Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:07 PM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that you are even having to consider this - sad times indeed.

The highest range mine has ever advertised is 27 miles (22 degrees outside and charged fully). The lowest is about 20 miles (7 degrees outside). The actual range varies to a huge degree. My daily trip to the train is up/down steep(ish) hills and 3 miles each way. Including a morning heating, the battery is dead after 2.5 days (i.e. 12 miles!). That said, 50mph constant speed and I think 30 miles is doable.

My suspicion is you are generally angry about the whole situation and looking for points to hang your hat on. If it helps (may not) - you will love the car when it arrives. Jeckle and Hyde like no other car - sublime wafting meets rasping blood hound.

If you build it they will come? They have built it, and you will go get it...eventually!
Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM
rklann
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi "soCali", Yes mine is on American Highway. Since I have not officially been delayed, I have not as yet talked to my dealer (San Diego Porsche). Once they offically move my delivery date I will bring up the subject of compensation. It appears that "corrigb" was offered a compensation package I can use as an example, "additional year of maintenance and $1000 to spend on accessories at the dealer"
Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Thanks AJ

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Sorry that you are even having to consider this - sad times indeed.

The highest range mine has ever advertised is 27 miles (22 degrees outside and charged fully). The lowest is about 20 miles (7 degrees outside). The actual range varies to a huge degree. My daily trip to the train is up/down steep(ish) hills and 3 miles each way. Including a morning heating, the battery is dead after 2.5 days (i.e. 12 miles!). That said, 50mph constant speed and I think 30 miles is doable.

My suspicion is you are generally angry about the whole situation and looking for points to hang your hat on. If it helps (may not) - you will love the car when it arrives. Jeckle and Hyde like no other car - sublime wafting meets rasping blood hound.

If you build it they will come? They have built it, and you will go get it...eventually!
I really want this car!! Not looking for an excuse to abandon the order but seriously concerned about the battery situation. I just received a response from PCNA indicating December is the most likely time now for certification. That means the battery will have been without any charge for five months assuming early December is correct. Glad to hear you are seeing 27 miles as your fully charged indication. I have a golf troiley that uses a Lithium battery and it's manual clearly states not to leave the battery in an uncharged state but to leave it connected to power when not in use. I'm curious if you can tell me if your car's manual has similar instructions in it regarding leaving the battery unconnected to power for extended periods?? Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:02 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Here is what I found online from page 76 of the manual:

The following is from the Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid manual page 76 and I have underlined and highlighted in Red the pertinent wording:

High-voltage battery care

Care instructions
Due to the physical properties of the high-voltage battery, the battery capacity is reduced during its life cycle and as a result, the maximum electric range available is also reduced.

The following measures can have a positive effect on the amount of battery capacity lost during its life cycle:

Charge the high-voltage battery using the charging timer function.
If possible, avoid exposing the vehicle to high temperatures, such as parking it in direct sunlight.

Notes on leaving the vehicle standing for long periods
For standing times longer than one month:

Do not leave the vehicle with a discharged highvoltage battery, but connect it permanently to the mains supply for charging/trickle charging.
If a permanent connection of the vehicle to the mains supply is not possible:

Charge the high-voltage battery fully (charge state 100%) before parking the vehicle.
Check the charge state every three month and recharge if necessary.
Deactivate timer-controlled parking preclimatization.
Deactivate precool/heat timer.
Avoid using the Porsche Car Connect smartphone app. Establishing the connection between the app and the vehicle activates the high-voltage system, thus it discharges the high-voltage battery.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:09 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Damn, so you have a good point!!

I guess you closely monitor de-charge rates and keep the dealer informed post collection so you have evidence if there has been material damage. I'd be surprised if it was noticeable but you cannot argue with the manual.

You are going to have to take a LOT of pictures when the big day finally rolls around in the US.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
So I know some of you are familiar with my situation: my E-Hybrid completed at the end of June, sat in Europe (don't know where) for a month, then on the ship for three weeks, arriving in San Diego port 9/15. Still waiting for EPA and CARB to certify the car. I am concerned about the battery condition. Most likely the battery has not been charged since the build was completed in June. Certainly not since it was on the boat. Anyway, my question for you is what is the maximum distance reading you see on your screen when it is fully charged before motoring off in the morning? Porsche states "up to 50 kilometers" (~30 miles for US) as the potential distance on electric only so I'm thinking your full charge reading should be something around 50 KM, right?
The reason I'm asking is so that when I finally get to the dealer to pick up the car in a fully charged state, I'm wanting to know what it should read if the battery is still in good condition.
At this point I am seriously considering walking away from the deal. Thanks for your help.
Hi Lefty,
this is a tricky one to answer as it depends on various things!

during the summer months i was getting 22 or 23 miles showing as the range on a full charge but i think the total mileage depends on how you use the electric charge and as i use it in electric only mode to get to the station and some of the roads are 70mph dual carriageways i probably use more electricity than most.
Now we're heading in to winter my total range is showing as being 18 miles (at least that's what it was this morning.

i don't recall it ever saying 30 miles even on day one! if you drive it like a milk float in the middle of summer then maybe you'll get 30 miles but who drives like that.

hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:20 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Thank you both (AJ and Thorfun) for your information. I'm guessing as long as the range initially shows something greater than 23 miles it should be an indication the battery isn't damaged. I'm wondering if there is some sort of test or diagnostic the dealership can run that will indicate the condition of the battery??
Old 11-02-2017, 01:22 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Also, can you tell me what the warranty terms and conditions are on the battery pack?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:30 AM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Also, can you tell me what the warranty terms and conditions are on the battery pack?
I don't know the answer to that, sorry. not even looked at it! I don't tend to keep my cars for more than 3 years anyway so I'm hoping it's not going to be an issue for me.

Mission E should be here in 2020.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:05 PM
rklann
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my E-hybrid arrived at Port San Diego today, per my Porsche dealer. Now the wait offically begins for CARB and EPA. Lastest from my dealer is sometime in December, maybe sooner lets hope!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:37 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Apparently you can order the Mission E now, or at least keep a place in the line?!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:42 AM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Apparently you can order the Mission E now, or at least keep a place in the line?!
hmmm....interesting. might look in to that next time I'm at the dealership. as long as I don't have to put any money down and am not committing to anything I can't see it doing any harm!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:13 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by thorfun
hmmm....interesting. might look in to that next time I'm at the dealership. as long as I don't have to put any money down and am not committing to anything I can't see it doing any harm!
Here in the U.S. many dealerships are taking deposits (anywhere from $1000 - $5000) and that gets you a place in line. Those who are accepting the deposits already have quite a few. People are assuming the final car will closely resemble the concept car but the "mules" that have been spotted and photographed thus far (see Mission E Forum) look like a Panamera and not very much like the Concept Car. I am very interested but won't put any money down until I see the actual car and read the reviews. I plan to keep my new E-Hybrid (once I finally get it!!) for at least 3 years so plenty of time to make up my mind.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:59 PM
tp81
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great thread and lots of useful information. Just ordered my car (Wednesday) which should be here April 2018. I currently drive an M5 (second F10) and had ordered the new one due 2018, cancelled the order and have chosen to go down the hybrid route. Could not be happier and really looking forward to the car. Should also say I am a huge Porsche fan and have a few others, 1973 E, 1980 930, 1996 993RS.

Specification of the car:

Jet Black Metallic
Leather interior in Black, smooth-finish leather
SportDesign package Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Deletion of model designation
LED main headlights with matrix beam including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Tinted LED taillights including light strip Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
ParkAssist including Surround View
Panoramic roof system
Privacy glass
Rear-axle steering including Power steering Plus
Sports exhaust system Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
21-inch 911 Turbo Design wheels
HomeLink® (garage door opener), 433 MHz
18-way Adaptive Sports Seats (front) with memory package
Seat heating (front & rear seats)
Steering wheel heating
Cupholder covers (front)
Porsche Crest embossed on headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Personalised floor mats with leather edging (deep-pile) Porsche
Burmester® High-End 3D Surround Sound System
Old 11-10-2017, 04:11 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Wow, nice spec!! Jealous of the sound system...

Have no doubt you will be one happy man in April.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread