km or 2 before ICE turns on.

When switching to sports mode it quickly charges to about 8 or 9 km range and then maintains it at that level more or less, in city driving. In sports plus mode it charges even more until full, similar to e-charge mode.

Do you guys share a similar experience?
I have a new theory :-)

if the temperature outside is higher (like spring/summer vs. winter), you have more battery capacity available to you. This results in the reach going up.

Shame I don't track how much I charge every evening at home as that would have given me the clue. But as far as i remember, in winter i charged 12,xx kwh wiht an empty battery, i will see how much I charge nowadays.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:21 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bosch
Last weekend, I had a check engine light go on, then a "high oil level" warning come on... so I took in my car to have them look at it... they noted that the check engine light was on because of low battery voltage...??? The oil was over filled by 1.5 litres (which they ended up sucking out)... I never put in oil nor did an oil change since new... so strange to have the warning come on now after almost a year driving... they also did the cluster software update...
Other people have had similar experience with high oil level warnings. This has not happened to me, but if I recall correctly, the problem was not necessarily caused by initial over-filling but by (??) accumulation of condensation in the oil, or something like that. You can search this forum for earlier posts.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:37 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

I've had no problems with oil levels in almost 20k miles of driving my E-Hybrid now -- never "too full", and the levels have gone down only a little each time I approach the 10k-mile mark. Perhaps my high percentage of driving in E-Power mode has something to do with this? I think close to 60% of my drive time since last May has been in "Zero Emission" mode.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:32 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bosch
Last weekend, I had a check engine light go on, then a "high oil level" warning come on... so I took in my car to have them look at it... they noted that the check engine light was on because of low battery voltage...??? The oil was over filled by 1.5 litres (which they ended up sucking out)... I never put in oil nor did an oil change since new... so strange to have the warning come on now after almost a year driving... they also did the cluster software update...
This is nearly always because of excessive fuelling on stop/start hybrid use, which escapes past the piston rings and your oil will be fuel contaminated. Take it back asap to your dealer, give them a smart clip round the ear and tell them to change the oil and filter, as they should have done without being asked. Oil does not grow on its own! As the rings wear in and fuel stops getting past them, this phenomenon goes away. Many of us have had this on low mileage 4 E-Hybrids.

Wilson
Old 04-26-2019, 03:16 PM
bosch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
This is nearly always because of excessive fuelling on stop/start hybrid use, which escapes past the piston rings and your oil will be fuel contaminated. Take it back asap to your dealer, give them a smart clip round the ear and tell them to change the oil and filter, as they should have done without being asked. Oil does not grow on its own! As the rings wear in and fuel stops getting past them, this phenomenon goes away. Many of us have had this on low mileage 4 E-Hybrids.

Wilson
When you say this happens when there is "excessive fuelling", as in putting too much gas in the tank? I'm not sure how this would lead to gas getting into the engine / oil sump? We have direct injection into the combustion chambers, so gas only gets inside there when the engine is running and it gets ignited... I understand what you are saying that oil shouldn't "expand" on it's own, which is what I asked them, which they couldn't answers...
Old 04-26-2019, 03:36 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

He's talking about the Rich start ups that happen because the engine is cold, two things contribute to oil "growing", fuel getting past the rings and if you live in a humid area, water vapor - neither one is good for your engine
the engine oil needs to get fully up to temperature for those to be removed, if you're not getting the ICE all the way up when ever it is used that would allow those contaminants to stay and grow.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:41 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anyone bought an additional wall bracket for the universal charger together with a charging plug holder for when it is not in use and if so, what was the price? I asked the spares department of my dealer ages ago to find this out, together with the price of a 16A Schuko plug charger lead but neither was forthcoming. I don't now need the Schuko plug lead, as I have made up a 30m long 20A extension cable with a Schuko plug at one end and a waterproof British 13 amp rectangular pin socket at the other end, to use at my French house. I would like to build a small shelter for the charger with lockable doors on it and it would be nice to put a proper charger bracket inside as well. The one supplied with the car is fixed to a wall at my UK house, next to the 32 amp/230V socket.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:34 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Default New E-Hybrid ST

Few weeks ago we found a left over 2018 E-Hybrid ST at a local dealer at an amazing price. Wife needed a new commuter car, so 1+1 = purchasing this vehicle. The color was not our favorite but we decided to make some modifications. The wheels originally looked rather lame so we changed the color. Black accentuated the green calipers nicely!

We also got rid of the orange and red bumper deflectors by using the great service from BumperPlugs! The paint match is nearly flawless. Also added the black sports exhaust tips, just for looks.

Painted the door handles black, which makes all the black accents flow nicely.

Lastly, got lucky and found some black e-hybrid badges and added those, as well as the black PORSCHE lettering.

All in all car turned out better than expected. Now looking forward to the countless commute miles!
Old 04-28-2019, 11:04 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks Good!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:37 AM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you tell me if the BumperPlugs for the side markers illuminate at night? I received mine as well from BumperPlugs but still waiting for car to be released from port. Any pics you can share would be helpful!
Old 04-29-2019, 10:51 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Very nice to see another ST. One thing I forgot to do when I picked up my car... take a lot of pictures as I was too anxious to drive it. :-)
-- Mike
Old 04-29-2019, 02:27 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by adi_d

Lastly, got lucky and found some black e-hybrid badges and added those, as well as the black PORSCHE lettering.

The car looks great! Did it come with deletion of model designation? Where did you get the e-hybrid badge for the back end, and how did you have it put on?
Old 04-29-2019, 02:33 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FriscoTexasGuy
Can you tell me if the BumperPlugs for the side markers illuminate at night? I received mine as well from BumperPlugs but still waiting for car to be released from port. Any pics you can share would be helpful!
I would love to check and take pics, but traveling this week. I can post something on Friday if that is not too late.

Originally Posted by cometguy
The car looks great! Did it come with deletion of model designation? Where did you get the e-hybrid badge for the back end, and how did you have it put on?
The car came with the general green/chrome e-hybrid and Panamera 4 badges. I ended up sourcing these CXX badges from a vendor. They are slightly bigger, so may be off a Cayenne e-hybrid. I detail my own cars, so I removed the original badges with a heat gun and installed these myself.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:39 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

I had a rather bizarre thing happen to me this evening: I went out to my garage to unplug my 2018 E-Hybrid, and the plug wouldn't come out. I spent quite some time trying to figure out why it wouldn't unlock... before I finally realized that the car was locked! I never lock my car in my garage, which is the only place that I really charge my car (I don't bring my charger with me anywhere), so I had never realized that when the car is locked and the car plugged in, the plug is locked into the charging port also. I must've heard that somewhere long ago, but it just didn't register as a possible reason why the plug wouldn't come out. Well, I unlocked the car, and the charger plug popped right out... Good feature to have if you're charging in a public place -- very logical. Just didn't register, and I started wondering if it was broken and if I'd have to call Porsche to come to the house to fix it! Not sure how my car got locked accidentally, but next time I'll know to check! Am I the only one this has happened to?

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread