Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 06:19 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I had a rather bizarre thing happen to me this evening: I went out to my garage to unplug my 2018 E-Hybrid, and the plug wouldn't come out. I spent quite some time trying to figure out why it wouldn't unlock... before I finally realized that the car was locked! I never lock my car in my garage, which is the only place that I really charge my car (I don't bring my charger with me anywhere), so I had never realized that when the car is locked and the car plugged in, the plug is locked into the charging port also. I must've heard that somewhere long ago, but it just didn't register as a possible reason why the plug wouldn't come out. Well, I unlocked the car, and the charger plug popped right out... Good feature to have if you're charging in a public place -- very logical. Just didn't register, and I started wondering if it was broken and if I'd have to call Porsche to come to the house to fix it! Not sure how my car got locked accidentally, but next time I'll know to check! Am I the only one this has happened to?
I have had my plug stick in twice when the car is unlocked. I found the solution is to turn on the "ignition" switch, when you will get the message: "unable to start as charging lead connected". Turn off, lock the car with the key fob (not the comfort access gesture). Then unlock again with the key fob, open the left rear door and the charging plug will release. I wonder if the software is so complicated and the safety interlocks so numerous, that occasionally it can go out of sequence. In an emergency, I believe there is a manual release for the charge plug behind the left hand panel in the luggage area but I have never had to use that to date. The resetting procedure worked for me on the two times that the plug has locked in. Both times were in very cold weather and I wonder if the unlocking/locking solenoid at the charging socket had become frozen and cycling the system, resulted in it unlocking. I find the drain on the charging socket becomes blocked very easily with leaf debris in autumn/winter and a considerable amount of water can then accumulate in the socket. This water could easily wick down into the plug lock/release solenoid and freeze. I now keep in the car, a rubber bulb blower made for cleaning digital camera sensors, to unblock the drain by blowing down through it. Another bit of less than brilliant design on the Panamera.

Wilson
Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,
Funny stuff! Happened to me too but realized quickly that it was because the car was locked. It can happen simply with the slightest touch on the door handle after closing the door causing doors to lock.

And, beware... if you are plugged in, sit in your car e.g. to fool around, activate door locks, open your driver seat door, the other doors and the plug remain locked! Just touch door handle inside of door closest to plug lid again and it unlocks.

Cheers
Old 05-22-2019, 10:18 AM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

I have a question on the 7.2 kw onbarod charger. I am beginning my search for a Turbo S and there is one I like with a nice configuration but missing the 7.2 kW charger in the spec. Is this a deal killer? Will I regret not having it?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2019, 04:30 PM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

GoBlue, I think the answer depends on how you will use the car. How important is it for you to get a quick turn-around on charging? In our case, the lack of the 7.2kW charger has not proven to be a problem. Our usage pattern is to charge overnight (plenty of time), and start out in the morning with a full battery, which typically lasts the whole day with no gas consumption. Only rarely do we even want to charge during the day, and then if there's not enough time there is always gas back-up. But your driving needs might be different.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:35 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Same with me as with louver: I didn't get the 7.2-kW onboard charger, and I don't regret it at all. I charge fully overnight, every night, on only 120-volt outlets in my garage, so I haven't upgraded to a 240-volt setup yet, either. (And I really use the PHEV aspect of my E-Hybrid to the max, with it as a daily driver: I'm doing well over half my drive time in all-electric mode, still going 900-1200 miles on a single tank of gas, and only having to fill up on gas about once every 5-6 weeks, when I'm not taking out-of-town trips. I often will go numerous days in a row of daily driving without the ICE ever coming on.)

If somebody will come out with an awesome 20- or 30-kWh battery pack in a fun-to-drive PHEV like the Panamera E-Hybrid, to give twice the all-electric range, I'll go running to that, probably -- and upgrade the charging-speed infrastructure. But for a 14-kWh battery pack? nah...
Old 05-23-2019, 12:41 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Thanks for the reply louver and comet. Good stuff to think about. Looking for a well optioned 18 lot Turbo S ST and trying to narrow down a limited set of available cars to start reaching out to and negotiating.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:24 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I thought I would regret not having the 7.2 charger, turns out I do not. I charge overnight and opportunistically during the day.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:41 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by louver
GoBlue, I think the answer depends on how you will use the car. How important is it for you to get a quick turn-around on charging? In our case, the lack of the 7.2kW charger has not proven to be a problem. Our usage pattern is to charge overnight (plenty of time), and start out in the morning with a full battery, which typically lasts the whole day with no gas consumption. Only rarely do we even want to charge during the day, and then if there's not enough time there is always gas back-up. But your driving needs might be different.
Agreed "about how you use the car".. I do a lot of short trips during the day and a stop off at home for 30-60 minutes for a quick charge really helps. I have the upgraded on board charger and 240v coming into my garage. I am still waiting for the temperatures to stabilze up here (Canada) so that I can test how far I can normally drive per tank in each driving mode (Hybrid, Sport and Sport +). :-)
Old 05-27-2019, 04:41 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 11kW charger at home and a 3,6kW charger at work. My car has a built in "fast" 7,2kW charger.

I have to admit - when i briefly go home, i hook the car up to the charger and enjoy getting extra e-miles. When i come to work, I find it very frustrating how slowly the battery charges - sometimes I am even demotivated to charge it knowing that I will be leaving the office in an hour maybe, and the hour charging results in something like a 1/4 of the battery to be charged whereas at home, an hour returns you nearly 1/2 e-capacity. I guess if you are used to fast charging, anything slower becomes frustrating but if you don't know what fast charging is like, then obviously you won't be missing much :-)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:40 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

For those eHybrid owners in cold climates, how is the pre-heat function work? In Minnesota it is below freezing for almost half the year so pre-heat is important. More specifically, I am looking at a few 2018 lot cars that do not have steering wheel heat. I have considered this a deal killer and I have crossed those off, but is it easy to active the pre-heat function remotely and does that function do an adequate job warming the car so that the steering wheel heat would be redundant? I'd like to be able to warm the car from the house before taking the kids to school or warm the car a few minutes before leaving the mall/restaurant so that the interior is already warm. Normally I'd require a steering wheel heater but wonder if on this model it is not necessary.

Also can the pre-heat be triggered remotely on a smartphone via the Porsche Connect app?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 03:01 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pre-heat works very well indeed, taking the car up to a balmy whatever is already set. The only Downside is it eats through the battery so depending on the outside temperature, it can use circa 25% then of course the batteries are generally less effective in the cold and with heating on etc.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I think I am correct in saying that the 7.2 kWH charger is standard on European market cars. The person who specified the Hybrid I bought (after he decided he did not want it) also did not specify the steering wheel heater, which in the dead of winter I do miss. We must really be becoming a bunch of snowflakes, where we cannot put on gloves to deal with a cold steering wheel I use the pre-cool more than I use the pre-heat.

Wilson
Old 06-19-2019, 07:51 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I think I am correct in saying that the 7.2 kWH charger is standard on European market cars. The person who specified the Hybrid I bought (after he decided he did not want it) also did not specify the steering wheel heater, which in the dead of winter I do miss. We must really be becoming a bunch of snowflakes, where we cannot put on gloves to deal with a cold steering wheel I use the pre-cool more than I use the pre-heat.

Wilson
in Austria, the 7,2kW charger is a 700+€ option.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBlue!
For those eHybrid owners in cold climates, how is the pre-heat function work? In Minnesota it is below freezing for almost half the year so pre-heat is important. More specifically, I am looking at a few 2018 lot cars that do not have steering wheel heat. I have considered this a deal killer and I have crossed those off, but is it easy to active the pre-heat function remotely and does that function do an adequate job warming the car so that the steering wheel heat would be redundant? I'd like to be able to warm the car from the house before taking the kids to school or warm the car a few minutes before leaving the mall/restaurant so that the interior is already warm. Normally I'd require a steering wheel heater but wonder if on this model it is not necessary.

Also can the pre-heat be triggered remotely on a smartphone via the Porsche Connect app?

Thanks
The pre-heat and pre-cool seem to work fine, the few times I have used them. But as mentioned, you have a trade off between this comfort feature and battery depletion from using it. I feel that the car heats and cools fast enough once on the road that the PRE feature is not needed for me as my car is kept in a garage. And YES, you are able to start the climate control from the Porsche Connect App on your phone. As far as the heated steering wheel goes, ever since I experienced this feature several cars ago, I do not think I could do without. I am not a fan of wearing gloves, so this feature is fantastic. it heats almost instantly and maintains a very comfortable feel when driving on those frigid days. It just completes the entire luxury feel of this already luxurious vehicle. Hard to say if the lack of wheel heating would be a deal stopper for me on a deal that is almost perfect for me. It just might be. Good luck on your search and look forward to seeing what you end up with.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM
GoBlue!
Pro

Thanks for the replies guys. the search continues. I’d hate to spend so much and not have a basic item like steering wheel heating.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread