Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 12:27 PM
SharkB8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
That's cool - thanks for sharing thoughts from your experience. I continue to consider a track day but would rather not accelerate (ha) wear and tear on my tires, etc. Maybe I'll look for event where they supply the cars.
Be careful with this. It's a slippery slope. This is what caused our whole sale change out into a garage of Porsches. After tracking the Panny at PEC LA my wife side-eyed her lovely 2018 S5 in the parking lot and said "meh"....then laughed. (she still was sad to see it go, she gets really attached to cars).

I can absolutely confirm what Pietpara says, as I also have both (718BGTS and new Panny-E). It'll decimate "most" competition quite handily and is properly sorted in the power delivery and handling at speed.

YMMV.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:45 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkB8
Be careful with this. It's a slippery slope. This is what caused our whole sale change out into a garage of Porsches. After tracking the Panny at PEC LA my wife side-eyed her lovely 2018 S5 in the parking lot and said "meh"....then laughed. (she still was sad to see it go, she gets really attached to cars).

I can absolutely confirm what Pietpara says, as I also have both (718BGTS and new Panny-E). It'll decimate "most" competition quite handily and is properly sorted in the power delivery and handling at speed.

YMMV.

Full disclosure I'm a PTT owner, so was just lurking and responded about the track day...but I hear you! "Fortunately" my wife insists on a 7 pass SUV which is why she drives a Land Rover Discovery and not a Cayenne Turbo...
Old 04-05-2019, 02:45 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
That's cool - thanks for sharing thoughts from your experience. I continue to consider a track day but would rather not accelerate (ha) wear and tear on my tires, etc. Maybe I'll look for event where they supply the cars.
I went with my summer set from last year which was almost due for change anyway. But indeed, in this training you also practice under and oversteer doing doughnuts, so tyres will be wasted.
In any case, at the event here you were able to rent a Porsche for the day, but at a price equal to, or more than, a new set of tyres.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:57 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed
you still go through the tunnel

just that before you get on the train to go through the tunnel, you need to provide paperwork and I assume you will have to wait as there will be additional custom checks... and when you leave the train after arriving at your destination, you wait again to get cleared through customs...
You have to be very careful at both Folkestone and Calais ends of the Channel Tunnel. The kerbs are very nasty, high and the radius of the corners are very tight, as you go through the various customs and passport checking areas. I was in the queue for wide vehicles and both I and the Ferrari GT4 Lusso behind me, had both clipped our wheels in spite of going very slowly and carefully.

I had hoped to go to France at the end of next week but I have to have a minor operation on an eye next week (laser burning off of cloudiness on a cataract replacement lens). The hospital recommended I stay in the UK for a minimum of 10 days afterwards to check that my intra-ocular pressure does not increase, which is a rare complication. I do not want to travel over Easter, so that puts everything back another week. By that time our totally incompetent, bigoted and blinkered politicians may well have declared war on Europe or the Europrats may have finally lost patience with them and thrown the UK out, so who knows what will happen by then.

The lowering of the margin on French autoroute speed limits is new from last year and came in at the same time as the reduction of the limit on single carriageway roads from 90kph to 80kph. This was one driver of the "Gilets jaunes" protests. With the non-converting digital speedometer on the Panamera still not fixed, one year on from my alerting Porsche GB to the problem and the total uselessness of the analogue speedo, I am going to have to be very careful on speeds when I am in France, if I do not want my wallet constantly depleted.

Wilson
Old 04-08-2019, 02:48 PM
speed77
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 101 Posts

I recently got quoted a pretty high amount to have the sport exhaust system retrofitting on my 18 hybrid (over 6k). I figured for that amount I could purchase an aftermarket exhaust. I know akrapovic makes an exhaust for the Turbo Hybrid but not sure about the 4 hybrid. Has anyone upgraded their exhaust with an aftermarket alternative?
Old 04-08-2019, 03:25 PM
911topanamera
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by speed77
I recently got quoted a pretty high amount to have the sport exhaust system retrofitting on my 18 hybrid (over 6k). I figured for that amount I could purchase an aftermarket exhaust. I know akrapovic makes an exhaust for the Turbo Hybrid but not sure about the 4 hybrid. Has anyone upgraded their exhaust with an aftermarket alternative?
I deleted my cats, basically got new pipes in it to make it straight piped. posted a video of it below. I love a super loud exhaust, but its not for everyone. ARMYTRIX just made an exhaust for the 4 hybrid that sounds good as well. I think it removes your secondary cats but not your primary. I think its bout 5-6k tho, if youre looking for something like that.

https://www.armytrix.com/product/por...971-4s-ehybrid

Old 04-11-2019, 07:55 PM
speed77
Racer

It definitely sounds nice though I'm not sure it's for me. I'll check out armytrix. Anyone ever hear of cargraphicts exhaust?
Old 04-12-2019, 05:26 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

i have upgraded by standard exhaust with the OEM sports exhaust - it cost me 4340€ (initial quote was 4700€), so approximately 5k USD. I was also in contact with Akrapovic and at that time they quoted about 6K for their system. I liked the thought of being able to turn the exhaust on and off in the PCM and that is why I went for the OEM version. The first reaction is that it is not loud but that is partly because the Panamera is very well insulated. But the quality of sound (like when your foot goes off the pedal or when you switch gears) is very very addictive - I love it :-)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:23 AM
speed77
Racer

Thanks for the info! I spoke with Akra and they don't have a model for the standard e-hybrid just the hybrid turbo. Are you able to control the sports exhaust only through the PCM or do you also have a button on the center console?

Last edited by speed77; 04-12-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:20 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Originally Posted by rsyed
i have upgraded by standard exhaust with the OEM sports exhaust - it cost me 4340€ (initial quote was 4700€), so approximately 5k USD. I was also in contact with Akrapovic and at that time they quoted about 6K for their system. I liked the thought of being able to turn the exhaust on and off in the PCM and that is why I went for the OEM version. The first reaction is that it is not loud but that is partly because the Panamera is very well insulated. But the quality of sound (like when your foot goes off the pedal or when you switch gears) is very very addictive - I love it :-)
Great to hear!
I really love it too. It makes driving in e-mode just so boring.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:14 PM
rsyed
Racer

Originally Posted by pietpara
Great to hear!
I really love it too. It makes driving in e-mode just so boring.
boring yes... but very economical ;-)
Old 04-13-2019, 04:39 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 911topanamera
I deleted my cats, basically got new pipes in it to make it straight piped. posted a video of it below. I love a super loud exhaust, but its not for everyone. ARMYTRIX just made an exhaust for the 4 hybrid that sounds good as well. I think it removes your secondary cats but not your primary. I think its bout 5-6k tho, if youre looking for something like that.

https://www.armytrix.com/product/por...971-4s-ehybrid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJut-C8n5A
In the UK, if you removed the secondary cats, your vehicle would be unlikely to pass the obligatory emissions test that comes in when the vehicle is three years old and every year thereafter. You might also invalidate your Porsche warranty and at least in the UK, would have to negotiate with your insurer.

The original exhausts on my Three Wheeler Morgan, when I was using it at my house in the south of France in the summer, due to the excessive baffling in the pipes, were causing the engine to overheat with subsequent really bad pre-ignition/pinking. Morgan wanted to use very small silencers and to pass the drive by noise regulations, had to insert three baffles in each pipe. This was backing up the hot exhaust gas into each cylinder of the air cooled S&S X-Wedge Vee Twin. I fitted different pipes from people called Garage 56, with much bigger silencers but no baffles and the engine ran hugely better. I still had to retain the original catalysts, or the car would not have passed its emissions test or even run properly. I had to inform my insurer but they did not charge me any extra premium, as the prime purpose of the new exhausts was not performance but to stop overheating. I recently changed insurer to the official Morgan UK insurance scheme. When they asked if the vehicle had been modified from standard, I declared the different exhausts and why they had been fitted. They said: "Oh yes we know all about that problem with the original exhausts in hot climates." Of course, Morgan did no hot climate testing before releasing the vehicle and left that up to customers.

On a different point, when I took my Panamera in for the instrument cluster recall software update this week, I said I could not locate the rear camera wash on my menu, although I seem to recall I had found it in the past. The answer originally was: "you don't have rear camera wash on your Panamera, even though it has Park Assist and PDLS." However I asked to have the mechanic check. He reported back to the service department that I did indeed have rear camera wash but the nozzle was blocked. He had unblocked it and it was now working. Sadly he did not report how to activate it. I wonder if it is automatic, if you put the vehicle into reverse, when the wipers on the windscreen are active (I don't have a rear screen wiper as it got missed off the build spec). Anyone know?

Wilson

PS I have found the rear camera wash. It is a bit like when the tourist driving on the Ring of Kerry, stopped to ask an Irish farmer at the side of the road" "What is the best way back to Shannon Airport?" The reply was: "Oh well sorr, if you wants to be gettin' there, you'd best not be startin' from here."

I was approaching the rear assist camera from the car settings menu and that way no wash item appears. However if you approach from the Assist menu, select Park Assist then Rear Camera, a button appears on the lower left side of the rear camera's view on screen, which says "Wash". A screen press on that virtual button and you can see the wash occurring on screen. W.

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 04-13-2019 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:17 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
In the UK, if you removed the secondary cats, your vehicle would be unlikely to pass the obligatory emissions test that comes in when the vehicle is three years old and every year thereafter. You might also invalidate your Porsche warranty and at least in the UK, would have to negotiate with your insurer.

The original exhausts on my Three Wheeler Morgan, when I was using it at my house in the south of France in the summer, due to the excessive baffling in the pipes, were causing the engine to overheat with subsequent really bad pre-ignition/pinking. Morgan wanted to use very small silencers and to pass the drive by noise regulations, had to insert three baffles in each pipe. This was backing up the hot exhaust gas into each cylinder of the air cooled S&S X-Wedge Vee Twin. I fitted different pipes from people called Garage 56, with much bigger silencers but no baffles and the engine ran hugely better. I still had to retain the original catalysts, or the car would not have passed its emissions test or even run properly. I had to inform my insurer but they did not charge me any extra premium, as the prime purpose of the new exhausts was not performance but to stop overheating. I recently changed insurer to the official Morgan UK insurance scheme. When they asked if the vehicle had been modified from standard, I declared the different exhausts and why they had been fitted. They said: "Oh yes we know all about that problem with the original exhausts in hot climates." Of course, Morgan did no hot climate testing before releasing the vehicle and left that up to customers.

On a different point, when I took my Panamera in for the instrument cluster recall software update this week, I said I could not locate the rear camera wash on my menu, although I seem to recall I had found it in the past. The answer originally was: "you don't have rear camera wash on your Panamera, even though it has Park Assist and PDLS." However I asked to have the mechanic check. He reported back to the service department that I did indeed have rear camera wash but the nozzle was blocked. He had unblocked it and it was now working. Sadly he did not report how to activate it. I wonder if it is automatic, if you put the vehicle into reverse, when the wipers on the windscreen are active (I don't have a rear screen wiper as it got missed off the build spec). Anyone know?

Wilson

PS I have found the rear camera wash. It is a bit like when the tourist driving on the Ring of Kerry, stopped to ask an Irish farmer at the side of the road" "What is the best way back to Shannon Airport?" The reply was: "Oh well sorr, if you wants to be gettin' there, you'd best not be startin' from here."

I was approaching the rear assist camera from the car settings menu and that way no wash item appears. However if you approach from the Assist menu, select Park Assist then Rear Camera, a button appears on the lower left side of the rear camera's view on screen, which says "Wash". A screen press on that virtual button and you can see the wash occurring on screen. W.
I tried it but on my 2017 G2 the magical wash button does not appear. I don't see a nozzle anywhere either.
So I guess the early G2s do not have this or it was an option.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:28 AM
rsyed
Racer

Originally Posted by pietpara
I tried it but on my 2017 G2 the magical wash button does not appear. I don't see a nozzle anywhere either.
So I guess the early G2s do not have this or it was an option.
can't find it on my 2018 ST either...
Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Andy Mac
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Milage

Hi,
Likewise with the milage, I've never seen the battery above 14 miles and then after a few 100 yards it drops to 12 quite quickly. I can push around 16 mike's in total out of the battery charge when showing 12 miles. 6 or so on A roads and the remainder on the motorway.
Likewise, it's the frst Porsche I've owned...
Love it....

Happy driving.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread