Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:15 PM
bosch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just driving in e-mode (on cold ICE) and all of the sudden if you press the accelerator too quickly (not past the "notch"), the engine kicks on, but doesn't really provide much more power as the engine is still cold.... On pressing the "sports response button" during e-mode (cold ICE), the engine kicks in, but as fas as I can tell, we don't have full power as the engine needs to warm up first... is this right? If so, one will need to have a warm up ICE always to have max power when needed...
Old 07-23-2019, 11:19 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I definitely noticed the turbo lag when I test drove the 2018 4S. That was one of the reasons I decided to go with the 4 E-Hybrid. Absolutely no turbo lag at all at any speed in any mode.
I've never driven a 4S (at least one that I remember, as I've driven one to two dozen Panameras), but I drove a couple of 2018 Panamera Turbos before I ordered my 2018 Pan4 E-Hybrid, and I vastly prefer the 4 E-Hybrid to the Turbos. If you offered me a Turbo for free, I'd immediately trade it in for a 4 E-Hybrid (or maybe a Turbo S E-Hybrid). Picking a 4S over a 4 E-Hybrid makes zero sense to me, at any level (including price, power, performance, standard options, etc. etc.)...
Old 07-24-2019, 04:40 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bosch
Just driving in e-mode (on cold ICE) and all of the sudden if you press the accelerator too quickly (not past the "notch"), the engine kicks on, but doesn't really provide much more power as the engine is still cold.... On pressing the "sports response button" during e-mode (cold ICE), the engine kicks in, but as fas as I can tell, we don't have full power as the engine needs to warm up first... is this right? If so, one will need to have a warm up ICE always to have max power when needed...
Yes it will "idle" at 1200rpm for a will until its "warmed up" or most likely until the oil is circulated.
It will respond though if you do floor it, so no you don' have to wait for max power, but it does try to make you wait.
I have occasionally hit the button from electric with a cold engine and it responds fully if floored as far as I can tell.
However its the equivalent of thrashing any cold engine, it isn't going to do it any good in the long run.
Incidentally the response button is (as I understand it -and been discussed before) no different to sports plus setting except its"timed response", as such I rarely use it and typically switch to sports plus.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:49 PM
bosch
Advanced

Originally Posted by K777
Yes it will "idle" at 1200rpm for a will until its "warmed up" or most likely until the oil is circulated.
It will respond though if you do floor it, so no you don' have to wait for max power, but it does try to make you wait.
I have occasionally hit the button from electric with a cold engine and it responds fully if floored as far as I can tell.
However its the equivalent of thrashing any cold engine, it isn't going to do it any good in the long run.
Incidentally the response button is (as I understand it -and been discussed before) no different to sports plus setting except its"timed response", as such I rarely use it and typically switch to sports plus.

Then it would make sense to start off the car in ICE mode to "warm up" the engine and switch to e-mode once warmed up and have it ready to go incase of the need for extra power or the use of the response button as to not hurt the engine.... I guess there has to be a trade off.... but I assume the "emergency flooring it on a cold engine" scenario is better than having to start the ICE every time....
Old 07-25-2019, 04:50 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by bosch
Then it would make sense to start off the car in ICE mode to "warm up" the engine and switch to e-mode once warmed up and have it ready to go incase of the need for extra power or the use of the response button as to not hurt the engine.... I guess there has to be a trade off.... but I assume the "emergency flooring it on a cold engine" scenario is better than having to start the ICE every time....
It would, and sometimes I do. But my daily commutes are typically 10mph average in queuing traffic, so on my commute I don't.

Incidentally I have found in my brand new car that the engine switches off around 60 degrees C, not 90 as my 2017 did
Old 07-25-2019, 09:47 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

K777, when did you change your car? looks like you went from white to chalk? can you point me to the pics you might have posted here?
Old 07-25-2019, 11:37 AM
K777
Racer

Total loss due to cost of parts and suspension pushed up a tad.

Not my fault, some plank decided to make a manoeuvre infront of on coming traffic, fortunately I have dash cams, albeit only the rear one was in the car !!

The white car on the left basically reversed across the front of me, I tried to stop on the massive path ( no pedestrians) but didnt make it. As you can see.

Car filled with smoke as 8 airbags went off, I had to crawl out of passenger side onto the wall.

Every cloud as they say, insurance paid out, sent my excess back when they saw my cam footage as a none fault claim, I had GAP insurance back to purchase price, so actually better off.

Bought the Crayon as it had just arrived into UK as stock and needed a car ASAP.
I love the colour but felt was to expensive when ordered the white one.
Downside is that it doesn't have surround view which I am missing.
Better seats though - the full 18 way ones.

It was like I had killed a best mate. Shared some good times together and we both enjoyed many times.

Actually its what we call a CAT S so can go back on the road when repaired, but the Porsche bodyshop priced it up at £50K + which is quite shocking.

Heading to Scotland in August for a few days so will prob take some pics with decent scenery.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:51 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow K777. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. I'm glad you're all right, physically and financially, but your white Panny really took a hit. So you like the 18-way seats but miss the Surround View. Any other lessons from having had two similar but different cars?
The following users liked this post:
K777 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 11:58 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by louver
Wow K777. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. I'm glad you're all right, physically and financially, but your white Panny really took a hit. So you like the 18-way seats but miss the Surround View. Any other lessons from having had two similar but different cars?
Cheers.

The ICE turns off at about 60 degrees C on the new one, the old was about 90 degrees.

Sports exhaust doesn't pop or growl as much, although MY biz partner has same 2017 car and we tested them together and actually mine did sound better when stationary revving. Marginally.

Only other lesson - get dash cams - without it I would be up the creek as no witnesses. And keep them in the car - my front was on my desk as the date kept going back to 2012. Sorted now though.

There was about 4 new cars (via Porsche GB Hatfield) to choose from, plus another Crayon colour one at a more local dealership but it was Crayon leather too, which was just too bright for me inside.
Interestingly the dealer said they would retrofit the sports exhaust to that one at the new cost price.
As it is the one I bought had it already.
Also has carbon trim inside which is a nice touch but again who would spend £1200 or so on that ?
Has the ACC which i am unlikely to use much, but the collision warning/assistance stuff seems like a good idea, just hope I never need it !
Old 07-26-2019, 05:21 AM
rsyed
Racer

oh K777... that is a nasty ending of a beautiful car.

Thank god no one got injured. Compliments to your new car - looks amazing.
K777 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:42 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow, glad you're okay. A decent dashcam has always been on my list of tihngs to get.
-- Mike
K777 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 08:55 PM
bosch
Advanced

Cars can be replaced... glad you are ok...
K777 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 AM
rsyed
Racer

Just managed this last night... 50km is the closest I got to what Porsche quotes you (51km) for the e-reach. The second i took the picture, the engine went on. Evening drive, constant speed, no a/c running (just for testing purposes :-)), 25ish degrees outside..

xBlueStreakx (08-02-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 06:35 PM
pinballplanet
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New build input

Ok good people,

My order is in with a build date in November. My build is pictured below. However I’m thinking about adding the insulated glass. Also wondering if the RAS is something I can do without and not miss. Interestingly, the dealer felt that RAS was usually not worth it and same for the 7.2 charger, both of which I’ve opted for.

Have at it folks. Your input is sought.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 07-29-2019, 07:29 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

On my 2018 E-Hybrid I did not get the RWS and I haven't felt it was necessary at all. I did get the Power Steering Plus. I have 7500 miles on my car and never once did I think I needed RWS including tight parking lots and various U-Turns.
I looked over your build sheet and I noticed you have the Innodrive and Lane Keep Assist under the "Assistance Package". I originally was going to get both of those and fortunately a few of the European members on this thread who bought 2017 E-Hybrids told me they had purchased both of those and regretted it and they keep them turned off all the time. There have been others on this thread since then who have also complained about both those options. I can understand why you might want the PDLS but to be honest the "standard" lights are really fantastic. Lastly I can't comment on "Night Vision" but again the standard lights are quite illuminating so I really don't see a need for it either.
I do have the 7.2 kW Onboard Charger and it allows a full charge in only about 3 hours vs. a lot longer without it. Also, I thought it would be a positive for resale.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread