Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Buying used 4 e-hybrid - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 12:53 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

In California, Porsche’s hybrid battery warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles. That is amazing peace of mind. I think it’s 7 years in other states.

I agree that 971 hybrid batteries are improved and the bad experiences have been with 970 hybrids. And I don’t fully buy the argument that in a few years, 971 owners will be sharing the same complaints as 970 owners. I’ve seen a lot of complaints about 2016 (970) hybrids and none about 2017 (971) complaints.

If you somehow plan to keep a hybrid Panamera for longer than the 7 or 8 years of hybrid battery warranty (depending on where you live), then you should either buy extended warranty or be prepared to foot the bill on any issue. By the way, this is no different than anything else on the Panamera and everything else has a shorter warranty. Hybrid or not, lots of other things can go wrong so owning a Panamera outside of warranty is never a good idea unless one is willing to foot the bill and not complain about it.
The following users liked this post:
jrcrmr (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 04:34 PM
Thinker
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
In California, Porsche’s hybrid battery warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles. That is amazing peace of mind. I think it’s 7 years in other states.

I agree that 971 hybrid batteries are improved and the bad experiences have been with 970 hybrids. And I don’t fully buy the argument that in a few years, 971 owners will be sharing the same complaints as 970 owners. I’ve seen a lot of complaints about 2016 (970) hybrids and none about 2017 (971) complaints.

If you somehow plan to keep a hybrid Panamera for longer than the 7 or 8 years of hybrid battery warranty (depending on where you live), then you should either buy extended warranty or be prepared to foot the bill on any issue. By the way, this is no different than anything else on the Panamera and everything else has a shorter warranty. Hybrid or not, lots of other things can go wrong so owning a Panamera outside of warranty is never a good idea unless one is willing to foot the bill and not complain about it.
The warranty is from when the car is first in service, so if you are buying a used CPO you might not have that many years left unless you purchase an extended warranty. And I don't believe this is the same as anything else. Not too many repairs cost $30k to replace like the hybrid battery. Plus, it took considerable effort to get the battery replaced, and it involved multiple visits to the repair shop, talking to the general manager, and getting an attorney involved. Otherwise they would not have replaced it.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:00 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Agree. What has kind of soured me on the brand is nor that the batteries fail, rather that Porsche is gouging owners to rhe tune of $25k when other manufacturers are charging 1/5th that. Can't make the Porsche engineering argument on a box full of the same lithium ion cells everyone else uses.

Batteries rarely ever fail before 7 years, so dont get too confident because your 2018 has not had problems. Just for fun, ask your dealer about replacement cost!
Old 03-06-2022, 09:14 PM
jrcrmr
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amphicar770
Agree. What has kind of soured me on the brand is nor that the batteries fail, rather that Porsche is gouging owners to rhe tune of $25k when other manufacturers are charging 1/5th that. Can't make the Porsche engineering argument on a box full of the same lithium ion cells everyone else uses.

Batteries rarely ever fail before 7 years, so dont get too confident because your 2018 has not had problems. Just for fun, ask your dealer about replacement cost!

It's obvious that you don't like Porsche anymore and particularly the e-hybrids. Your point has been made. Multiple times. Is there a reason you keep repeating it here?
The following 2 users liked this post by jrcrmr:
SS22 (03-07-2022), Zola3515 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 11:21 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Originally Posted by jrcrmr
It's obvious that you don't like Porsche anymore and particularly the e-hybrids. Your point has been made. Multiple times. Is there a reason you keep repeating it here?
Actually, yes. I hope someone from Porsche takes notice and recognizes the huge disservice they are doing to their customers, the environment, and their brand.
Dr. G7 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 11:22 PM
jrcrmr
Intermediate

then contact Porsche. you stated your opinion and offer no further value to this conversation other than frustration of the 970 hybrid
SS22 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 11:31 PM
amphicar770
Racer

There is an ignore user button if it bothers you that much. I realize some people are fan bois who don't like any criticism of their brand or being reminded that they are being played by the company they hand tons of money to.

But, thank you for your truly constructive feedback.
Dr. G7 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 11:33 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 109 Posts

If you’re looking to buy a used EV. You would ideally like to look at the battery SOH - State of Health. It should be a parameter in theory and should be part of a PPI if it’s available.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:34 PM
jrcrmr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amphicar770
There is an ignore user button if it bothers you that much. I realize some people are fan bois who don't like any criticism of their brand or being reminded that they are being played by the company they hand tons of money to.

But, thank you for your truly constructive feedback.
not a matter of being a fan boi; i subscribed to this thread (and i'm sure others will search and end up here) because i'm buying a CPO e-hybrid and wanted to get some useful info. you are upset (possibly rightfully) about something that happened in the past and want to consistently vent your frustrations here.
SS22 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 11:39 PM
trongngo97
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel like with Porsche everyone should throw the idea of "value" out of the way. Porsche has been and will not stop being overpriced. The only deals I see are used Turbos, or else you're always overpaying for a Porsche and all the maintenance and repairs that entail.

That said, if you want an EV and worry about battery replacement cost, may I interest you in a Tesla Model S and all that crap build quality. The replacement will run you 15-20k for remanufactured packs. That's the only comp I can think of, because the EQS hasn't been out long enough to know how much Mercedes will charge for replacement. Or maybe the Lexus LS600h, but that's it. The S-class, GT 4-door, A7 and A8, and 7 and 8 series all don't have hybrids. I'm sorry I can't think of any other off the top of my head. If you're buying a used Panamera Hybrid, do the due diligence as stated above. If you didn't, that's on you, and works the same way for any other car purchase. The battery is warranted for 7 years (or 8 years in CA as @SS22 mentioned), so if you're uncomfortable with the replacement cost and thinks the battery will eventually fail, buy an extended warranty.

Also don't even mention Toyota or Chevy. I get that lithium is a commodity, but unless you figure out how to put a Prius battery pack into the Panamera, you add literally nothing to the argument. Yes Porsche is overcharging for everything, but have you met Ferrari owners?

FWIW, I'm the opposite of an EV nerd, so my knowledge is limited. I still think the new Hybrids are the best choice in the Panamera range.
The following 3 users liked this post by trongngo97:
jrcrmr (03-06-2022), MKC91 (01-08-2023), SS22 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 12:47 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thinker
The warranty is from when the car is first in service, so if you are buying a used CPO you might not have that many years left unless you purchase an extended warranty. And I don't believe this is the same as anything else. Not too many repairs cost $30k to replace like the hybrid battery. Plus, it took considerable effort to get the battery replaced, and it involved multiple visits to the repair shop, talking to the general manager, and getting an attorney involved. Otherwise they would not have replaced it.
Right, so OP is looking at 2018 or 2019 so he’d be covered for 3-5 more years depending on which MY OP gets and if they get the CA 8-year warranty or the 7 years in most other states. Still, can easily get an extended warranty even after that.

Not the same as anything else? If you intend to drive a Porsche past 8 years or 100,000 miles with no extended warranty, don’t come crying here that repair bills broke your wallet. You could be looking at a host of expensive repairs beyond 8 years or 100k miles, including total transmission or engine failure and replacement (heck I’ve read on Rennlist of a guy who had such bad luck that his Panamera needed a transmission replacement after only 30k miles). Also, one repair may not be $20k like a hybrid battery replacement would be *out of warranty* but multiple other repairs quickly can add up to that and more. The point is, you get extended warranty or live with any consequences.

Originally Posted by jrcrmr

then contact Porsche. you stated your opinion and offer no further value to this conversation other than frustration of the 970 hybrid
I second all of this! By the way, @jrcrmr , I think read earlier that you got a 2019 e-hybrid Panamera and it looks like you’re in CA. Congrats! Don’t worry about the issues a minority of folks have had with 970 hybrids. The 971s are improved and you’re also covered under the hybrid battery warranty until 2027!

EDIT: My 2022 warranty booklet says that the hybrid battery is covered under the “Federal Emissions-related components” warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles in all 50 states. The 2019 warranty booklet (linked here) seems to have similar coverage. So apologies for my comment earlier that other states covered for only 7 years and that CA was 8 years or 100k miles (it’s 8 years or 80k miles). Not sure what the coverage is for pre-2019.

Last edited by SS22; 03-07-2022 at 01:05 AM.
jrcrmr (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 12:45 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

My '22 car (Virginia) definitely covered for 8 years. BTW, the Porsche 10y/100K extended warranty I bought specifically excludes the battery (and frame!) along with the usual stuff.

I have to believe that, given the enormous increase in EVs we are seeing, battery replacement will become a commodity in the next few years, a la iPhone battery replacement. There are already a few places popping up and at significant discount from Porsche.

Add me in to the "YGBSM" for $25K at the dealer...that can't last, there will be dead PHEV Porsches laying around worth less than the repair fee in a few years. Someone will figure it out.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:27 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orca15
My '22 car (Virginia) definitely covered for 8 years. BTW, the Porsche 10y/100K extended warranty I bought specifically excludes the battery (and frame!) along with the usual stuff.

I have to believe that, given the enormous increase in EVs we are seeing, battery replacement will become a commodity in the next few years, a la iPhone battery replacement. There are already a few places popping up and at significant discount from Porsche.

Add me in to the "YGBSM" for $25K at the dealer...that can't last, there will be dead PHEV Porsches laying around worth less than the repair fee in a few years. Someone will figure it out.
I definitely agree. There’s already a few places in the country replacing Porsche hybrid batteries for under $10k and more will pop up. Excellent point. Porsche will also have to “adjust” its repair cost both to compete (remember, dealers make tons of money from their service departments) and also to avoid the image of the brand being tainted as unreliable (they’re clearly going in the direction of more PHEVs and EVs).

Good to know that the 10-year Porsche extended warranty doesn’t cover the hybrid battery that’s already covered for 8 years. But you can get non-Porsche warranties for it after the 8 years if you want.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:42 PM
Paul Parkes
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remapping a 2017 971 Hybrid 4

Hi all,

I have a 2017 Panamera E hybrid 4 with the 330bhp 2.9 V6 twin turbo engine, I am thinking about getting it remapped.

The question is does anyone know what the difference is between the 330bhp & 440bhp version of this engine?

I spoke to a couple of remappers and they say the are they exact same engine with the 330bhp version detuned from the ECU.

Does anyone know for sure if this is true?
Old 03-07-2022, 03:51 PM
k2s0
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
I definitely agree. There’s already a few places in the country replacing Porsche hybrid batteries for under $10k and more will pop up. Excellent point. Porsche will also have to “adjust” its repair cost both to compete (remember, dealers make tons of money from their service departments) and also to avoid the image of the brand being tainted as unreliable (they’re clearly going in the direction of more PHEVs and EVs).

Good to know that the 10-year Porsche extended warranty doesn’t cover the hybrid battery that’s already covered for 8 years. But you can get non-Porsche warranties for it after the 8 years if you want.
Do other warranty providers like Fidelity cover batteries? Feels like if Porsche excludes then other warranty providers will likely do the same, no?

Quick Reply: Buying used 4 e-hybrid - what to look for?